June 4th, 2007

Clinton: Faith helped her through marriage infidelity

WASHINGTON (CNN) – In response to a question about how she managed the infidelity in her marriage, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, said “I’m not sure I would have gotten through it without my faith.” The White House hopeful answered the question as part of Monday’s Faith and Politics forum at George Washington University moderated by CNN’s Soledad O’Brien.

“I am very grateful that I had a grounding in faith that gave me the courage and the strength to do what I thought was right,” Clinton said. “Regardless of what the world thought. And that’s all one can expect or hope for.”

Sen. Clinton also told the forum audience that she takes her faith seriously and personally, and comes, “from a tradition that is perhaps a little too suspicious of people who wear their faith on their sleeves.”

– CNN Political Researcher Xuan Thai

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Cliff, Brandon, MS

Hmmm....and what would your "faith" be in Mrs. Clinton?

Inquiring minds need to know!

June 4, 2007 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  2. K.D. San Diego, CA

Ms. Clinton has all the right answers at the right time, poising for her Prez run. When pressed on the Iraq war, she made it clear she and her Dem buds shared 'minor' differences while a great divide exists between the Dems and Republicans (Bush). In other words, neutralize the issue among the Dem. candidates to just voting for the 'most popular' candidate, her!

When it comes to faith, she defines it in terms of 'not wearing it on her sleeve' which we're all to believe is better (than Bush, who does). And we're to canonize her for having such a great faith (that she DOES talk about by the way) and make us more trusting of her because of it (maybe it will work for her if it worked for Bush– the difference is that she tells it on her sleeve, he really does wear it– talk vs. walk!)

June 4, 2007 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  3. Pat

Political rhetoric. She kept Bill to put herself in the Whitehouse. Plain and simple.

June 4, 2007 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  4. Miranda,Riverside Ca

Perhaps someone can answer this for me...

Didnt hillary convert to judism a few years ago? Because now that she has anounced her candacy I have heard nothing about it.

June 4, 2007 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. Roberta, Elk Grove, CA

I do not think there is any place for discussion about politics and religion. Can you imagine England, France or Germany or Japan holding question and answer sessions about religion? Today's program was out of line and unnecessary. We already have too much religion in our government, thanks to Bush.

June 4, 2007 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  6. rob twitchell, columbus oh

You have got to be kidding me....

No question that others have done it, left and right, but Hillary did what she did out of political necessity.

I'd have far more respect for her if she was honest about it.

June 4, 2007 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  7. Ruth Ballard, Dallas, Texas

What may not be as obvious as Clinton's pandering is the fact that anyone who has ever worn a Press Pass to any political function has heard first hand of the CNN memos that direct this news outlet's reporters-in other words, it is not so much about Clinton attempts at posturing herself but CNN's loud declaration, "Look at Hillary now! See, she is just like the heartland of America." You can fool all the people some of the time. . ."

June 4, 2007 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  8. Diana, Hixson TN

Did I miss something during her 8 year reign as co-President? I've never heard her speak of her "faith" much less of religion in a positive regard.

June 4, 2007 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  9. E.L., Phoenix, AZ

I'm wondering if any of the people who have criticized Clinton's statememnt have actually themselves endured the torture of salvaging a relationship after an act of infidelity. I have, and I know I couldn't have done it without my own faith. Yes, she was vague in her religious references, but if it is the truth (and who's to say for sure whether it is or isn't), then it's quite an honorable thing

June 4, 2007 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  10. Ann Hanson, Northfield, IL

I trust that the various serial adulterers running for the Republican nomination will be asked the same question as was asked of an innocent party. If this is a fair question to ask of Hillary how about asking those who actually have admitted philandering.

June 4, 2007 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  11. Kath, Sacramento, CA.

So now Hillary has found faith? And it helped her through Bill's infidelity? Oh please – I've heard everything now. Everyone with a single brain cell in their head knows that the Clinton's don't have a marriage – they have a business partnership. Hillary is only playing the "faith" card so she can drum up voters. What a hypocrite!

June 4, 2007 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  12. Seatte Wa

Excuse me while I BARF!

June 4, 2007 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  13. Mike B., Greenbelt, MD

Why does everything have to be spelled out? Is the president chosen based on his or her faith? If so, we've done a lousy job selecting over the past few years. Let's pray Hillary's faith is different from that of George Bush's. Whatever she believes in, at least it drives her to find health care for the poor and sick, give education to those who could benefit from it, and bring home our children from a war that George Bush's "faith" got us into. Quit being such hypocrites, a person's faith is between themselves and God, not the degree to which they thump their Bibles. Would you be happy if Hillary followed Bush's lead and end every comment with "God Bless?" At that point would her faith be adequate?

June 4, 2007 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  14. J Glenn Dean, Andreas, PA

Well Hillary – time for YOU to define a word. And the word you should define is FAITH.
    Here is a definition of F A I T H :
    Forsaking All I Trust Him

June 4, 2007 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  15. Pat Lynch, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Which infedelity? The ones while he was governor? the ones on the campaign trail or the ones in the white house? They are both political animals, nothing less, nothing more. Her faith? Her faith is in the gullibility of the American populace as is every politician's.

June 4, 2007 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  16. Jeremy, San Jose CA

BARF

June 4, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  17. Heartlight3, Maui, Hawaii

I have always wondered how people who claim to be "Christian" can be so nasty and judgmental. What happened to "Judge not"? If these comments are from people who claim to be "Christian" you ought to be ashamed. What makes you think you have the right to conclude what someone's faith means to them? The implication from all of you is that you are a "Christian" and Mrs. Clinton is not. That does not appear to be what you are demonstrating. What do you think Jesus would think of your mean and spiteful comments?

June 4, 2007 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  18. Jason, Overland Park KS

You have GOT to be kidding me.
    People. ESPECIALLY you in the mass media, CNN, FOX, whoever.

THIS IS AMERICA!!!!! SEPARATION BETWEEN CHURCH AND STATE!!!! THE MERE ACT OF ENTERTAINING SUCH A DISCUSSION IS PATENTLY UNAMERICAN.

Leave the questions about political leaders' religious inclinations to places where it'd be more relevant. Places like Iran, for instance.

June 4, 2007 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  19. Mark Stephens, Zionsville Indiana

AMBITION is what got Hillary through the infidelity of her hubby.

June 4, 2007 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  20. Rumbi, Brisbane Qld

The Bible in Hebrews defines Faith as the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. So If Hillary stands by this Faith, I can not help but stand by her too cause It doesn matter who you are you need FAITH!

June 4, 2007 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  21. Amanda -- Greenwich, CT

Come on, people. Maybe she is a bit slippery on the faith issue. Who knows? She did say, even when her husband was in the office, that she wanted some controls on abortion. No one cared at the time because who was going to put controls on abortion then? She may be Methodist. But she doesn't want to alienate Jews, Buddhists, Christians and even some main line Protestants who don't usually utter the word "Jesus." Not all of the US is made up of born-again Christians. Do you want someone ferverently regligious like Rev. Ted Haggard, a right-wing, closeted, married gay man who secretly consorts with male escorts and turns around and bashes on homosexuals?And Bill Clinton is a philanderer. But none of us knows the dynamics of their marriage. I don't believe that all spouses cannot tolerate infidelity in a marriage, especially if it's discreet. Just look around your neighborhood. The Clintons are both very intelligent people and know each others' shortcomings. Nonetheless, they really may well be devoted to one another.

June 4, 2007 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  22. Dave, King George, Virginia

Its nice to see that the political mastermind recognizes the need to appeal to the religious right. I hope America can see through the facade to recognize her for the slimy individual she is.

June 4, 2007 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  23. Dianna, Holden, ME

Sen. Clinton is only saying this as a political maneuver. She only stayed with Mr. Clinton because he was her ticket to the White House, not because she loved him or thought it was right. There is nothing "right" about any of the public makeovers Hillary has done over the years to make herself more marketable. She is a fraud and dangerous.

June 4, 2007 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  24. Elizabeth, Tampa, FL

As a person of faith, I was glad to hear the Democratic candidates talk about their faith. I got the impression that Sen. Clinton feels that her religious faith is a very personal thing, but also a large part of her life – it's an impression that I got from reading her autobiography, too.

I'm sure that getting through her husband's infidelity was tough, but it sounds like she's at peace with the decisions she's made, which I believe are between her, her husband, and God.

June 4, 2007 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  25. sonny c. ville platte,la

To Tim from Lubbock: You're right,it wouldn't have passed a Hollywood production test. For that, tune in to any of the dozens of slick televangelist shows. They're in the $ business though, so you need more sparkle to succeed. Jesus had a rag tag group of followers but his message was heard & understood by some even though it wasn't a polished act. Why? Because his message came from the Father. Hillary has practiced the forgiveness which Jesus spoke about & lived;he even forgave his executioners.

June 4, 2007 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |