June 5th, 2007

Paul: Homosexuality is not the issue

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) - Should gays and lesbians be allowed to serve openly in the U.S. military? The audience applauded Texas Rep. Ron Paul's answer.

"We don't get our rights because we're gays or women or minorities. We get our rights from our creator as individuals. So every individual should be treated the same way," Paul said.

"If there is homosexual behavior in the military that is disruptive, it should be dealt with. But if there's heterosexual sexual behavior that is disruptive, it should be dealt with.

"So it isn't the issue of homosexuality. It's the concept and the understanding of individual rights," he said.

Paul called the current "don't ask,don't tell" policy, implemented during the Clinton adminstration, "a decent policy."

What do you think?

–CNN.com writer Kristi Keck

Filed under: Race to '08 • Ron Paul • Uncategorized
  1. Anonymous

god bless ron paul. The voice of truth rings true

June 6, 2007 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  2. Rose L., Plant City, Florida

I don't agree that the "Don't Tell" policy is a good policy, but I did agree with Ron Paul's other point about behaviors being dealt with.

I am not a Christian. I am not a Republican. I would vote for Ron Paul, even before any of the Democratic candidates, because he looks to The Constitution FIRST for his position on any given issue. I am going to change my party affiliation so that I can vote in the primary and vote for Ron Paul for the nomination.

June 6, 2007 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  3. San Luis Obispo, CA

Brilliant response.
    Ron Paul is absolutely right.

June 6, 2007 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  4. brad, gold bar, washington

There does'nt seem to be anything that I disagree with about Ron Paul. His vision for America is like a sweet dream. With our help Ron Paul can bring hope and joy back to America.

June 6, 2007 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  5. Ronny, Modesto, CA

What a wonderful answer and a great idea!
    Why do people like to group others? Woman, man, gay, straight, hispanic, white, black...who cares??? Every one should be judged by character. This response by Ron Paul reflects his rational, wisdom and logic.

Ron Paul 2008!

June 6, 2007 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  6. James Sugra Huntington Beach, CA

I have to agree with Ron Pauls answer. It was simplistic yet straight to the point like all his answers. If were all created equal, then why even have a document that says we are. He doesn't try and sell you BS scripted answers like Bush. This man shoots straight from the hip and his voting record proves it. Ron Paul you have my vote and my support!

June 6, 2007 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  7. Nancy, Allen, Texas

Ron Paul is right on track. We are a collective group of individuals. You go Ron Paul! You are the only one "worth" my time. Thank you for having the courage to run for President. We need you!!!

June 6, 2007 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  8. Angel, Pompano, FL

God given rights not group rights.

June 6, 2007 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  9. Bill, Tigard, OR

The only problem with this argument is that undoubtedly lesbian and gay individuals will be more "disruptive" because of the military's tolerance for these individuals, thus although I agree with the premiss of this statement, further action needs to be taken to insure that heterosexual and homosexual individuals receive the same treatment.

June 6, 2007 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  10. Glenn Phoenix, AZ

It sounds great to say that behavior that is disruptive, homosexual or hetrosexual, will be dealt with the same. I have a hard time believing that. If a guy & a girl walk down the street holding hands they are showing thier love for each other.However; if two people of the same sex walk down the street holding hands they are 'flaunting their sexuality'. Until we get rid of the fear of gays will we never treat 'gays' & 'straights' the same

June 6, 2007 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  11. Sandy, Santa Ana, CA

As far as I'm concerned CNN is so biased it's criminal. They did the same thing during the Democratic debate. They focused on the top 3, gave some time to tier 2 and almost shut-out tier 3. It's so obvious that the MSM is trying to control our thinking by pushing their 'picks'. Ron Paul one the last debate and he won this one. He's honest and believes the "Constitution" is more than a "God Damn piece of paper"!

June 6, 2007 03:16 am at 3:16 am |
  12. Michael, Minneapoils, MN

When will the republicans join the rest of normal society and accept the fact that gays exist, that many are smart, caring, talented, patriotic, and deserve the right to serve their country like every other normal citizen.

June 6, 2007 03:22 am at 3:22 am |
  13. Greg G., Millfield, OH

Was undecided, now I know, Ron Paul. And Fred Thompson? He was mediocre when in Congress, why would he be any better as Pres.? Again, Ron Paul, WOW! For those without rose-colored glasses, he's The Man. Consistancy is nice.

June 6, 2007 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  14. rtbohan, Sumter, SC

Absolutely correct. What is wrong about most of the candidates in both parties is their belief that government should be regulatling every aspect of every person's life. Rep. Paul is correct that the army can control disruption but should not be practicing discrimination on the basis of group identification

June 6, 2007 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  15. Richard Wuchte Milwaukee Wisconsin

When I think of the Republican Party when it comes to gay and lesbian issues, I think of a political party that is very Homophobic and truly scared of homosexuals.

June 6, 2007 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  16. Phil Youngstown Ohio

Ron Paul is the only candidate who would have the guts to turn this nation around. CNN and all other networks are trying to keep him down and tactfully giving him as little time as possible at the debates. But he still won tha first two by a landslide, so what does CNN do ? They have no poll. If they gave him half the coverage of the so called front runners, he would win hands down. The people know truth when they hear it. CNN your credibility is being destroyed, it is so obvious that it will backfire on you. Most Trusted Name in News. Give me a Break !

June 6, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  17. William Ramos Brooklyn New York

Stop the censorship of Ron Paul anybody who censors Dr Ron Paul is helping destroy america. Think about it.....

June 6, 2007 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  18. Chip, Spokane,WA

This man is a leader!

Telling your people the truth and preparing them to deal with it.

CNN you put on a good show, but what a biased manipulation.

June 6, 2007 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  19. Jeff Skjelver, Rugby ND

Ron Paul clearly stands head and shoulders above the other GOP candidates. Ron Paul in '08!

June 6, 2007 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. David, Gilbert Arizona

Ron Paul's answer is misleading and everyone knows it. As Paul describes the situation the topic is disruptive behavior and individual rights. The reality is that a heterosexual who discusses their life partner, whether is be a wife or husband, is free to do so without reprocussions. If a homosexual discusses their life partner the behavior is disruptive and should be dealt with.

How can anyone say with a straight face the issue is not about homosexuality. Paul pandered to the audience and the audience ate it up with a giant spoon.

The only savings grace is that Ron Paul has absolutely no chance of getting the GOP nomination so his opinion matters very little.

June 6, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. Bill Ogden, Pittsburgh PA

What's disturbing to me is that the so-called "Top-Tier" candidates from both party's are getting preferential treatment. US Representative Ron Paul from Texas is also an Obstetrician. Doesn't it make sense to ask Dr. Paul about important issues like: Abortion, Stem Cell Research, Immigration and Border Patrol???

June 6, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  22. Daniel W, Mobile AL

Ron Paul would make a fine president.

June 6, 2007 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  23. Rebecca Hill Madison WI

Everyone I talk to Loves Ron Paul. Why is no one listening!!! checkout all the groups forming at meetup.com

Look what's happening with Ron Paul 2008 Meetups!

5,963 Ron Paul Supporters in 229 Groups from 212 Cities

…and 2,529 more waiting to hear when a new Meetup starts!

June 6, 2007 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  24. James, Kansas City, Mo

David from Arizona, you also have no chance of getting the GOP nomination. So I guess your opinion matters very little as well. I served in the Air Force form 2000-2004 and No one is supposed to talk about their private life if it is offensive to others regardless of being homosexual or heterosexual. It works both ways. If a person is offended by something that is said then they report it and it is taken care of. Don't you think it might be offensive to a woman if I described my sexual life with my wife or some other woman? OK then.

June 6, 2007 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  25. David, Gilbert Arizona

James, you are correct. I have no chance of getting the GOP nomination, but then I'm not running for the office. Mr. Paul is.

Your discription implies that discussion of private lives requires explicate intimate details. The situation is much broader than that. I can discussion shopping for shoes with my wife and how boring that can be. If a homosexual discusses something as innocuos as shopping with their same sex life partner I can guarantee the discussion is not going to be treated in the same manner.

I have also honored my country by serving in the United States Navy. You could not be further from truth when you say service members are not supposed to discuss their private lives. Every time we pulled into port family members were invited to tour the ship. My department officer had bar-b-ques inviting everyone and their family. I'm sure if a member of our team brought their same sex life partner on board the ship they would in no way be treated the same as a heterosexual individual.

June 7, 2007 11:14 am at 11:14 am |