June 5th, 2007

Paul: Homosexuality is not the issue

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) - Should gays and lesbians be allowed to serve openly in the U.S. military? The audience applauded Texas Rep. Ron Paul's answer.

"We don't get our rights because we're gays or women or minorities. We get our rights from our creator as individuals. So every individual should be treated the same way," Paul said.

"If there is homosexual behavior in the military that is disruptive, it should be dealt with. But if there's heterosexual sexual behavior that is disruptive, it should be dealt with.

"So it isn't the issue of homosexuality. It's the concept and the understanding of individual rights," he said.

Paul called the current "don't ask,don't tell" policy, implemented during the Clinton adminstration, "a decent policy."

What do you think?

–CNN.com writer Kristi Keck

Filed under: Race to '08 • Ron Paul • Uncategorized
  1. Jerel Poor, St Louis Missouri

Ron Paul- The Only True Republican Candidate! :)

June 5, 2007 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  2. Davy C Rockett, Tacoma, WA.

Paul is right on this issue.
    The socialist elities want everyone to be divided into groups.
    However it's all based upon individual rights.
    Thats how we got into half the government waste were in.
    Gays have to have rights and some gov program, women have to have certain rights and some gov program, etc...
    It should be based upon individual rights given to all by our creator and no special rights because of race, creed, sex, sexual orientation.
    Gov needs to be smaller now and not later. Thats one reason I will be voting for Paul.

June 5, 2007 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  3. Andrea, Hattiesburg, MS

"Let me maneuver my way out of this one with grace." Dumbed down version.

Another candidate who, in the end, will pander to America's homophobia.

June 5, 2007 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  4. Matt Combest -Atlanta, GA

Ron Paul is exactly right – lets move past personal beliefs and start doing whats right for America.

June 5, 2007 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. Lori Montrose,Co

RON IS RIGHT WE GET OUT RIGHTS FROM GOD NOT GOVERMENT!

June 5, 2007 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  6. Tex, Atlanta GA

Ron Paul was correct. Stop treating gays as a sub-class of citizens but don't hold their hands and coddle their every want and desire.

They are Americans first and foremost. If your personal life or sexual lifestyle conflict with the good order and discipline of the United States military.... be gone with you!

Leave it to Ron Paul to put things in the correct perspective. He must not be a good dancer like the other candidates.

June 5, 2007 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  7. Larry Brown New Orleans LA

Hooray

June 5, 2007 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  8. Peggy, Saskatoon Sk Canada

Ron Paul is absolutly correct.We are all gods children.

The USA is the only country in the western world that does not allow gays to serve in the military. I have heard of no problems in other countries

June 5, 2007 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  9. Nathan Willow Springs, IL

Hilary said it best the other night, Don't Ask, Don't Tell was the best compromise they could come up with 15 years ago. But now its time has come and they need to drop all restrictions on gays serving in the armed services.

June 5, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  10. Shannon Hall, Boonton NJ

I could not vote on the Political Ticker poll.....
    It seems to be malfunctioning for me.

So I wish to reveal my vote quite publicly....

Ron Paul has my support! And in my opinion, wins the debate.

June 5, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  11. Brittney, Grosse Pointe Michigan

That is the best response be far.

June 5, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  12. Lee, San Diego, CA

Dr. Ron Paul's response included the smartest policy I've heard from a politician about this issue:

“If there is homosexual behavior in the military that is disruptive, it should be dealt with. But if there’s heterosexual sexual behavior that is disruptive, it should be dealt with."

June 5, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  13. H. Millett, Albany, NY

Without a doubt the most thoughtful and common sense answer that I have heard from any candidate in either party.

June 5, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  14. Jerry Smith

Paul is absolutely right. Grouping and tagging individuals is the foundation of racism and other forms of prejudice. We ought to consider everyone a unique individual.

June 5, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  15. xxfeareffectxx

ron paul is right it is not a homosexual issue.

June 5, 2007 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  16. William, Franklin, TN

He says 'don't ask, don't tell' is a decent policy. I agree.

Ron Paul needs more time to speak CNN! You guys are not doing a debate the way it should be done...

June 5, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  17. David Plumas Lake CA

Every time I here Ron Paul speak I want to hear more from him.

June 5, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  18. Vince Parham, Flowery Branch Georgia

Rep. Paul is absolutely right on target with this issue. This was easily the most direct answer of the night from any of the candidates. Very nicely done.

June 5, 2007 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  19. Christian, Riverside CA.

Ron Paul did a great job. Although he had probably the least amount of questions, he made sense, he made the most of them, and believe it or not, he actually answered them. He definitely should be our President.

June 5, 2007 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  20. Phil, Springdale, Arkansas

Ron Paul is right on the money with not only the homosexuality question but ever other he was asked. Ron Paul was outstanding.

June 5, 2007 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  21. Brett Huebner, Hillsboro, KS

I felt Ron Paul had the best response to this question, and I agree with Mike Huckabee, at least to a degree, that we should allow the military to establish its policy on this and other issues. However, I don't understand why someone like Ron Paul didn't raise his hand to support changng this policy. Maybe I don't understand the nature of the policy, but I am guessing that the objection by civil liberties groups has less to do with the "Don't ask" part of the policy than the "Don't tell" part. In fact, I'd guess it's entirely the latter part. Granted, an interview for any position shouldn't include this question, no more than we can be asked what our religion is when applying for a position. But if I were to volunteer that I am a Lutheran, then that also should not be cause for not hiring me. In like manner, I think gay people want the freedom to 'admit' that they are gay and not have that cost their job. If soldiers have recently lost their positions in the military [and assuming it was NOT for misconduct] simply because they were gay, and if this is considered permissible under the current policy, then it seems this policy is very contradictory to the American ideal of civil rights. I thought Joe Biden had the best answer overall to this question the other night. If you have a British soldier next to you, and he's gay, and he's got our back, he's your best friend right then, and you'd be awfully mad if policy dicated he could not be there at that moment to protect you. Ron Paul seemed to be perhaps the most reasonable GOP candidate, except for a bit of inconsistency on this issue. I hope he isn't fearing the GOP has a litmus test on this issue. And I certainly hope they don't, either.

June 5, 2007 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  22. Tracy, Kennewick, WA

Yet again, Ron Paul see's the forest through the trees. I am sick of people branding people and marginalizing them. People are people and if all are treated fairly, there wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

June 5, 2007 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  23. Terry, Lansing MI

Dr. Paul is the only level headed person in the debate. He says people should be treated equally and hes right. Long live Dr. Paul!!!

June 5, 2007 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  24. Mark, Belton Missouri

Ron Paul's consistency is something to be desired. What a fantastic candidate. This response was one of my favorites tonight.

June 5, 2007 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |