June 4th, 2007

Edwards: 'I sin every single day'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - What's the biggest sin former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards has ever committed? It's hard to tell, he told CNN's Soledad O'Brien at a faith and politics forum Tuesday night, because he sins "every single day."

"If I have a day where I haven't sinned multiple times, I would be amazed," Edwards said. He added, "To try to identify one particular sin that's worse or more extreme to the others, the list is too long."

Edwards received applause from the audience when he said he couldn't identify a specific sin that he has committed. But he further explained his response by saying "we all fall short, which is why we have to ask for forgiveness from the Lord."

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

I thought that Edwards' response to Soledad's question was blatantly honest and right on track. He recognized that he sins everyday and that he isn't perfect. I think that that is one of the reasons that he last night during the debate was so willing to point out that he had made a mistake and that he was wrong when voting for the Iraq war. He showed, both last night and tonight that he is very open and honest. I commend his honesty and openness. Of all the candidates that spoke tonight I thought he was the most sincere.

June 4, 2007 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  2. John H, Washington, DC

What a ridiculous statement. And he can't even name one? This "more faith-ier than thou" pandering has just gotten ridiculous.

June 4, 2007 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  3. Dan, High Point, NC

John Edwards is the Anna Nicloe Smith of politics. He accomplished nothing of significance and he's famous for being famous.

June 4, 2007 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  4. Scott (Ohio)

what?! Shouldn't someone tell him that that's not exactly normal?? Multiple times every day? Maybe he has a very different definition of sin, but I have to say sinning every day is excessive for me, much less a politician. Multiple times every day??

June 4, 2007 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  5. William Braun, Olongaop City, Philippines

Of course he sins every day, lying is a sin isn't it.

June 4, 2007 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  6. Logan, Kirkland, Washington

Well Scott, the Christian view of sin would say that every negative thought is just as sinful as actually "committing" a sin. Therefore, it wouldn't be weird for Edwards to be sinning multiple times a day, because Christians are just like anyone else, and they think bad thoughts daily. Personally I thought Edwards response seemed honest, but with politicians you never know. I would like to think I can take most of them at face value, but that's admittedly naive of me.

June 5, 2007 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  7. Wanda, St. Catharines, ON

For people who are actively practicing their spirituality in the Christian faith, we acknowledge sin as more than just robbing a bank or sleeping with your friend's spouse. A sin is something as little as lying about whether you ate the crust of bread instead of throwing it in the garbage, or telling the telemarketer that they have the wrong number when you really just don't want to talk to them. We all sin multiple times every day, it's just that we aren't all vigilant enough to realize it or acknowledge it.

June 5, 2007 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  8. Scott E.Troy Wisconsin

Just one more bit of proof what a bunch of boobs the Demirats are.

June 5, 2007 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  9. God

This is the word of God:

Anyone who can't see through Edwards is as blindly unintelligent as all the Bush fans down there.

Burn Burn Burn

June 5, 2007 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  10. Josh, Chicago, Illinois

...oh please. I like John Edwards, but get off the "religious/spiritual/God/sin" kick; there are many many of us out here who do not follow myths blindly. We're not disrespectful on purpose, but to see the road we're being dragged down because of self-described christian dominionists and radical muslims we're going to get louder.

Who cares if the President mumbles wishes into the air? I want him/her to solve problems quickly, intelligently, and compassionately on his/her OWN.

June 5, 2007 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  11. Denny Lyon, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

It is borderline amusing to note the mean-spirited types have logged on just to sledgehammer their version of poisonous politics. What do they think they will accomplish with lobbing verbal grenades in the form of character assassination? It is concrete unimaginative visceral thinkers like them that have reduced the political dialogue in this country to the garbage of spin: never solving the problems.

Like others, I applaud this guy Edwards for having the boldness to speak his mind, rather than hiding behind the billowing overprotective skirts of political strategists, mouthing mind-numbingly dull platitudes that spin in circles, going nowhere substantive.

And, for those who are not good students, his declaration is very much in the Baptist mindset where they are convinced they should do their best to constantly call themselves to the highest ethical conduct, even in their thoughts. Former President Jimmy Carter, also Baptist, voiced the same belief system. Whether one is successful is another matter; each person must honestly measure their own progress. Perhaps Edwards' critics ought to take a page from his thought book and try it on for size; they may discover chasing after good character to be far more satisfying.

The people who keep criticizing this guy Edwards just come up with the lamest things like a haircut, a house, and a dying wife. Other candidates pay the same prices for grooming, have expensive homes, and many have serious health issues. Yet, the Edwards I'm viewing keeps trying to rise above this constant pettiness.

Too often the media encourages this garbage politics for their own benefit of market share rather than conducting themselves as quality journalists of trustworthy integrity. When does everyone in America decide to commit to something better? Then, bloated egos pushed to the side, we could get down to the business of solving serious issues in this country and abroad.

June 5, 2007 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  12. Betty Vierra, Aptos, California

I missed John Edwards on the forum, and was really sorry that I did. (He's my choice for president.) I know exactly what he is talking about. We are all human. We say things that hurt other people; we fail to say things that we should say. But we keep trying. There is a better way.

June 5, 2007 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |