June 11th, 2007

Brownback set for Iowa blitz

Brownback is set for a busy bus tour of Iowa.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback announced Monday he'll visit 27 Iowa towns in four days later this month on a bus tour the campaign is calling "Parker to Ames, Farmer to President."

"My road to the White House began in Parker, Kansas, where I grew up on a farm, and now takes me through Iowa," the GOP presidential hopeful said in a statement. "It was growing up in the Heartland that I learned the conservative values and principles that will guide me as president.

"I am thrilled to meet with families, business owners, senior citizens and the hardworking people of the Hawkeye State," he added.

The bus tour is set to run from June 18-21.

The announcement comes days after Brownback vowed to go "head to head" with fellow Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney in the state's straw poll this August, and criticized the former Massachusetts Republican for declaring himself the winner of the event "before the game is played."

The straw poll, sponsored by the state Republican party and set to be held in Ames, Iowa, on August 11, has traditionally been seen as a barometer of a candidate’s organizational strength in the early-voting state. Earlier last week both former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Arizona Sen. John McCain announced they would not participate in the event.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Iowa • Sam Brownback
  1. bret, atl, ga

Romney isn't fooling anyone. Of course, neither is Sam Brownback. Ron Paul's gonna pull off the shocker!

June 11, 2007 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  2. Jonathan, Silver Spring, MD

Sam Brownback is so inexperienced and out-of-touch with international issues. He policy will harm America's national interest if elect.

He is better off stay as the agricuture secretary of Kansas.

June 11, 2007 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  3. John, Queens, NY

Brownback might be the comeback kid of the year. The media has yet to begin to grasp the heartland's level of support of Brownback. Substance of character is not "sexy" within mainstream media but the American people will place more value on convictions than on the "flash" of soundbites.

June 11, 2007 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  4. Bob Hazelwood, MO

I like Brownback alot. I agree with most of his views, he would make a nice Vice-President candidate if he doesn't do well in the Primaries, especially if the Presidential candidate comes out of N.Y. or MA.

June 11, 2007 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  5. S. Richard, Olathe, KS

"The media has yet to begin to grasp the heartland's level of support of Brownback."

Mainly, nonexistent. I'm a Kansas conservative, but I do not support Brownback, and neither does anyone I know. He may be socially conservative, but he is also weak on immigration, friendly to earmark utilization, and has zero charisma. My money and vote is with Romney.

June 11, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  6. Jill, New York, NY

The convictions of Sam Brownback has brought him to become a strong advocate on behalf of the persecuted refugees in Sudan. He is one of the few senators who voices support for those trapped in human trafficking. Go Sam go!

June 11, 2007 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |