June 6th, 2007

Which GOP candidate flies first class?

Ten GOP candidates squared off Tuesday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Seen on board the 6 a.m. US Airways flight 1159 from Manchester, New Hampshire to Washington: No less than five GOP presidential candidates: Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Rep. Duncan Hunter of California, former Virginia Gov. James Gilmore, and Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas.

Four of the five candidates sat in coach.

The lucky candidate who flew first class? Ron Paul.

The candidates were all flying back after facing off Tuesday night in a spirited debate in Manchester, New Hampshire, sponsored by CNN, WMUR-TV, and the New Hampshire Union Leader.

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. David Vienna

I think Ron Paul will take this to the white house if the people get there way.

June 13, 2007 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. Mike Kansas City, MO

Have you ever had a free first class upgrade?

Is this the best you got CNN? I'd expect this on that OTHER news channel, not cnn.

GO RON PAUL

June 13, 2007 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  3. Kevin, Los Angeles, CA

Well, that's it for me. I'm removing CNN from my bookmarks and replacing it with freemarket news.com. CNN has become (or always has been?) as bad as FOX at warping news into entertainment (Actually, 60 Minutes started the trend back in the '70s). It's all blathering pundits, spin, and political football with no attention to the issues that would help Americans understand their world, be a part of it, and make a difference.

No thanks CNN, I'll go to E! Online or The Hollywood Reporter for entertainment.

Ron Paul 2008!

June 14, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. Caleb - Waldorf, MD

Wow CNN, what a story!!

June 14, 2007 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  5. Kate, Manchester, NH

"Virginia governor Jim Gilmore also flew first class on the same plane."

June 14, 2007 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  6. Ryan, Brno Czech Republic

First class...all the way to the White House. Been a loooooong time since we had a candidate worthy of first class.

June 15, 2007 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  7. Chad, Bryn Athyn PA

CNN is really getting sad. I hope they choose to make some kind of clarifying statement about why Ron Paul is a totally irrelevant long shot candidate, but why it's somehow important that he flew first class...

Nevermind that CNN lied about him being the only one.

Nevermind that Clinton, Edwards, Obama, McCaine, Giuliani, and Romney all flew on Private Jets...

Nevermind that Ron Paul used his frequent flyer status to upgrade to first class.

Nevermind that nobody would care if he was "rich" anyway. Never mind that he has proven over and over again that money is not why he's in politics (he takes the LEAST money from special interest groups in the ENTIRE congress)...

CNN is really plummeting...

June 18, 2007 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. Dusty Bogart,TN

Thanks for letting me know he is a rich evil politician out of touch with us little people and the others are good down to earth poor honorable people. I'll vote for anyone but him now that you told me how to think...you really must be afraid he has a chance to right this hot news story.

June 20, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  9. CasaZaza

And you wonder why mainstream media has lost any shred of credibility? It's because of idiotic news items like this – now why don't you crank it up a notch and tell us how Ron Paul ordered the chicken dinner on the flight, and don't forget the Anna Nicole and Britney references – you are pathetic and deserve your miserable ratings!

June 21, 2007 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  10. EARL FROM SAN JOSE, CAILFORNIA

AS IT SHOULD BE!!

June 21, 2007 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  11. renzo, san pedro CA

Well after all it was only his right to choose? Should he instead walk around in rags in order to prove something?

June 22, 2007 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  12. dick, houston, texas

Report some real news.

June 30, 2007 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  13. brendan,Melbourne,vic

===========
    I wish I lived in America so I can vote for Ron Paul

Its unbeliavable to see how the American mainstream media is manipulating its people

You guys better make sure Bush family doesnt count the votes this time like it did in the last two elections
    =============

July 3, 2007 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  14. Bud, Montague, NJ

Hahahah, you're so sad – you won't even put your name as the author of this 'piece'.

I would PERSONALLY buy Dr. Paul that seat!

www ronpaul2008 com

July 3, 2007 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  15. Joe Lawson

Ha Ha – Just means Ron Paul is raising a whole lot more donations than those others. But it really doesn't matter some company is going to donate private jet service for Ron Paul. Interesting that you did not comment on Guiliani, Romney, McCain, Tancredo or Hillary or Edwards whose haircut costs more than a first class plane ticket

July 4, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. Cindy Morgan

I work for US Airways, and would like to tell everyone that we chose to UPGRADE FOR FREE Dr. Ron Paul because he is a man of truth and a man of the constitution. US Airways supports Dr. Ron Paul, but none of the other candidates!

July 6, 2007 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. Paso Robles Ca.

So why focus on Doctor Ron Paul flying on a commercial flight in first class? Why is there no mention that Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, John Edwards, Christopher Dodd, John McCain and Barack Obama have all been using corporate jets to flit around the country. This causes an obvious conflict of interests and gives the opportunity for corporate interests to easily gain favor with future Presidents.

July 7, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  18. Kelly, Phoenix AZ

"Forget it, I'm not voting for him now. How dare he?!" Is that the response you expected from this story?

I'm sure he was upgraded for free by the gate agents. That's what I would have done when I worked in the airlines. Ron Paul is First Class!

July 8, 2007 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. P. Nicholson Biloxi, Mississippi

CNN.. come on. If you want to smear him you gotta find better dirt..

I know you media elites are scared. Average Americans are going to put the person they want in office and you cant do anything about it!

July 10, 2007 05:22 am at 5:22 am |
  20. Logan, Honalulu, Hawaii

Maybe the flight crew bumped him up to first class due to the fact that he SHOULD be the next President of the USA

July 10, 2007 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  21. W, The Netherlands

Would CNN like to comment on all these replies?

July 15, 2007 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  22. Victoria, San Diego, CA

Way to go Dr. Paul! I'm glad to see that the airline upgraded you and you are flying first class as you should! Thanks CNN for letting the people know that their candidate is being properly cared for! :)

July 15, 2007 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  23. Jason Mitchell, Fredericksburg, VA

That also could be because he has raised more money than the rest of them. Next time, John McCain will be in Coach while Ron flies first class again. I'm happy for him, and I donated money to his campaign to allow him to be able to do so.

July 19, 2007 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  24. Jim

Way to go Ron Paul you deserve first class all the way. I am glad CNN decided to cover this other than the other 50 other note worthy stories about you!

July 22, 2007 02:03 am at 2:03 am |