June 4th, 2007

What does Clinton pray for?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - What does New York Sen. Hillary Clinton pray for? At a faith and politics forum Tuesday night, she said it depends on the time of day.

"Sometimes I say 'Oh, Lord, why can't you help me lose weight?'" Clinton said. "Sometimes, you know, it's obviously praying for discernment, for wisdom, for strength, for courage. Praying for my family and my friends."

Clinton said she was "raised to pray" and described herself as "a praying person."

– CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. RightTighty

For herself, of course. Oh, and that Bill guy, when he occasionally shows up..

June 4, 2007 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  2. Bryce Jackson, Toronto, Canada

Faith who?

June 4, 2007 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  3. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

Hilary Clinton's response on what she prays for was very down to earth. It put her on the same level as many of the voters. People of faith sometimes pray for trivial things, like as Sen. Clinton said losing weight. It is part of our selfish nature, but as the Senator pointed out you say to yourself "I can do better than that". And many people, me included have said that before, and that is why Sen. Clinton's response was so great, it showed that she is just like you and me.

June 4, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  4. Marvin P. Polinsky

This whole Faith/Politics progam was the most nauseating piece of journalism I have ever seen. CNN hang your collective heads in shame. Our country was founded on a separation of Church and State. I am disgusted that none of the candidates had the guts to look you in the eye and say what I believe or don't believe is a private matter none of your business. They (the candidates) are all a bunch of pandering wimps.

June 4, 2007 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  5. Leonard Novick Amsterdam, the Netherlands

I am happy for Hillary and the other candidates but the fact that an entire show, from a leading international news organization, is devoted to exploring and challenging the private religious beliefs of presidential candidates is a clear sign of a very dangerous and frightening development in the USA. Besides the fact that one may feel that America's religion and god is better than those of Iran for example, the difference between the two countries is far less than what one may want to believe.

Shame shame shame on how 'democracy' in America is suffering.

June 4, 2007 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  6. Adam, Sacramento C

One's faith has absolutely nothing to do with one's ability to govern a nation. The government should not legislate on moral issues. Do you think anyone at the board meetings of Oracle question what Larry Ellison prays for? If the office of the President of the United States was able to spend less time pandering to religious conservatives and more time focusing on economic issues and social welfare issues then perhaps this country would become what it thinks it is.

June 4, 2007 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  7. Rozcolrdgas'

Progressives don't pray, they wish upon a star.

June 4, 2007 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  8. Marga Miami, Fl

I think Hillary hurted herself when she said referring to Irak war: this is Bush war. She knows better that the presidents in this country doesn't take decisions by himself. This is not the President' war. This is the war of the entire country. She sound to selfish. I liked Edwards he was the best.

June 4, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  9. Seattle ,Wa

That lady is so lost.

June 4, 2007 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  10. Anonymous

you have got to be kidding me

June 4, 2007 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  11. Lisa Svara, Lebanon, NJ

Really? A weight joke? Ugh.

June 4, 2007 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  12. Rick - Chicago, IL

That's the deepest pit of manure I've heard in decades.

If she honestly prays from a true Faith in God perspective, I'll walk across Lake Michigan in a gale without getting damp.

June 4, 2007 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  13. Maxwell, Edmond, OK

Her faith. Hmm. I wonder if she prays to God to make her the most powerful citizen in the country, the President. What a power driven woman; she's not in it for the good of people, but it's for her ego and immortality.

June 5, 2007 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  14. Janet Boyle, Fort Lauderdale, FL

I believe Hilary was raised a Presbyterian. The Bible does not say to run out and get divorced if your mate strays. It actually, says the opposite - and/or the most difficult way. The Bible does give the men/women a way out, (divorce). But hanging in there and raising a terrific child, says more FOR Hillary, than against her.

June 5, 2007 03:41 am at 3:41 am |
  15. H NY,NY

Her faith can be summed up this way:

"Don't let anyone every figure out who I really am".

She and her husband are career politicians. They lie, and its what they do best.

They pray not to get caught, whatever it is they have done.

June 5, 2007 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  16. Charles Quist, Silverdale, Washington

If Clinton prays everyday and has found God what would be her new stand on keeping "In God We Trust" in the pledge of allegiance of the United States of America along with public prayer in our Schools?

June 5, 2007 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  17. Lawrence Hughes, Atlanta, GA

I think there was a mispelling here – the original question was "What does Clinton PREY for?", and that would be the hard earned income of the productive class, not to mention political power.

June 5, 2007 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |