June 5th, 2007

Paul: U.S. has rejected 'Just War' theory of Christianity

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Texas Rep. Ron Paul said at Tuesday's GOP presidential debate that America's most pressing moral issue is its adoption of a preemptive military policy, declaring it a rejection of the "Just War theory of Christianity."

"We in the past have always declared war in the defense of our liberties or go to aid of somebody," he said. "But now we have accepted the principle of preemptive war - we have rejected the Just War theory of Christianity.

"We have to come to our senses about this issue of war and preemption and go back to traditions and our constitution and defend our liberties and defend our rights," he added.

Paul is the only GOP member of Congress running for president who voted against authorizing the use of force in Iraq.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. Bill , Baltimore Maryland

I know that it seems Ron Paul supporters get tagged as some crazy collection of internet folks but im telling you, in my office, my social network, and even the neighborhood people are beginning to notice. It is the responsiblity of the media to give fair cut to this man who is really showing himself as a TRUE conservative. I wasnt going to vote until I saw Paul in the first debate and this is exactly what we need. He can be pinned as "radical" and "out there" as spin tactics to demonize him but all he has done is speak the truth on the issues. America needs to listen.

June 6, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. Derek Johnson, Marlin Texas

Ron Paul = Freedom, US Constitution, Liberty, Justice, Truth, Honesty, Integrity!

Not Ron Paul = new world order socialist corporate controlled centralized privately owned boot licking money pocketing power mongering government puppet!

The choice is obvious and easy.

Ron Paul!

June 6, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Teri Rayburn, Fairview Il.

I would vote RON PAUL to be the leader of our FREE COUNTRY no matter which political party he was running for! That is because HE HAS INTEGRITY and Our Freedoms of Liberty, Life and the Pursuit of Happiness as HIS MAIN AGENDA!!!!

June 6, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  4. Floyd Bethel ,Staunton ,Va

I Believe that every true american wants a president with the proven voting record that Dr. Paul has! I Feel that the media is not giving
    Dr. Paul equal coverage when all of the people's polls show he is winning.
    When Dr. Paul does not win the media has left him out. I hope you all will stand up and support the only candidate
    with a proven voting record.

June 6, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. DAniel W, Mobile AL

Ron Paul was the only one on stage who has the american people's best interests at heart.

June 6, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. Bill Franklin, Toms River NJ

If the game wasn't fixed, if our media really WAS "fair and balanced", and if the "smart money" hadn't already decided how our next supreme overlord will be, Ron Paul would make a truly great president.

June 6, 2007 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  7. Charlotte, Bayou Vista, Texas

Ron Paul won the debate. Even though he only had 5 or 6 mins of response time, he was articulate and failed to sound like he'd been practicing his answers. I've been watching the news most of the day and haven't heard a single news-reader talk about him. According to both the CNN and MSNBC polls, Ron Paul won. so why the silent treatment?

June 6, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  8. John Weaver, Gainesville GA

In the GOP debates in Columbia, Rudy was appalled at the response of Ron Paul in stating that the U.S. was partly responsible for the attacks on 911. I have just started "A Foreign Policy of Freedom" by Ron Paul and was amazed that since the mid to late 70's his message has consistantly been the same. Addressing Congress time and time again, he warned that our hypocritical foreign policy of putting our nose where it doesnt belong and even supporting foreign aid to both sides of a dispute will only entangle us further into global conflicts that do not threaten our national security, it will bankrupt us as a nation, we will needlessly endanger U.S. Soldiers and will create animosity toward the U.S. that will result in an attack against us, which may very well initiate a major war. Prophetic words from a very wise man. If there is a statement that is Audacious, it belongs to Rudy for attacking Ron Paul on an issue that Ron Paul has been warning us against for 30 yrs.

June 7, 2007 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  9. sam madino

I am not a Republican but I vote for Ron Paul!

Let's bring back integrity to US.

June 7, 2007 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. Emile Courrege - Spring, Tx

Why isn't this man getting more coverage?? He is the only canditate running that doesn't make me want to throw up. I am getting tired of seeing which candidate can out-Christian one another..I thought we lived in a secular society???

June 7, 2007 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  11. Jennifer Pittsburgh, Pa

I am not a republican, but Ron Paul is speaking to all Americans right now. Why are you not giving Ron Paul more coverage CNN? I think it's a sad day for our nation when politicians like Ron Paul with fresh perspectives are not given the opportunity to voice those views to the American Public nearly as much as the other candidates in the race. No wonder we find our nation in the state it is in.

June 7, 2007 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. Aaron Bloomington, IN

No question this man is a Hero. If you are a Democrat you must register as a Republican to help us real conservatives nominate this Man among men or neocon scum.

June 7, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. Colleen Johnston, Apple Valley, Ca.

I am a registered democrat, but the democratic party has left me. I watched the GOP debate and my impressions were this. Rudy is too glib, McCain too military, Romney too slick, Tancredo astounding for his Rove statement, Hunter courageous for denouncing the jailing of our Border Patrol agents and Brownback just not very interesting. What was interesting was Ron Paul. I had never heard of him before. I was very impressed with his statements and made it a point to go to his website to see what his campaign focus is on. Personally, I would vote at this time for Ron Paul. That surprises even me.

June 7, 2007 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  14. Jesse Gordon, Cambridge MA

I'm a registered Democrat but after Tuesday's debate, I sent in a donation to the Ron Paul campaign. I'll still be voting in the Democratic primary, and probably for the Democratic nominee for President, but I think the country would be well-served by having more Republicans like Rep. Paul.

I heard the audience applaud enthusiastically three times during the debate, when Rep. Paul spoke against the war. They did not applaud the others' war comments, despite that it was an all-Republican audience. I wonder, Don't the rest of the Republicans hear that applause? Don't they see that it indicates they're going to lose the election on the Iraq issue if they stick with their hard line?

Ron Paul is a breath of fresh air and honesty on the war issue among Republicans. The pundits all dismiss Rep. Paul, and I suppose they're right - but his enthusiastic support indicates a real opening for an anti-war Republican in the field.

June 7, 2007 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. Pat McMorrow, Lagrangeville, NY

I have been a republican all my life. I will not vote for another republican again unless he is Ron Paul. It's time to say no to politicians and elect true statesmen.
    I keep hearing about the vast Ron Paul conspiracy to dominate the online debate polls. I have a hard time believing that. Fact is I don't believe it at all. What Ron Paul says resonates with me and I bet with many more Americans and this seems to be the only way for us to share our thoughts with the rest of America.

June 7, 2007 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  16. Clay Tanner II, currently in Portsmouth, NH

While I support and will vote for Dr. Paul, I think his linkage of Christianity to the Bush doctrine of pre-emptive war erroneous. Of course, Bush professes to be a born again Christian...but where did Jesus teach strike first? No where. He taught Peace. Jesus is proclaimed as the Prince of Peace. Bush appears to be the prince of war and hell bent on repressing freedom and liberty. On his watch we have lost the right to habeas corpus, for God's sake. That is why I am supporting Dr. Paul – not for reasons involving Christianity, or any other religion or lack thereof, but for reasons of preserving and restoring our basic American rights, to regain lost liberty and to guarantee future generations will remain free.

June 8, 2007 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  17. Roland Gonzalez, Hyannis,Ma.

I'm christian and have many christian friends and have discussed this very issue. I completely agree with Congressman Paul on this issue. The media doesn't speak to this though. Why are so many Americans who call themselves christians so quick to agree to kill their fellow human beings? I guess they're buying into the fear that the establishment media and our own government seems to pedal so well.

June 8, 2007 05:57 am at 5:57 am |
  18. David W, Dallas, TX

Ron Paul is the only candidate of either party with a shred of integrity...in fact, he is the only member of Congress with such attributes. And he is the only person who can stop Hillary in 2008!

June 13, 2007 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  19. Amanda Moore Charleston SC

Thank God Ron Paul is running in 08. He is the only one telling the truth. I'm amazed at how many people in this country are still buying the govt's official version of 9-11 and how they just soak up the froth dripping and ouzing from the mouths of most politicians. If you read this and you aren't a Paul supporter, I challenge you to do some real research and rethink your position.

July 19, 2007 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  20. Alexander, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

Right on Ron Paul, those words must be spoken loud and clear, despite the mainstream media's hatred for the message. I wonder if CNN will delete these comments like they did for the GOP debate winner (aka RON PAUL).

Oh, and in case you think I'm a spam bot, here's my cell phone:
    414-526-5837 call me and I'll prove I'm a real person.

July 25, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  21. Ochressandro Rettinger, Albuquerque, NM

It's good to see there's at least one candidate who isn't eager to spill the blood of our troops on foreign soil to no purpose.

Ron Paul speaks for me.

July 26, 2007 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  22. John

He speaks the truth, and is a very brave man.

I think he may be the only and last person to free America.

I hope David Rockefeller lives to see Ron Paul win the presidency.

September 24, 2007 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  23. Robert, Sydney, NSW

I am from Australia and Dr Paul is a breath of fresh air from the normal American politicians.
    My hope is he becomes your president but I fear the elite will either kill him or fabricate something to discredit him.
    He can get America back to the great nation it was.

September 26, 2007 06:05 am at 6:05 am |
  24. Bryan, Washington D.C.

Ron Paul is really the only candidate that gets it. Everyone else speaks in political rhetoric about their supposed past accomplishments. Ron Paul chooses to debate issues. What a novel concept.

December 3, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  25. Ray, Las Vegas, NV

Those of you supporting this man for president, do yourselves a favor and go to David Dukes website and see who he's endorsing for president. Readers old enough to remember David Duke should recall he is a former Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK). He is also strongly supported by any white supremist group in this country you can think of. Though I wouldn't necessarily condemn a candidate who is supported by groups I object to, any pricipalled candidate would reject donations from these groups. Mr. Paul has refused to do so and thus reveals his true stripes. Ron Paul as stated in the past that we should be afraid of black people and that minorities comit 95% of the crimes in this country, ignoring, among other things, white collar crime and the devastation it causes. I say keep supporting this man, because any democratic candidate would sweep the floor with this man should he win the Republican nomination. At the very least he will split the Republican vote.

December 6, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |