June 3rd, 2007

Gravel's would offer educational rewards for service

ATLANTA (CNN) –Spurning the suggestion of a return to the military draft, Sen. Mike Gravel advocated the idea of a voluntary program with built-in rewards to entice young Americans to serve their nation.

“I would like to see a voluntary program where young people would have an opportunity to render public service,” the former senator from Alaska said. “Whether it's in the military, whether it's the Peace Corps, whether it's the AmeriCorps, or all of the above….every year that you serve, we'll give you four years of school free.”

He added, “That will give you an incentive to move forward and do something about education in this country.”

– CNN Associate Producer Taylor Gandossy

Filed under: Mike Gravel
  1. Bill Pierce, glenrothes UK American citizen in the UK

Sen. Mike Gravel, showed to me he alone was the only free thinker. The rest were slippery fish.

June 3, 2007 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  2. Randy Ping, New Orleans LA

I wish that they hasd given gravel as much time as they gave Biden.

June 3, 2007 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  3. Anonymous

I thought the questions posed tonight were very good ones. I appreciate how difficult it is with such a large number of contenders. As a viewer, I disapprove of your not having allowed equal time to each candidate. How can the voters truly decide who they want to vote for in the Primaries if they don't hear as much "air time" from all of the candidates? We do have interest in what you have dubbed the "2nd and 3rd tier candidates". Please go back to the fair way and give each of the many candidates equal time, but during your, hopefully, next future candidate presentation. And please make your format exactly the same as you did today on Tuesday when Repubican candidates are scheduled.

American voters deserve to judge for themselves all of the candidates under equal formats and equal time.

You definitely slighted Biden, Dodd, Gravel, Richardson.

From an "engaged" voter.

June 3, 2007 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  4. Craig, Dallas, Tx

I thought Gravel's idea on this issue was brilliants. I hope whatever candidate secures the nomination will remember this idea and do something with it. As someone who graduated from college last month, I know first hand the dire financial pressure those entering college are faced with. A creative idea such as this is just what America needs to alleviate that pressure and at the same time give young people a chance to be involved in their country. The only other change I would make to it is make it two years for four years of college.

I also thought Edwards idea in the same vein was good, but not as appealing as this option.

June 3, 2007 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  5. Marge, Madison WI

They really did not give him very much time at all-disappointing. I think a lot of people wanted to know more about him since the last debate.
    Give us better coverage CNN.

June 3, 2007 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  6. Jake, dartmouth MA

Gravel has amazing ideas on most of the issues but he was never allowed to speak. ive seen hours of Gravel speaking on youtube and he is AMAZING if they would give him as much time as the "front runners" im sure alot of people would be amazed at what he has to say. they give him 10 second quips all he could do was try to push in a comment and it comes off as crazy because he is trying to make a point in 10 seconds where clinton is given 4x as much time.

June 3, 2007 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  7. GoldenT, Rochester, NY

I thought this was an interesting idea. It also seems harmonious with the Congressman Kucinich's desire that political leadership inspire the citizenry to service.

June 3, 2007 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  8. Bob, Hawaii

Great idea.

June 4, 2007 05:05 am at 5:05 am |
  9. Derek, Honolulu, HI

Four years of schooling for every one year of service? A year of schooling these days has got to cost something like $25,000 on average, so this guy is talking about paying someone $100K per year. That's absolutely ridiculous. Electrical engineers don't even make nearly that much in their 1st year out of school.

June 4, 2007 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |