June 5th, 2007

RNC's statement on New Hampshire GOP debate

Republican National Committee Chairman Robert M. "Mike" Duncan released a statement after Tuesday's Republican presidential debate:

"Two nights ago, we saw the Democrat presidential candidates get angry with each other as they fought to see who had flip-flopped on Iraq the worst, who would blame the President the most, and who would surrender first. Tonight, the Republicans talked about solutions in Iraq and how we win the War on Terror. The differences couldn't have been more stark, on that issue or any other. The Democrats want to assign blame and score political points; the Republicans have real solutions to our nation's challenges."

1. R.Mariaca

Are you for real? I do not believe that I was watching the same program. If you think that a President should conden prosecutors you are the wrong person to lead your party. This country was build on the separation of powers. Your President and most of your candidates are tyrants as the one that we deposed in Iraq.
    We had lost close to 3,000 young soldiers defending our freedoms and you are leading a party who will love to take our liberties.

June 5, 2007 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  2. Paul, Orlando, FL

This is the emptiest rhetoric I have seen in a while. Solutions in Iraq? What solutions? Other than Ron Paul, who endorses get out now and don't do anything like that ever again, the only other responses I heard were summed up by McCain's statement that we need to stay in Iraq permanently until we win, and we might need to nuke Iran on top of it. And they think Paul is the kook?

June 5, 2007 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. Kimberly, Raleigh, NC

WHAT SOLUTIONS????
    I heard them battle about how flawed the immigration bill is without suggesting any strong alternatives, state that we made a mistake getting into Iraq but not provide concrete plans for extricating our military from the region (and in McCain's case, come dangerously close to suggesting that we throw more money and personnel at the problem if nothing seems to be working according to military brass in the area come September), talk on one hand about the sanctity of human life while on the other saying that we don't necessarily need to recognize the rights of each person equally (with abortion and openly gay military servicemen and -women), and then I got to hear a couple of them say that they didn't necessarily believe in evolution. After this showing of the all-white zealous Christian over 50 old-boy network, I'll take the refreshing willingness of the Dems to challenge each other and other politicians ANY day.

June 5, 2007 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  4. D. Y., Houston Texas

Democrat or Republican? The 21st century does nothing for our closed minds. Look at the candidates as independents and look for a true leader not just yammering for the political points in their group. I am shocked more today than ever, we as Americans still look for a party rather than an individual or group of responsible individuals to run our country.

June 5, 2007 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  5. Dave MacKenzie Chicago, IL

The sole reason why I am losing interest in politics. Both sides spend 99% of their time worrying about beating out the other party and how they can keep their jobs two years down the line. Why not work together for once to actuually help the Americans in need.

June 6, 2007 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  6. I'm Not Saul, Not in Lansing, MI

From the MIGOP website: I am a Republican Because...I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person's dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored. I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability. I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.
    I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn. I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.
    I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.
    I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times. I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world. FINALLY, I believe the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government. Based on this, I think Saul Anuzis should demand that ALL THE GOP CANDIDATES, EXCEPT RON PAUL, should be banned from all future debates. What do you think?

June 6, 2007 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  7. R.Mariaca

I don’t think that we were watching the same debate. Your candidates are full of nonsense. You should be ashamed of presiding over that bunch of warmongers. The only person who has any common sense is Dr. Paul. The rest of your candidates preach religion to the audience. I hope that the American people see through their skins and realize that your candidates are single minded and they don’t have a complex mind to solve today’s complex problems. Republicans don’t want a strong government, but when you need to invade, build, or threaten a country you depend on the government’s force to help you. Republicans also welcome the power of the government to provide loopholes for the big companies and the wealthiest of America.
    Be realistic, people do need the government assistance and intervention.

June 6, 2007 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  8. John Blanco, Littleton, CO

Are you kidding me? You're going to state exactly the opposite?

You're going to state the Dems attacked each other when they were all supporting each other's ideas? Youre going to say they only blamed Bush when your Republicans did the same thing?

Why didn't Romney explain his health care plan? Why didn't Giuliani explain that with no new tax dollars or re-org of healthcare, Americans would all benefit from HSA's - something available now! (Hint, they wouldn't)

Republicans, you are following the same formula that you've followed the last 6 years and it just won't work anymore. We've seen the results, and we want better.

June 6, 2007 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  9. Brian, from Lincoln, Nebrasks

I agree. The RNC is really clueless when it comes to actually thinking reasonable about the important issues of our day. The RNC supports unecessary wars, policing the world, nuking Iran, not following the Constitution, massive debt, and losing liberty. These guys really think that America will be on board with this message. Is the the great "Vision" that Mitt Romney is talking about? If he has seen a vision, I am sure that it contains the eventual economic collapse of the United States. The RNC should back Ron Paul. He may not be popular with the Republican base, but he would do well against a war mongering Democrat like Hillary, Obama, or Edwards.

June 6, 2007 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  10. Vernon Zeeland, MI

Rep. Ron Paul has won every post GOP debate online poll by a huge margain and his underdog campaign is generating great interest but the deliberate censorship towards him continues unabated as we speak. I would like to see him on the center podium next debate, I mean right in the middle with as much time to speak as McCain was given tonight

June 6, 2007 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  11. Jason, snellville, GA

This statement underscores why the Republican Party is failing. Midterm elections showed that failure and here is this tool spouting out this dribble.

June 6, 2007 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  12. Roger, Myrtle Beach SC

I strongly disagree I watched both debates and the GOP candidates bashed Bush more than the Democrats. As for solutions the GOP did not seem to have any more than the Democrats.

June 6, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  13. Marc, NY NY

Keep repeating this statement over and over and maybe you might just start to believe it. But nobody with any sense will!

June 6, 2007 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  14. Jeff Skjelver, Rugby ND

"...the Republicans have real solutions to our nation’s challenges.”

The central issue of the election and our nation's main challenge is the Iraq debacle. Ron Paul comes across as having the most common sense and the most logical solution for ending the Iraq quagmire. The rest of the field seem content to "stay the course" and continue the madness.

June 6, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. Sean Hannity, Houston, Tx

It appears that all media personel, political GOPAC insiders ect., want to narrow us down to the 3 stooges of Romney, Guiliani and McCain. These people are no less criminals and what ever it takes to get a vote and create more facism for this country. Did you see how CNN put these 3 together in the middle and focused the cameras on them constantly. Wolf Blitze controlled the questions by holding everyone to a limit and letting these 3 knuckle heads talk. 80% of the questions were focused to Moe, Larry and Curly while the other REAL Authentic candidates were pushed to the side. The ONLY person that had a real answers to government operations was RON PAUL. WHY is that? Because he is basing EVERYTHING on what our forefathers put in place. OUR CONSTITUTION! The facist media and corporate political money wagons stop at the top of the GOP and the people are ignored for a money controlled government. We are not free anymore...we need RON PAUL for president!

June 6, 2007 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  16. Steve, Washington DC

Ron Paul makes sense. I think this guy is the ticket to a better nation!!

I don't like RG's attitude...don't think he would make much of a President.

GO RP.