June 3rd, 2007

J.C. Watts: Biden’s break-out performance?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Was there a break-out performance tonight? CNN Contributor Republican analyst J.C. Watts thought Biden came the closest, “I don’t think there was anyone who broke out, with the possible exception of Joe Biden.”

Senator Biden, D-Delaware, conveyed a sense of urgency when he raised his voice to get two points across. The first was over the vote for funding the troops. Dismissing the notion that his vote to fund the war had strengthened the insurgency, Biden accused Bush’s policies of “emboldening the enemy.”

Biden also spoke about the Sudan. He accused the government there of “engaging in genocide.” If the United Nations fails to act, “we should impose a no-fly zone and commit 2,500 U.S. troops,” urged Biden

Watts concluded that Biden had a “very good command of the issues,” and wonders if tonight’s performance will help him in the polls

– CNN Associate Producer David Gracey

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Warren Arends - Jonesboro, AR

Absolute "no brainer" thinking!!! Get real!!!

June 3, 2007 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  2. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

I honestly thought Biden did have a break out performance. Many people said that when he spoke about the Sudan that he was a bit emotional but it is an emotional issue. Genocide is an emotional issue, and why shouldn't people get emotional about it? It shows that they care. It was refreshing to see the assertiveness that Biden had tonight. I agree with Watts that he did have a "very good command of the issues", and I think that he will go up in the polls, however only time will tell.

June 3, 2007 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  3. Sean Mulvihill, Gresham, Oregon

I clapped when Biden spoke about Sudan. I didn't clap for any other candidate throughout the debate. Usually, my 'clap' indicator is a good compass (for myself). I switched my vote from Clinton to Biden after watching tonight's debate.

June 3, 2007 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  4. Bonnie, Toledo, OH

What a refreshing night thanks to Sen. Biden! Politics is just that – sit on the fence and sway where the polls go – not Joe! I applaud his heartfelt concern about the atrocities he has witnessed and his clear plan of interaction! We were eager to let our boys die for oil – but not our fellow man? Cudos to Sen. Biden!

June 3, 2007 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  5. Ed, Boston, MA

I agree with those who said Senator Biden had the best night. He looked presidential.

June 4, 2007 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  6. InRussetShadows, The South, USA

If you have read what our troops say about why they are there, talked to any of them, read what Iraqis on the street think, listened to summaries of plans and objectives, and on and on and on, and you STILL think that this is a "war for oil", you are incredibly ignorant. Iraq is a honeypot. If you can't understand that even after four years of information piling up, there is probably no hope at all for you. Just please don't vote, or if you do, vote for Biden. Heh.

June 4, 2007 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  7. eric goode flagstaff arizona

absolutly blown away by biden! such a long career in politics yet still speaking from the heart. that's what i want, you may or may not agree with what he says but you know where its coming from...just so happens i agree. still looking at clinton and obama, but focused now on biden...way to go joe

June 4, 2007 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  8. Jimmy Cypher, Atlanta, GA

I've followed Biden for years so tonight was no surprise for me. A brilliant centrist who has the experience and character to lead. He's the only candidate with a viable plan to deal with the Iraq debacle in its entirety. It's a three state solution; go to his site and see for yourself. He's an incredibly good orator as well –

June 4, 2007 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  9. Jerry Shock

Twenty kilos can be carried through or over "the fence" by over 50% of adults. The word is twenty-five HUNDRED, Sen. you had trouble getting that out twice. Each American family owes over $500,000 toward our debt and yet Biden still wants us to "police" the world. What is the U.N. for anyway? All these spending ideas may tickle some people, but as Gravel attempted to explain we are facing a $59,100,000,000,000 shortfall. It's time to get real people !

June 4, 2007 06:43 am at 6:43 am |
  10. Shawn, Columbus, OH

I thought he said U.N. Troops, U.N. peace keeping tropps. Which of course could be us but not necessarily.

June 4, 2007 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  11. Bebe, Los Angeles, CA

Joe Biden is the best candidate for President...by far. He's a straight shooter in addition to clearly being the most knowledgeable and politically sophisticated candidate. I wish he could pull ahead of the pack. Go, Joe!

June 4, 2007 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  12. Carry Joe Sherwood, Ohio

Very impressed!! Biden had a command and did it WITHOUT trying to make the other Democrats look bad (Unlike John Edwards) I like this guy's leadership and plans for the most part.

Will vote for Biden!