June 4th, 2007

Clinton: Faith helped her through marriage infidelity

WASHINGTON (CNN) – In response to a question about how she managed the infidelity in her marriage, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, said “I’m not sure I would have gotten through it without my faith.” The White House hopeful answered the question as part of Monday’s Faith and Politics forum at George Washington University moderated by CNN’s Soledad O’Brien.

“I am very grateful that I had a grounding in faith that gave me the courage and the strength to do what I thought was right,” Clinton said. “Regardless of what the world thought. And that’s all one can expect or hope for.”

Sen. Clinton also told the forum audience that she takes her faith seriously and personally, and comes, “from a tradition that is perhaps a little too suspicious of people who wear their faith on their sleeves.”

– CNN Political Researcher Xuan Thai

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Shelley, vancouver island, BC, Canada

It begs the question "Faith Who?"

June 5, 2007 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  2. Anonymous

There is supposed to be seperation of CHurch and State religion should not even matter.Choosing based off religion is pointless. Every president has been Christian and they've been very different.

June 5, 2007 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  3. Adam Pratt, Wheaton, IL

Faith is an objective act. That is, a person has faith IN something: another person, an object, a deity, a philosophy, etc. There should always be a noun at the end of that phrase.

I don't believe there needs to be a religious test for office, but if she's going to play the religion card then be honest and be specific. What is the object of her faith? I suspect it's her own "will power" to endure Bill as a stepping stone to the White House. Such vagueness on her part is merely pandering to the press and media-drenched Americans.

June 5, 2007 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  4. Kyle Leonard, Atlanta, GA

Mrs. Clinton is a lady of faith, and human. President Bush is a Christian phoney. True Christians don’t carry Christ on their lapel, but within their heart. I have this vision of George W.Bush working in a center for battered women, a soup kitchen feeding the homeless, or just visiting a person near death. Not there. Never will be. His pristine attitude and net worth will never get him into heaven. The last shall be first and the first shall be last. His not worth will never get him to Paradise. He offends me far more than Hillary Clinton ever will. To boot, Hillary Clinton is very bright.

June 5, 2007 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  5. Thinking Person from Middle America

This “faith” pony that Hillary is trying to ride up is just a tiny joke compared to the plethora of unethical and underhanded activities the Clintons have engaged in for the past 20 yrs–all in the name of personal power and greed–not for the furthering of the leftist political agenda. The Democrats continue to show their ignorance by electing these bozos.

June 5, 2007 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  6. Friendswood, TX

Here is the problem- faith is her reach to the people bogged down with faulty information and anger at a war that isn't popular. People who aren't sure they want to be Republicans anymore. When I hear people say "go girl" – that makes me ill. She had an amazing opportunity to show women that they don't need to tolerate cheating in their marriage to succeed in life. She is smart, she didn't need him to hold her hand back to the White House. She lost any chance of my vote the day she "forgave him" or I mean "relied on her faith". Sorry.

June 5, 2007 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  7. Barf Upchuck, Mt. Vernon, IL

Maybe I misunderstood Hillary. I thought she was talking about her own infidelity, perhaps with the assassinated Vince Foster. Her faith was that she wouldn't get caught and pillaried, like you know who, who has been Hillaried.

The gender-free argument she makes is that women should skate too. OK, with me. But I don't want them to be President, anymore than I want her lame husband back. On this last point, she and I apparently agree,

June 5, 2007 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  8. Mike, Mesa AZ

Her "Faith?"...what a joke. I love Bill Clinton..he gets to bed the interns and his wife gives him political cover. You go Bubba!!!

June 5, 2007 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  9. LP

Either CNN is doing Clinton a disservice by implying that she didn't identify the source of her faith or Clinton is doing a real disservice to and insulting the people's intelligence by mentioning faith without mentioning the source of her faith.

June 5, 2007 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  10. Eric, Washington DC

This is typical American media- picking out the dumbest parts of an event in order to spark petty divisive debate among citizens instead of inspiring real civic discussions about real issues.

i am a GW student who was at the forum and there were some great words said tonight by all three candidates about the impact of faith in their lives and about potential solutions for ending poverty in the future.

but not unsurprisingly, media outlets like this one have only reacted to and reported on a sex-scandal question, a gay marriage question, and an israel-palestine question. We're never going to get anywhere as a country if we waste all of our energy on petty bickering and mud-slinging, and shame on the major news outlets for facilitating this type of dead-end politicking by giving more coverage to the things that keep us apart than to the things that bring us together.

June 5, 2007 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  11. Scott E.Troy Wisconsin

Hillery Clinton claiming to have even
    the remotest concept of faith is like
    saying God and Satan are on the same
    team!

June 5, 2007 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  12. Ronald Hume, Sojourner

Who are we to judge? Some of the greatest men and woman in history have failed in one way or another. I hope that Hilary's faith is in the atoning work of Christ on the cross and not in areligion. Se what the Bible says: “For in Your (God’s) sight no man living is righteous.” Psalm 143:2 “If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?” Psalm 130:3 “Indeed, there is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins”. Ecclesiastes 7:20
    “Who can say, "I have cleansed my heart, I am pure from my sin"? Proverbs 20:9

“As it is written, ‘THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE;’” Romans 3:10

June 5, 2007 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  13. Derek, Phoenix Arizona

What of Sen. Clinton's many purported infidelities? Did her faith get her through those?

June 5, 2007 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  14. Chandra Bose, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India

Rev Bernard Ankoma from Ghana is a man mightily used by God throughout the world. HE prophesied that Senator Hilary Clinton will win the next presidential election and will be the next US president.
    Through Rev Bernard Ankoma, Hilary Clinton and Bill Clinton came to know Lord Jesus Christ when he exposed (by the power of God) Clinton's affair with Monica even before the news came out to the world

June 5, 2007 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  15. Gene, TN

Is this a lot of BS or what?

June 5, 2007 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  16. Tommy B, Atlanta, GA

Godless.....says it all. Consider how she has treated others in the past to find her real faith. It is certainly not a moral faith.

June 5, 2007 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  17. Amy Alkon, Santa Monica, CA

Oh, hurl. It's bad enough that the current leader of the free world believes, without evidence, in god.

June 5, 2007 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  18. Jeff Reiser, NY

It's a laugh a minute with Hillary. Her pathetic theatrics to attempt to convince the public that she's one of the faithful (even though she's otherwise viciously attacking Christians and just about everything they believe), is as phony as her infamous southern accent performance and Obama and Edwards' I-can-so-relate-to-the-poor spiel.

June 5, 2007 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  19. louis, mi

I think I'd even send my daughter go to an al Qaeda slumber party, if it will boost my poles percentage by 2%. After I all I've got faith pouring out of me like no tomorrow man. **Inner monologue of the great Hillary Clinton who is claming faith these days, 'you go girl.'**

June 5, 2007 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  20. Doro, Portland, Oregon

Is one's religious beliefs now a litmus test for the Presidency? And if so, then which religion and what beliefs are deemed acceptable? And acceptable to whom? And what does the Constitution say about Church and State? Which religion teaches to trash a person for a very personal statement about a private life?

Seeking and exercising power, taking bold actions, and being politically astute are leader behaviors and traits for both genders.

Perhaps we will yet witness a substantive discussion on what constitutes excellent leadership, and specifically what leadership behaviors and qualities we want to see in our next President. CNN?

June 5, 2007 03:23 am at 3:23 am |
  21. Mark A Concord California

What unmigated BS. There's not a real bone in her body. She is nothing. Intellectually. Philosophically. Politcally.

Worse than Bush.

June 5, 2007 03:29 am at 3:29 am |
  22. Sharon Mancuso

I am sorry but I do not for 1 moment believe this woman.
    Adultury is against all religious beliefs. Next she will be saying her lies are due to her faith.

June 5, 2007 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  23. jack phot

Politicians and death row inmates have this in common: as the hour of reckoning draws near, they invariably discover "faith."

June 5, 2007 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  24. Josh, Chicago, Illinois

1)Hillary hasn't just "found faith," she's had it all her life. READ about her past life; and as she said, watch out for people who wear their beliefs on their sleeves. "He who follows a path blindly, the path becomes false and he a fanatic"

2)I'd trust an atheist before I'd ever ever EVER trust george w. bush with his 16 million in his daddy's stocks, when he was a little leaguer...and you people fell for it, TWO times.

Funny how the self-righteous always turn out like Ted Haggard....

The christian dominionists want to dictate to everyone else how to live, through their taking over of the government, and legislation...so YES! Let's pick on the "religious right."

Extremist muslims believe that liberalism will be the downfall of society, and Extremist christians believe that liberalism will be the downfall of America.

June 5, 2007 04:21 am at 4:21 am |
  25. DMW

These comments are so cruel and mean. What would Jesus do? I believe he would not be so judgemental as the folks in the blog.

I also bet most of these folks in this blog would say they are Christian. Why are you questioning Hillary's faith? She has the right to her beliefs. And it is distasteful when I hear people say the media hates Christians (which is crap)and then when a Democrat states their religious beliefs, now they are liars. It is not only the Right wing of the Republican Party who believes in a higher power.

I feel most of you all are just haters. Please take the beam out of your own eyes, before you attempt to take the splinter out of anothers eyes. God loves us all.

Hillary is a GREAT woman. She is her own person. She is highly intelligent and she does not need to act anyway other than what is truth for her.

It is alright for a woman to be strong and powerful. These attributes are no longer only for men to display. Get over it people!!!! Your hate is boring, getting old, and been there done that!!!! It will not stop Hiliary from being a good person. At least she stayed married, unlike most of the men running for President. They had affairs and cheated many times on their wives. Where is the outrage on that? Why is it when women attempt to do anything outside of what women traditional did in the past, women more than men go off on them. Support other women and recognize that we all have the right to be fully living in the love and blessing of our Creator.

GO HILLARY!!!!