June 13th, 2007

Bush calls watch story 'ludicrous'

Bush rolled up his sleeve for photographers Wednesday.

(CNN) – To truly dismiss false reports of a stolen presidential timepiece, a picture is worth a thousand words.

President Bush officially put to rest days of Internet rumors and international reports that his watch had been stolen as he greeted a crowd in Albania over the weekend when, on Wednesday afternoon, he rolled up his sleeves for a photographer, revealing the timepiece in question.

The White House said, indeed, it is the same leather wristwatch he was wearing in Albania.

The picture happened as reporters were leaving an Oval Office event with new White House counselor Ed Gillespie.

According to CNN’s Ed Henry, a Time magazine photographer asked Mr. Bush on the way out, “Do you have the time?”

The president played along and let the photographer snap a shot of the watch.

“I have never seen such a ludicrous story. Unbelievable," the president said.

– Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Matt - Bethesda, MD

Please watch the video before spouting inane conspiracy theories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M_FbfO4mMc

The watch was not stolen.

June 13, 2007 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  2. Juan Jimenez, San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA

Three days later, now he shows the alleged watch. How long does it take for anyone in the White House or Secret Service to find the same watch? How many faithful repukeblicans own the same watch? How long does it take for FedEx to deliver a new watch? How many WMD did we find in Iraq? How much evidence has surfaced to prove that Bush performed his military duties with his unit? When was the "mission accomplished"?

June 13, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  3. Jared, Raleigh, NC

This is amazing, look at all you people and media harping over a watch.
    As if there aren't enough bigger issues to worry about.
    Everyone thinks the photos are doctored, maybe its the video, or maybe it is edited and does not show our President taking it off without being obvious. It is 2007 technology is amazing.
    If you were in a crowd of hundreds of thousands of people as the President in a foreign country would you want to lead them to think you couldnt trust them over your watch and ring?
    Oh yeah, left wing, right wing, who cares anymore, the American people changed the power in Congress and what happened in the 1st "100 hours" as Ms. Pelosi so passionately promised. NOTHING.
    I think its time the American people execute their constitutional right to remove all members of Congress and this Administration and start clean.

Jared Musante
    Sgt USMC IRR

June 13, 2007 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  4. Jeff, Winston Salem, NC

I do not really care for Bush or Clinton. But how can you get so worked up over a watch but say it is his personal business when it comes to lying under oath (which was proven)? That is why everyone sees through see many liberals, always defend the indefensible. For example, what abotu your hero Al Gore, Clinton, and Kerry, they all agreed with Bush about wmd in Irag, but somehow Bush is the only that lied? How funny. I agree Bush has not been good, but you amaze me how you talk out of both sides of your mouth. If you could be honest about yourselves, you might get more respect. It is fine to call him out for lying, even a good thing to keep tabs on him, but why not do the same when it is someone from your own party?

June 13, 2007 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  5. travis, bay area, ca

liberals carping?? Uhhh.. obviously your Republican president & administration care about the "non-issue" they are the ones who felt a need to respond to the story. How about telling your conservative president to pick which stories to respond to a little better. Funny, how conservatives always try to blame liberals (or change the subject to Clinton). Lastly, you commented, so aren't you (NoName) joining the fray?

June 13, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  6. Danny H, Corpus Christi, Texas

It's great to see our President likes to focus on the important matters at hand. If the story is truly "ludicrous" why play part to it. How about you keep ACTING like you are worried about the men and women you put in harms way and "stay the course." Don't get sidetracked by a story that puts you up there with Paris Hilton be re-sent to jail.

June 13, 2007 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  7. Jeff Spokane WA

With all the other matters of substance in the world, why worry about a presidential watch? If he lost it I am sure he can buy another, or at least you and I will buy another for him. But really, the media has to have something better to do than waste time and money on such a petty item!

June 13, 2007 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  8. Foolfinder, Houston, TX

LOL – look at all the comments from people who think it is not the same watch!

NBC's Today showed aired this watch story this morning and showed a different camera that showed the president taking off his watch and handing it to an aid. The way the people were reaching for him it was probably pulling on his arm hairs, not to mention if it were me I would be concerned with my watch getting ripped off my arm.

Yet the media tries to make the president out that he is concerned that all Albanians are a bunch of pick-pocketing thieves out for his watch. And to read the comments here ... my God, this citizens of this country need help.

June 13, 2007 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  9. Mark Morales, Lavallette, NJ

CLEARLY not the same watch.

June 13, 2007 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  10. Tricia M PEI Canada

I couldn't care less about Bush's watch! But I wonder what video others viewed?

The one I saw, definitely showed someone in the crowd having a firm hold on Bush's wrist, it very much appeared they were trying to undo the watch strap, then it showed Bush breaking free, putting both arms down by his side, working the strap and slipping something into his pocket. Sorry to cause dissention, but I saw this with my own eyes. I have NO reason to lie, as I couldn't give a &*&^% about his Watch or anything else about him!

However, now that the watch is safe he can use it to count down the hours to 2008 when the world will finally, prayerfully, get to see a new face on their screens and hear a new American leader speak in fluent, grammatically correct English!

June 13, 2007 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  11. Molly, Concord, MA

Glad to see media attention wasted on Paris Hilton and wristwatches instead of the presidential election...

June 14, 2007 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  12. Henry, Baltimore MD

If you watch the entire video you can see him turn away from the crowd and reach to take off his watch. He then places it in his pocket.

June 14, 2007 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  13. frances, washington dc

Bush definitely *needs* a new watch – the kind that tells him it's TIME to get out of Iraq!

Pelosi could use one, too, to tell her it's TIME to introduce Articles of Impeachment against Bush and get behind the introduced bill to impeach Cheney.

June 14, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  14. Bon, Mesa, AZ

The White House lies so much it's clear that they believe their own lies. I wonder about Tony Snow who, while battling cancer, has to perpetuate these lies while professing to live well. What the Bush Administration doesn't realize is that by this time, their lies precede them. How can you tell if Bush is lying? His lips are moving! (old joke, I know, but appropriate here)

June 14, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  15. Doye Thibodeaux, Rayne, Louisiana

Well, first of all, I am 16 years young and I am most probably more mature than most of the people that post their thoughts on CNN. I don't understand what makes everyone believe that they are better than President Bush, since he is not just a good president but an amazing man. It seems too me that the people of the U.S. would prefer someone who would decieve them instead of be honest whether the people like it or not. I, for one, would prefer honesty over a liar. I would also Love too see one of the people that complain all so much about him, try and become The President.. I doubt they would prevail very far. I am totally for Bush. People just need too see how, at least, we have a good president right now. I may be young, but I am not unaware of the troubles that we are facing now and in our future(s). I hope all of you can see how just President Bush really is. Thank you

June 15, 2007 04:38 am at 4:38 am |
  16. Ann, Brunswick, ME

My God! How pathetic are the media. Make up a ruse about a watch to deflect any attention from the warm welcome Bush enjoyed on that trip. How tacky can you get.

June 15, 2007 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |