June 5th, 2007

Giuliani attacks Democrats' universal health care plans

WASHINGTON (CNN) - As most of the Democratic presidential candidates take turns unveiling their plans for universal health care, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said that would be a mistake.

"What the Democrats suggested on this stage two nights ago was socialized medicine," Giuliani said. "There's a man in California who said to me when we make health insurance free, just wait and see how expensive it will become."

Giuliani said people should be allowed to make their own choices in their coverage, just like they do with car and home insurance.

"Socialized medicine will ruin medicine in the United States," he said.

– CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. Ashok

He is a 100% right,,,,,,,free healthcare means use it as long as you fell healthy,,, look at the problem in canada,,, my uncle live there and one day he had a two episodes of "Appedicitis" and he went to ER twice where he was turned down with just pain medication so he has to fly foreign country just to take out appedix.......

June 5, 2007 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Many people are sucked into the 'free' of free healthcare, until they need it. Then they fly to some free nation that provides it! I've met people in Minnesota who fly to MEXICO for treatment! For cash the treatment is world=class, and they can pay for a vacation with the difference it would have cost them for dental work here in the USA! Only Doctor Ron Paul has the inside knowledge of the medical system and how to fix it. Go Ron Paul!

June 5, 2007 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  3. Dave, Naples, NY

I agree completely, I've met people from Minnesota who fly to MEXICO for treatment! For cash the treatment is world class and they can pay for a vacation with the difference in cost. Only Doctor Ron Paul understands the medical issues and how to fix them, after 30 years service. Go Ron Paul!

June 5, 2007 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  4. Jane Gross, San Marcos, Ca.

Rudy just doesn't have what it takes to be a good conservative president. He is to much like George Bush (pro amnesty)
    and we know what a disaster that has been for the country and republican party.

June 5, 2007 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  5. Dan O'Brien

Did anyone pick up on Giuliani's comments about nation building. If I was reading it right he want's the USA to become the world's "Nation Builders". Is a nation not a nation unless the USA approves?

June 5, 2007 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  6. bill seaberry, aberdeen, wa

funny I don't want healthcare when healthcare is actually the #1 cause of death in the USA #1, before heart disease and cancer. Yes Iatrogenic death is #1. The statistics are available just search IATROGENIC DEATH.

read Death by Medicine by Gary Null PHD. and I think 5 medical doctors on the subject.

until medice isn't the number 1 cause of death I'll take my health into my own hands.

June 5, 2007 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  7. Sandy, Santa Ana, CA

Evidently, Giuliani doesn't see any problem at all with our current health care system since he wants the market to control it. Wake up, Rudy! That's what we've got now and it's broken. Hey if my house burns down or my car gets stolen I'm not necessarily going to lose my life over it. But, my health is something I prefer not to lose. Yes there are some things the free market does better, but, health care is not one of them. Compare our rankings to the rest of the industrialized nations. We aren't number one, people!

June 6, 2007 03:23 am at 3:23 am |
  8. Anonymous

Rudy Giuliani is the closest Republican I'd consider voting for... his stance on this issue is the only reason why I'll NEVER vote for him... I'd rather pay higher taxes supporting my fellow Americans with their health rather then supporting the Iraq war... If our allies have a strong Universal Health care system in place then what's stopping us from improving our own?

July 30, 2007 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  9. alyssa, lincoln ne

The only reason anyone in the government would even have a reason to be anti socialized medicine is because the wealthy benefit from it. Look at Hillary Clinton getting paid off to give up on her ideas of socializd medicine. Higher taxes=rich people helping the poor, and they just can't handle that. I spend 2 days in the ER, they ran all kinds of "tests" that were "necessary".. and they found nothing, obviously not that necessary. Even with insurance, I have a $25,000 OUT OF POCKET expense, AND FOR WHAT??? I'm 20 years old!!! I watched the documentray 'Sicko' with Micheal Moore. Everyone began asking, "What's the catch?" People argue that with socialized healthcare that you don't get quality care. A girl in my class, who was born in Germany stated that any time she's needed serious healthcare, that she LITERALLY has her mom buy her a plane ticket home because one it's cheaper to fly there and receive then it is to receive here, and too, that the care is much better. Ever see on the news when hospitals in California were "dumping" confused, poor patients off on the street because they couldn't pay.. this opposed to giving them care? How humane is our country, and why is it that we feel that it is ok to treat the less fortunate in such a cruel manner??? Will someone please tell me that so I understand???

December 13, 2007 02:10 am at 2:10 am |