June 6th, 2007

Which GOP candidate flies first class?

Ten GOP candidates squared off Tuesday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Seen on board the 6 a.m. US Airways flight 1159 from Manchester, New Hampshire to Washington: No less than five GOP presidential candidates: Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Rep. Duncan Hunter of California, former Virginia Gov. James Gilmore, and Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas.

Four of the five candidates sat in coach.

The lucky candidate who flew first class? Ron Paul.

The candidates were all flying back after facing off Tuesday night in a spirited debate in Manchester, New Hampshire, sponsored by CNN, WMUR-TV, and the New Hampshire Union Leader.

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. Ann Dothan Alabama

Great point CNN, I really hadn't given much thought to the cost of travel for Dr. Paul. Quess this weekend will be a stay home weekend so I can send in another $100 to help with his next flight. Ann

June 8, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. Michael Holt, Austin Texas

The hardest working man in Washington deserves to fly first class :-) ***RON PAUL 2008***

June 8, 2007 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  3. Ronny Blitchton GA

You guys are at rock bottom, come up with nothing and have started in with the jackhammers. LOL. This is truely a peice of work...Please don't vote RP...he chooses to buy first class tickets. This is rich

June 8, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  4. meghan mccumbers, kalispell, montana

so uh what exactly do the flight habits of the candidates have to do with what kind of president they will be? maybe the media ought to start reporting real news? just a thought

June 8, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Matt, Huntsville AL

Ron Paul is first class. Rudy McRomney probably each flew on a $100,000 corporate flight sponsored by an oil company.

June 8, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. Danny K. Orange, CA

Isn't Hilary and Obama taking corporate jets?

June 8, 2007 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  7. J. Stevens Houston, Texas

That's NEWS with capital letters, wow, you guys will have to do better to deceive the American people. My God, this is the lowest kick under the belt you guys have given Ron Paul so far, congratulations.

June 8, 2007 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  8. John, Salt Lake City Utah

Is this your attempt at trying to smear Ron Paul while Rudy McRomney flies all over the country in their private jets?

June 8, 2007 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. Tim, NJ

Hah! Maybe the rest of those candidates should take some lessons from Ron Paul on good fiscal policy and they too could ride in 1st class!

Seriously, as has been said elsewhere: I bet this has something to do with his frequent flyer miles from flying home to Texas EVERY weekend for years now.

June 8, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. steve, Brooklyn NY

My goodness. I am absolutely appalled and outraged at Ron for flying first class (the highest of all classes, no doubt). We should pass a law to prevent this sort of offensive behavior.

June 8, 2007 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. Aaron

So what was the point of this story?
    Ron Paul in 08!

June 8, 2007 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  12. Mike

Dr. Paul has saved lives so he deserves every penny of his wealth.

June 8, 2007 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  13. Sal, Wellington, Florida

Since Ron Paul won the debate, they probably gave him the first class upgrade. I know I'd have given it to the winner as well...

June 8, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  14. Mike

Once Ron Paul eliminates the Federal Reserve, the inflation will go away and everyone will be able to afford 1st class. Simple really!

June 8, 2007 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  15. Jammie Alabama

Please stop....can't breath, can't stop laughing, first class...OH MY...Whats next? Don't tell me he had peanuts and coffee :O ...I feel faint..This article just went off the charts on my dumbest attempt at a smear meter.

June 8, 2007 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  16. Jon Mangin, New Vernon, NJ

Nice try, CNN. Your attempt to make Ron Paul look bad backfired just as much as your decision to pull the comments section the other night.

Ron Paul I guess should not be in first class. He deserves a private plane with military escort.

June 8, 2007 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  17. Victor, CA

CNN. You are losing credibility every day. Not at FOX news level, but getting close.

June 8, 2007 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  18. Mrs. Holland, Gretna, La.

Yet somehow you forgot to mention the candidates who use corporate jets for their mode of transportation.

Mr. Ron Paul has my full support when flying first class, he deserves it!

June 8, 2007 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  19. Jive Dadson - San Jose CA

If that's how he chooses to spend his money, it's his business. If I could afford it, I would fly first class too. Ron Paul has yet to take a penny of campaign funds from corporations. Ask the others where they get their money. He gives back a portion of his House salary to the treasury. How many of the others do that? He declines to participate in the government pension fund. How many of the others do that? Let him sit where he wants to.

June 8, 2007 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  20. Jive Dadson - San Jose CA

But... I'm glad you are giving us Ron Paul supporters the opportunity to speak. How about doing the same for Dr. Paul? Give him as much time as the others, okay? The country will thank you – big time.

June 8, 2007 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  21. Nate, Spokane, Washington

Dang it people. I am a huge Ron Paul fan but stop kissing his arse. I expected to hear one person say that he IS first class, but 145 comments! Come on!

June 8, 2007 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  22. Sean, The Colony, TX

Hey CNN can you tell me which candidate votes to spend less of my money? Guess what is Ron Paul.

June 9, 2007 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  23. ShaneC - Hampton Roads, VA

That's absured! I thought I was the only one who was able to get a free bump to First Class!!!

June 9, 2007 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  24. saltmagic

The question should be..... Which candidate flys..private "CORPORATE JETS"....but I guess that would imply truth to the corporate owned front runners, remember " It takes a village" of corruption to get your stooge in.

June 9, 2007 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  25. JB Clarksville Indiana

Thats cool I'll be flying First class too when he gets rid of the IRS.

June 9, 2007 11:51 am at 11:51 am |