June 4th, 2007

Clinton: Faith helped her through marriage infidelity

WASHINGTON (CNN) – In response to a question about how she managed the infidelity in her marriage, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, said “I’m not sure I would have gotten through it without my faith.” The White House hopeful answered the question as part of Monday’s Faith and Politics forum at George Washington University moderated by CNN’s Soledad O’Brien.

“I am very grateful that I had a grounding in faith that gave me the courage and the strength to do what I thought was right,” Clinton said. “Regardless of what the world thought. And that’s all one can expect or hope for.”

Sen. Clinton also told the forum audience that she takes her faith seriously and personally, and comes, “from a tradition that is perhaps a little too suspicious of people who wear their faith on their sleeves.”

– CNN Political Researcher Xuan Thai

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

I've had a relationship with the Lord since I was about 5 years old. I went to a Christian high school and now I'm at a Christian University. I've found that many Christians I've come in contact with dislike the Clinton's. They dislike former President Bill Clinton for his adultery, and can't really give a reason for disliking Hilary Clinton. I would just like to point out that I think the fact that Hilary Clinton stayed with her husband, even though he had an affair, was a very noble act. I think that it shows that she must have had a prayer life and a strong faith, because many people, Christians included, wouldn't do what she did, in her situation. I commend her for that and also for admitting that it was because of her faith that she made it through that time.

June 4, 2007 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  2. teresa armstrong south riding, va

Senator Clinton was very well spoken, Iam impressed with the depth of thought and knowledge all the Democratic candidates posess. Senator but Biden is my guy. Maybe the two of them on the ticket.

June 4, 2007 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  3. Tammy, VA Bch, VA

Go Hillary! I love strong women who do not allow public opinion to rule their decisions. Keep doing your thang girl!!!

June 4, 2007 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  4. Mark, Dunkirk, NY

She is the junior Senator from our state. I certainly admire her intelligence, but I get sick of this crafted picture she creates about every part of life for political gain. Maybe she was the one who dragged Bill carrying his Bible after the Monica affair, I don't know. It just always comes across as insincere. She doesn't portray herself as real.

June 4, 2007 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  5. Warren, Weslaco, TX

This comment is for the entire “morality” debate. Am I wrong, or does teh Constitution of the United States specifically prohibit a “religious test” for public office?

I thought that every four years we elected a President in the United States. If we elected an Ayatollah or a Pope, questions about their personal morality would be appropriate. Seeking a President requires scrutiny with more depth and breath. We have problems in the United States. And I don’t mean “gay marriage” (who carers?. We have a disappearing mioddle class. We have a stampeade of illegal aliens (and potential terrorists) at our Southern border. We have over a trillion dollars in trade deficits partly because Congress gave it’s oversight job to the executive branch. I am but ine citizen. I’m sure others could add more examples of things I want to know about anyone seeking the position of Chief Executive of the United States.
    Did CNN fall short in it’s feeble attempt to appear relevant? I just asked that question like O’Reilly on FOX. The answer is in the question. But, of course, I’m being fair and ballanced.

June 4, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  6. AJ, Charlotte, NC

Ah, now let's try to target the religious right.

June 4, 2007 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. Tim Lubbock, Texas

That entire show on faith would have failed in Hollywood. I'm telling you, that the acting was absolutely horrendous. All of the Senators proved they couldn't act, and they also didn't get away with the crap that they were trying to feed us. CNN you failed again.

June 4, 2007 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  8. Marvin Brooks; Ocala, Florida

What "faith" is Hillary referring to? Is she claiming a Christian faith, or is she making up her own? Where does she go to church, how often, how does she contribute to her faith community? And how can she reconcile her views on abortion (among other things) with Christian convictions? And if, as has been asserted to be in her newest book, she entered into her marriage with infidelity already a fact, then how can she demonstrate that her "faith" helped her through it? I would really, really, really like a real answer.

June 4, 2007 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  9. Mark, DC

Faith in what, exactly?

June 4, 2007 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  10. cahtuwthyurpntsdwnhaha

Boy, you guys at CNN really are amateurs..

June 4, 2007 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  11. Tony Palag, Manila, Philippines

Ambition to become president and not faith that makes her turn a blind eye on the President Clinton's infidelity

June 4, 2007 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  12. Tim, Wichita Ks

Faith in what a Tree or maybe a shoe. how hard is it to say my faith in Jesus Christ Got me through the Hard Times. quit beating around the bush.

June 4, 2007 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  13. Rita Roads, New York, NY

So what helped President Bill Clinton get through his infidelity?

June 4, 2007 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  14. Donald Templeman, Cleveland, Ohio

What "faith" would that be anyway? Yeah, let's sound sorta' Christian without really being Christian. Isn't that what we have now? Politicians should stop pretending to have "faith". We know what they are and Godliness has nothing to do with it. George W has ruined that ploy for all the con artists. Then again, intelligent people don't make up much of the electorate. We're all so stupid, it just might work...AGAIN!

June 4, 2007 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  15. Lora, Smyrna TN

Thanks for making me laugh! That is one of the funniest articles I've read today. Was it the same faith that made her attack the Republicans during the Clinton sex scandal? If I remember correctly, she stated something about a "witch hunt and a mass conspiracy." I'm sure she'll be quoting the Bible next, as we get closer to election time. Long live Saint Hillary!

June 4, 2007 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  16. Archie Holoubeck Kearney ,Ne.

So "faith" helped Hillary when Bill strayed ! Anyone who believes that needs a shrink bad! The Clintons will do and will say anything for the goal of political power! Its cheap political theatre nothing more!

June 4, 2007 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  17. Richard Starkey, Valdosta, Georgia

How convenient for Hillary to now say "it was my faith" that got her thru infidelity, and not her thirst for power that has culminated in this brash run for the U.S. Presidency by someone so totally unqualified for such a task.

June 4, 2007 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  18. Disgusted by the Clintons and their legacy

What a total hoot!!!
    Faith in what got the old bat through?
    Faith in her belief that the American people are mostly ignorant? Or faith in her ability to scheme, lie, and deceive as necessary.

June 4, 2007 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  19. Eric, San Antonio, TX

Pardon me while I puke.

June 4, 2007 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  20. Lew W, Vancouver, Washington

Faith? I thought it was the "Vast Right Winged Conspiracy?"

Amazing thing to see so many opportunists finding faith during elections. Few seem to have it after they are elected, though.

June 4, 2007 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  21. Robert Jones, Adel, Ga.

People will say anything to get elected. Here's the former First lady, now a politician seeking office, claiming her "faith" led her to forgive her very popular husband The President. And yet here she is running for the highest office in the land–with her cheating, adulterous husband still in tow, working her campaign for her to get her votes from people who can't see the light of day. And she really wants us to believe that it is her "faith," and not her hunger for power, that led her to "forgive" Bill Clinton after numerous adulterous encounters. We're not that dumb Hillary. We don't buy it.

June 4, 2007 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  22. Jennifer, Seattle, WA

her faith... come on. did it get her through her own corrupt dealings, too? spare me. it was purely a political move. just like she wasn't sure she'd run...

June 4, 2007 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Her faith is in herself. It's all about her aspirations.

June 4, 2007 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  24. Sue, Glen Burnie, MD

Another example of how she morphs into what she thinks we all want her to be.

June 4, 2007 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  25. Joseph, NH

"Faith" repeated over and over. Did she ever actually refer to God? Sounds like she's trying to appeal to the religious without going too far in that direction and alienating those who might see that as fundamentalism. Seems to fit in with the magically changing accents that depend on where she is speaking.

Wasn't a vow in front of God what was broken in the first place?

June 4, 2007 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |