June 5th, 2007

Spinning out of control

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The debate's over, but the real fun is just underway. All the action right now is in the Spin Room. Never heard of such a place? Well, it's where the candidates go to tell journalists and bloggers what they just said – and meant – in the debate.

And it's where 'surrogates' go to brag about how well their candidates performed, which is basically SPIN.

Right now the room is packed. Reporters are doing live shots at the corners of the room and journalists and camera operators are crowding around surrogates speaking from ten different stations, one for each campaign. It's quite a zoo but very entertaining. The biggest star in the room right now is Senator Sam Brownback. He's the only candidate in the room but more will follow.

And guess what: Someone was just escorted out of the spin room by security. No details yet. But this also happened in the spin room during the Democratic debate on Sunday when blogger Eric Alterman was arrested.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. Anson Chi, Dallas, TX

Dr. Ron Paul was absolutely brilliant with the very limited time he was given at the debate! Stop the war and bring our troops home: very succinct. :D

June 5, 2007 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  2. Dave, Naples, NY

The only winner of the first two debates was Doctor Ron Paul. From what I saw this time it's no different. Ron Paul has the freshest ideas, most honest approach, and the most decisive policies of them all! Dr. Ron Paul won hands down! He's truly America's candidate. :)

June 5, 2007 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  3. Jason, snellville, GA

CNN, let Romney and Rudy answer every question....

Then guess what?

Rudy won.

June 5, 2007 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  4. Barbara Elmgren, Palo Alto, CA 94301

I was an activist for the Democrats, now I am an independant, and I have listened to and been aware of Romney's medical plan and was not that impress before. However, I am beginning to think that out of all the people running for President, he is the one I am most impressed with at this time. I like his stand on immigration and I like his honesty. I can't stand Mc Cain, I will never vote for him, his abrasive comments on immigration and other issues and his temperment is not what we need in the white house.

June 5, 2007 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  5. Nick, Urbana IL

Dr. Ron Paul is the only candidate who gave real conservative Republican answers to all of the questions. He is clearly the best suited to carry the Republican nomination for President of the United States.

June 5, 2007 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  6. James, Las Vegas NV

The biggest spin I saw was provided by CNN.

They give the only candidate on the stage with a true conservative view less time than all the other candidates; The American people are smart enough to see exactly what they're trying to do.

Try as you might CNN, Ron Paul's message has already got out, and ignoring it isn't going to make it go away.

It's a snowball effect, and it's a new world of information, we don't need you choosing our candidates for us anymore.

June 5, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  7. Joshua, Milford, DE

Dr. Paul was honest, I found it a bit disturbing that Wolf Blitzer didn't allow Ron Paul very much airtime. Ron Paul was the only respectful canidate up there, he didn't argue with Wolf and talk over him. However, I did notice Wolf constantly cut him short way earlier than the other canidates.

I would go so far as to say that Dr. Paul recieved only 50% of the airtime that Rudolph Guiliani did. I think there should be a buzzer initiated for these debates, and if they do not stop talking they lose time off their next question. They could then weigh in properly on what they thought was most important by overstaying their welcome on their strongpoints, and cutting short their weakpoints...or staying balanced.

Please CNN, take my advice..it would make things seem less skewed in favor of one canidate over the other.

Dr. Paul was very honest, and conscise in his answers and did not go off on emotional and personal tangents like many of the other canidates did. I still like Dr. Paul's message in comparison to the other canidates and he has my vote in the Primary.

Thank you.

June 5, 2007 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  8. Julius Beasley, Greenville NC

Dr. Paul, despite his limited screen time, said more than all the other candidates put together because Rudy McRomney and the others are clones of Kerry and Bush. Their message of fear has been so loud in America's ears we're growing deaf to the pitch.

June 5, 2007 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |