June 6th, 2007

Which GOP candidate flies first class?

Ten GOP candidates squared off Tuesday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Seen on board the 6 a.m. US Airways flight 1159 from Manchester, New Hampshire to Washington: No less than five GOP presidential candidates: Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Rep. Duncan Hunter of California, former Virginia Gov. James Gilmore, and Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas.

Four of the five candidates sat in coach.

The lucky candidate who flew first class? Ron Paul.

The candidates were all flying back after facing off Tuesday night in a spirited debate in Manchester, New Hampshire, sponsored by CNN, WMUR-TV, and the New Hampshire Union Leader.

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. Stacey, Tampa, FL

So sorry he doesn't fly in his own private jet yet.

June 11, 2007 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. georgia

good to see that ron paul is flying on commercial airlines so he wont get "Wellstoned"

check out fromthewildernes.com's articles on the murder of senator paul wellstone

June 11, 2007 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Okey Wagner, Cleburne TX

I'm sure all the "Other" candidates sitting in back had photographers back there with them. What a great publicity shot. Shows that they are "commoners"! CNN you continue to amaze me with your lack of REAL reporting skills. How about this one..."Ron Paul asks for EXTRA ketchup at McDonalds, while the other candidates had to eat dirt".

June 11, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. Jeff, Norfolk, VA

CNN is this all you can report about the leading candidate!!, how about some real issues like Constitutional Liberty, which there is an immense lack of in the mainstream. This deliberate smear campaign only shows the media's true backing, it is truly disgusting. All I can say, wow.

June 11, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  5. Matt, Brownstown, MI

Instead of trying to slam him for something as trivial as this, why not cover something important about him like the message he's bringing to America? This seems very petty.

June 11, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. SK, Orlando, FL

So what's your point? Is this your idea of a smear tactic? People who believe in individual liberty do not play class warfare - on the contrary, they admire and support those who have legitmately gained success for themselves! Ron Paul is first class all the way and has my vote no matter what seat he flies in!!!

June 11, 2007 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  7. Todd Whiting, san dimas CA

Any candidate with a VOTING RECORD that looks like this has my permission to fly first class.
    He has never voted to raise taxes.
    He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
    He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
    He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
    He has never taken a government-paid junket.
    He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
    He voted against regulating the Internet.
    He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
    He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

June 11, 2007 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  8. Tim Ryan, Cartersville, Georgia

This is news? C'mon CNN. You're going to have to do better than that to compete with the internet.

June 11, 2007 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. Robert Schlereth

It is amazing how you ignore Ron Paul generally but you are able to find something as trivial as flying 1st class vs coach to smear him about. Ron Paul is a first class candidate who deserves to fly first class.

June 11, 2007 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  10. Kevin, The Big Apple, NY

CNN... And yet, another cheap and irrelevant shot at Dr. Paul. Did you check Dr. Paul's ticket for this insightful report? Did you ever think that because the man has flown constantly he might be entitled to an upgrade to first class? Who gives a crap if he flew first class, were you paying for it? Is this brainless blurb to show that Dr. Paul is an elitist because he flies first class? How stupid! You folks just continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel and are closely earning the title to your new name: CNN – Contains No News. Get with it.

June 11, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  11. Doug Topeka, KS

why is this news?! what's the latest with paris h??? :P

c'mon, is this the worst you have on Ron Paul?

June 11, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. Jacob, Ypsi, MI

who cares!?!?! Ron Paul has earned much more than first class flights, and he deserves better press than this. write something about how he will fix our corrupt monetary system, or one of the many other things he will do to restore liberty in the country.

June 11, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  13. pebble, CA

What kind of journalism is this, CNN? Why don't you find a better use of our time, like exploring the actual positions of the candidates, or how the media is trying to pretend that Dr. Paul is a 'gadfly' when in fact he's the only candidate of *any* integrity and truthfulness.

June 11, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  14. Ryan Murphy. Dunwoody, GA

If it were left up to me, I would have put most of the other candidates in the baggage compartment,staring with Guiliani, as they are such an embarrassment.

June 11, 2007 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  15. John McKerrow, Hamilton, Ontario

What is more newsworthy: which candidates fly first-class or which candidates advocate pre-emptive nuclear strikes? This is just more disgraceful smearing by CNN.
    Is it possible Dr. Paul paid for his own ticket? I would bet he did.

June 11, 2007 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  16. Jeff in Fort Lauderdale

His staff was probably smart enough to get him bumped, and like so many others have said before me, he is worthy.

June 11, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. Dennis Johnson

I wanted to comment on your first class seating of Dr. Ron Paul story, but it looks like most of America beat me to it. Took me half an hour to scroll to the bottom of all the posts.

CNN – Do you still really believe all these posts are done by one spammer?

1st Class for a 1st class guy!

RONPAUL2008

June 11, 2007 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  18. H Mahmoud, Richmond, VA

CNN can try to pretend Ron Paul is a long shot all they want. All I know is that for the first time in my life I am considering casting a vote for a Republican. And I consider myself pretty liberal. But on the most pressing issues - foreign policy, upholding the Constitution, etc. Ron Paul is the only one (who actually has a chance of getting a nomination from either party) I could trust to do the right thing. I never thought I'd ever vote Republican - but I know a vote for Obama or Clinton would be a sham since they don't seem to mind the status quo.

CNN is just showing its hand by trying too hard. I think it will actually work in Ron Paul's favor. After all, if defenders of the status quo dislike him this much - he has got to be the real deal.

June 11, 2007 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  19. Will, Hattiesburg, MS

What is wrong with flying first class?

June 11, 2007 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  20. Andy, Pearland, TX

Unbelievable that CNN would think this is worthy of the time to type it. I work with guys who fly all the time and fly 1st because THEY GET UPGRADED! Either way, he's the only one of this bunch who gives part of his congressional budget BACK EVERY YEAR! Who fiscally conservative and who not? Why not ask that question!

June 11, 2007 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  21. JA, Manchester, NH

Ron Paul has made enough money that he can afford to fly however he wishes.

He is the only 'first class' candidate we have!
    He is keeping up with his duties in the Congress as well as campaigning so anything that makes him comfortable is alright with me!

And who is to say that he is not paying for these flights out of pocket? We're not talking millions here...as some of the D's have spent so far!

June 11, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  22. joshua

I think CNN is just running little stories with Ron Pauls name in the story to see how many responses they will get. Maybe they will realize that covering Dr Paul will draw a large audience because he tells the truth. Please vote in primaries. A liberal for Ron Paul

June 11, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  23. Scott, Saint Louis MO

Who cares! I do not see any reference to "el Duce" Giuliani, "$400 haircut" Edwards, or any of the other so called "front runners" and their true lavish spending on themselves from their campaign finds! CNN should report the NEWS, not show your lame bias. GO RON PAUL!

June 11, 2007 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  24. Will, South Carolina

I agree, H Mahmoud.
    Why would anybody waste time going after the man if his views have no merit?
    In truth, Ron Paul speaks truth instead of manipulating the public for personal gain.
    While I don't agree with all of his issues, I will vote for him based on honesty alone. I'm sure millions more will continue to wake up and do the same.

June 11, 2007 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. Gabe Harris, Scituate MA

Guliani has a jet that was paid for by the saudi arabians! You think that might be a conflict of interest should he become president???!??

CNN your network is trying to do whatever it can from talking about real issues...it is un-american and disgusting. Why don't you investigate all the millions in tax payer dollars wasted on travel by the congress?!?

June 11, 2007 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |