June 5th, 2007

Would you pardon Libby?

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) The ten Republican candidates were asked whether they would pardon I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, who on Tuesday was sentenced to 30 months in prison for lying to investigators looking into the leak of a CIA operative's identity.

Texas Rep. Ron Paul, Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore, California Rep. Duncan Hunter and Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee all responded "no," or "no, not without looking at the transcript."

Arizona Sen. John McCain: "He's going through an appeal process. We've got to see what happens here."

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani: "I think the sentence was way out of line. I would see if it fit the criteria for pardon. I think what the judge did today argues more in favor of a pardon
because...this is excessive punishment."

Former Massachussetts Gov. Mitt Romney: "I will study it very closely if I'm lucky enough to be president, and I'd keep that option open."

Sen. Sam Brownback: "Yes. The basic crime here didn't happen."

Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson: "I would make sure the appeal was done properly, and then I would examine the record."

Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo: "Yes."

–CNN.com writer Kristi Keck

Filed under: Scooter Libby
  1. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

Giuliani said that Libby's sentence was excessive punishment! That is absurd! Mr. Libby gave information out to reporters that potentially endangered the life of a CIA operative, and only got 2 1/2 years for it and a $250,000 fine. Not to mentioned he possibly perjured himself. I don't think his sentence was "excessive". The punishment fit the crime.

June 5, 2007 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  2. Jane Gross, San Marcos, Ca.

Ron Paul was right Libby should not be pardoned. He was found guilty and he should do his time like anyone else.

June 5, 2007 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  3. Mark, Oakland, CA

I believe that Tommy Thompson actually said something along the lines of:
    Clinton was disbarred for perjury of a grand jury, and it is unfair that Libby only must serve jail time.

June 5, 2007 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. jeremy, mt,vernon IN

If I was a normal human being I would double the sentenced
    if I was George W. I pardon him just before I leave office

June 5, 2007 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  5. A. R. Lincoln Park, Michigan

Jessica – If you had bothered to listen to the entire answer which was how can you "expose and endanger" an agent that is not even in the "field" to be exposed. Check your facts – the girl was never a field agent, pushing papers in the office is hardly undercover.... the only thing Plame was exposed for was recommending her husband for a job he was not qualified for and did not even attempt to do well.

June 5, 2007 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  6. Jonathan, Quakertown, Pennsylvania

The next time Giuliani decides to filibuster for more face time, turn his microphone off. Just because he has an early lead in the polls doesn't mean that he should be allowed to hog all the stage time.

June 5, 2007 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  7. Paul, Orlando, FL

I can't believe all these people lining up to pardon Scooter Libby. And they want to send a message they are opposed to government corruption? Give me a break. If you want to guarantee NO corruption, look no further than Ron Paul, who doesn't participate in the House pension plan he is ENTITLED to because he doesn't want to take the extra taxpayer dollars. A man like that is corruption proof.

June 5, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  8. bret, atl, ga

EARTH TO CNN...

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA DOES NOT CARE ABOUT SCOOTER LIBBY.

TRANSMISSION OVER.

June 5, 2007 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  9. Anthony, Huntsville, AL

The absurdity of this is astounding. No one else trapped in our criminal justice system gets considered so readily for a pardon – Crony ism at its finest. He broke the law, and he should suffer the consequences (you know the rule of law, that thing they like to flaunt in the media). The Republicans were calling for Clinton's head for lying under oath. Libby is just as guilty and should serve as an example to us all.

June 6, 2007 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  10. Douglass, Indianapolis, IN

“I think the sentence was way out of line. I would see if it fit the criteria for pardon. I think what the judge did today argues more in favor of a pardon
    because…this is excessive punishment.”

This is excessive punishment, but attacking a nation that carried out no force of action against us is? According to Rudy Giuliani, attacking a peaceful nation at the expense of innocent lives is a necessity, but punishing someone for breaking the law and endangering a U.S. intelligence agent is "excessive punishment."

June 6, 2007 01:56 am at 1:56 am |