June 5th, 2007

Romney says no chance he'll distance himself from church

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney gave a wide-ranging answer when invited by moderator Wolf Blitzer to address the voters about his Mormon faith.

Romney referred to President John F. Kennedy, who in 1960 was the first Catholic elected President.

Romney said, "President Kennedy some time ago said that he was not a Catholic running for president, he was an American runnning for president."

Romney said questions on his faith are fair and that he shares the same values as members of other faiths across the country.

Romney said he believes "Jesus Christ is my savior," adding, "I believe God created man in his image. I believe that the freedoms of man derive from inalienable rights that were given to us by God."

Romney closed the answer with a message for political pundits, saying some of them hope he'll distance himself from the Mormon church to help himself politically.

"That's not going to happen," he said.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jim Eastburn, Topeka, KS

Since alot of congressmen in office currently are the same people who were in office in 1986, why, when the 1986 laws have not been enforced, should we believe that ANY new immigration laws will be enforced?

June 5, 2007 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  2. Jan, Perrysburg, OH

I was wondering why Wolf Blitzer did not hold Romney to the same standard as in the democratic debate – answer the question asked – not answer with one of his practiced sound bytes.

June 5, 2007 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  3. Alex, Boston MA

This whole exchange was a riot. Romney never mentioned "Mormon" or Latter-Day Saints. He said "my faith" or "my church" even though it made his sentences more awkward. He clearly was distancing himself in the language he used.

June 5, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  4. David Rupert

I'm not opposed to politicians who have faith - in fact, I think it is necessary to help guide our country. But I want it to be real. I want it to be genuine. I dont want it to be just for the cameras.

There is a great conversation about Politicians and faith found here:

June 5, 2007 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  5. Daniel, Provo, UT

Romney's response was sure bold, I am not sure how beneficial it will be for his campaign. Whether for good or for bad, he took a stand on the issue about his religion which will hopefully direct the attention of journalists and voters to more important issues related to policy-making.

June 5, 2007 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  6. Jessica, San Mateo CA

As a FORMER Mormon (I was brought up in the church, but left it as an adult) I was actually impressed with Romney's comments. I think Romney is a principled man who is willing to stand up for what he believes in. Knowing the criticism Mormons can face first hand (this had nothing to do with why I left the church), especially in the south, it takes some guts to be as forthcoming as he is. And Mormons are no more a cult than are Catholics or Methodists. They may be the most FAMILY oriented people in this country.

I won't be voting for a Republican but I have great respect for Mitt Romney for defending his religion and his belief in God and Jesus Christ.

June 5, 2007 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  7. Paul, Coram NY

I thought Begala was going to suffer an aneurism when he pointed out the fallacy of Romney's claim that Saddam refused entry to weapons inspectors in 2003 (they were already there, doing the job — Bush ordered them out and invaded!), and Mike Murphy tried to shift the argument to Hussein's refusal years earlier.

History, rewrit large.

June 5, 2007 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  8. Jeff Philadelphia PA

IF he refuses to distance himself from his church, that means he's going to be a good Mormon and do what he's told, blindly, without question.

So while American Catholics usually refuse to do the above, despite the requirement to by their faith, Mormons are well known for their lockstep obedience.

He cannot be allowed to ever hold national office, neither can any Mormon. Just look at the damage and repression in Utah they've caused.

June 6, 2007 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  9. Bettina River Forest, IL

Mr. Romney,
    Isn't it possible God created Evolution? I don't believe it is mutually exclusive and can't understand why you christians do!

June 6, 2007 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  10. BETTINA RIVER FOREST il

PAUL BEGALLA WAS RIGHT. ROMNEY IS AN IDIOT ANYWAY. THE INSPECTIONS HAPPNED AND TO THEIS DAY NO WEAPONS WERE FOUND. THANKS PAUL, YOU WERE ALERT TO CATCH THE MISTAKE TOO.

June 6, 2007 02:47 am at 2:47 am |