June 5th, 2007

Giuliani: Ma'am, nominate me

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, R-New York, told an audience member at Tuesday's presidential debate that the way to bring back moderate Republicans and independent voters is "to nominate me."

He added "the Republican Party can unite around two major principles" citing terrorism and the economy.

Giuliani attacked the Democrats and said they "are on defense against terrorism. And you saw that two nights ago here. They couldn't even utter the words 'Islamic terrorism.' It's our biggest enemy. They couldn't utter it. We need somebody who can stand up to that."

Giuliani concluded that Republicans also needed to be "on offense for a growth economy."

–CNN Political Researcher Xuan Thai

Filed under: Race to '08 • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Jason, snellville, GA

Sorry, No.

June 5, 2007 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. Mike, San Jose, CA

I guess we need to unite against islamic terrorism, lets just stay divided against the rest of it.

June 5, 2007 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  3. Dave, Naples, NY

Sorry, No.
    Only Doctor Ron Paul deserves our support! America loves Ron Paul! He has the cure for our ills!

June 5, 2007 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  4. Jason, snellville, GA

Stop trying to shove Rudy down my throat...

June 5, 2007 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  5. Tex, Atlanta GA

Sorry Rudy... your fear-mongering isn't enough to change my mind that you're a gun-grabbing socialist who has made millions by trashing the constitution and capitalizing on not being a baby on 9/11.

June 5, 2007 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  6. Bill from MI

I personally like that Rudy's made $50 Million bucks since 9/11 in speaking fees. He truly is the 'King of Terror' and the only one qualified (by his earnings) to be in the White House. I'm also impressed with his foreign connections to international companies that have a great interest in things like the NAFTA super highway. I'm sure he'll be a great negotiator to help American get into some really profitable treaties. And finally, I'm sure the truly conservatives will appreciate Rudy's pro-gun control, pro-abortion, pro-gay, and pro-changing of the Constitution to make CA governor , Arnold S. president someday. The guy is simply qualified (based on the current resident's performance) to live in the White House.

June 5, 2007 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  7. Robert Charles Milton, Canada

I think this guy obviosly doesnt do good in debates and lacks leadership quolities. I give him credit for being in the powerfull posistion he is in today.God has blessed his life in many ways, but I dont think he has what it takes to serve the American people as their president

June 5, 2007 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  8. bret, atl, ga

don't worry; when they see he won't fly, they'll pull out fred thompson to play good cop.

YAWN.

June 5, 2007 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  9. Alex, San Jose, CA

Months after 9/11, the people of New York City happily replaced Giuliani with Bloomberg and never looked back. If a NYC Republican has credibility on terror it would be Bloomberg not Giuliani. Bloomberg had to clean up all of RG's messes.

Draft Bloomberg '08.

June 5, 2007 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  10. Tracy, Kennewick, WA

Not even if hell froze over Giuliani.

June 5, 2007 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  11. Andrew, Birmingham Alabama

I would like to know why CNN placed the so called "Top 3" in the middle next to one another and allowed them to answer more questions and have more face time than any of the other candidates. How can it be a true debate if participants are not given equal opportunity? I want to hear from ALL candidates and not just the ones who CNN deems popular. Other news agencies are guilty of this as well.

June 6, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  12. David, Gilbert Arizona

Giuliani is so far left of the republican platform that he doesn't realize he's actually a democrat.

I agree with Brownback's observation when asked if he would support Giuliani as the GOP candidate. Brownback said he would indeed support Giuliani but it doesn't really matter because Giuliani will never be nominated as the republican candidate.

June 6, 2007 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |