June 5th, 2007

McCain has the last word

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. John McCain had the last word at Tuesday's Republican presidential debate, telling the New Hampshire audience he believes there is a need to "protect our American family."

The family is "under assault in many respects," said the Arizona lawmaker said, adding that there is "a transcendent struggle between good and evil. Everything we stand for and believe in is at stake here. We can win. We will never surrender. They will. I am prepared to lead."

McCain spoke of his leadership qualities: "My life and my experience, and my background, and my heroes inspire me, and qualify me to lead in this titanic struggle, which will not be over soon. But we will prevail."

–CNN Political Researcher Xuan Thai

Filed under: John McCain • Race to '08
  1. Bill from Michigan

No...the American people will have the last word. McCain did speak some truth here saying, "The family is “under assault in many respects..." “a transcendent struggle between good and evil. Everything we stand for and believe in is at stake here. We can win. We will never surrender." Let me add that "The assault we face comes from within our own lack of accountability from our elected officials, one of which is Mr. McCain." Why are we fighting in countries around the world, while career politicians like McCain have allowed our own borders to remain open for illegals to pour in. Mr. McCain, you're immigration plan is a sell-out of the (legal) American people of all ethnicities. Before you all 'railroad' this through, I'd suggest to listen to the American people – this is NOT what we want!

June 5, 2007 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  2. Arkanas, Kennesaw GA (my real name, lol)

Yawn. How about protecting the constitution. Is anyone actually going to vote for this guy? I hope my local races are interesting in 08 because my GOP vote is going to George Washington. Or Ron Paul if by some miracle he makes the ballot. Or Fred Thompson if he doesn't die.

June 5, 2007 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  3. Jake Callahan, Philadelphia, PA

I am a Democrat and I have been all my life. But I sinserely believe, that senator McCian is the only canidate(on either side) America can trust to give the war in Iraq one last effort. (it is important for our own security that we leave behind a stable Iraq)
    If it can be fixed, I feel McCian just might be the only man with the experience to fix it

God Speed,

America needs four years of a president with some real experience.

Good Luck.

June 5, 2007 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  4. Cynthia B.

"""My life and my experience, and my background, and my heroes inspire me, and qualify me to lead in this titanic struggle, which will not be over soon. But we will prevail.”"""

Didn't the Titanic Sink? Nuff said!

June 5, 2007 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  5. Rhinehart, Spartanburg, SC

Don't forget Vietnam, McCain. We lost, period. We got out with our tails between our legs. And don't forget Afghanistan for the Soviets. They made as big a mess there as we did in Vietnam. Learn from those mistakes. LEARN. Don't keep repeating Cold War rhetoric. We're past cold war mentality. ENOUGH!!! of the "we don't give up, we don't surrender" stuff. You make a mistake going into Iraq; admit it, and move on. Don't insult our intelligence.

June 6, 2007 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  6. DMW, Roeland Park, KS

Yada, yada, yada...yawn...John McCain sounds like a slogan with everything he says.

June 6, 2007 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  7. George, Champaign, IL

Unfortunately I think Diebold will have the last word.

June 7, 2007 06:51 am at 6:51 am |