June 14th, 2007

Schneider: Need to be liked to be president?

According to a new CNN poll, Sen. HIllary Clinton leads - even though Democrats find Sen. Barack Obama more likeable.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Does likeability matter for a presidential candidate?

It may not be the determining factor, but likeability does matter.

Hillary Clinton is now the frontrunner among New Hampshire Democrats. But when Democrats were asked which candidate they find most likeable, Clinton came in third, behind Barack Obama and John Edwards.

Full story

Filed under: Polls
  1. Joey, Columbus, OH

Go! Hillary! Go! experience is what I look for and you certaintly have my vote. I've had many boss's i didnt like but i cannot deny that they were the best in what they did.

June 14, 2007 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  2. Matt Houston Texas

And what has Hillary done? Nothing of any importance

June 14, 2007 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  3. Kelsey Hamilton-Layer, Louisville, KY

Some people ask the most ignorant questions. Why would someone in Texas have an opinion that mattered? People in New York know how awesome Hillary Clinton has been as a TWO term elected official. She is a warrior and has been judged unfairly by many for some of the most idiotic reasons. Come hell or high water, I am voting for HILLARY CLINTON!

June 14, 2007 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  4. Frank, Saratoga Springs, NY

So Kelsey, what exactly has Hillary done as a two-term elected official? That's what I am waiting to hear! If it were not for the liberal bastion known as New York City, she would have never been elected to a second term. She has done nothing for Upstate New York!

June 14, 2007 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  5. Jeff, Rochester MI

Obviously, likeability doesn't matter. George W. Bush was elected twice. Not only did almost half the country not like him to begin with, his own party doesn't like him now. If Hillary gets the nomination she'll get elected not because voters like her but because they don't trust or like the opposition.

June 14, 2007 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  6. Harold NY NY

To answer Frank's question from my point of view:

Not a thing.

As a resident of NY, my taxes have never been higher, the cost of mass transit jumps about 20% every 2 years. Public Schools I can't use and jobs leaving NYC for India.

She is a typical candidate. She hasn't done a thing for the residents of this state.

Nothing tangible from someone who lives here anyway.

No wonder I am pondering moving to Connecticut. At least there I don't have to pay obscene taxes and struggle to have my kids get a decent education.

June 14, 2007 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  7. Kelsey Hamilton-Layer, Louisville, KY

Well Frank, as I recall, there were plenty of upstaters singing her praises when she was on the election trail. And if my memory serves me correctly, she did very well in upstate New York, in both elections? Pull your head out of the sand!

June 14, 2007 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  8. DMW, Roeland Park, KS

Hillary is a GREAT! Most folks seem to hate or dislike her because they are Republican and still can not get over the fact that a Democrat won the White House in the 1990's when I had been hearing for years that a Democrat would NEVER win again in this century because we all went to the right.

Bill and Hillary may pay for that from now until the cows come home. Yet, if Americans were really honest and stopped being judgemental, they know in their hearts that The Clinton Presidency was a good one.

We all have personal problems in our lives. So to hear complaint after complaint about Whitewater, Monica, yada, yada, yada, yawn, yawn, yawn...enough already.

If Hillary makes it to the general election, she has my vote as well!!

June 14, 2007 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  9. Tom,Mission Viejo, CA

What has Hillary done to persuade you to vote for her? I've certainly heard her vocal opposition to Republicans and Bush, but I still don't know what she stands for? What will she do, where will she lead us? What vision does she have other than...do the opposite of Bush?

honest, i'd like to hear some answers

June 14, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  10. Hammond

Can you trust someone you don't like? No.

June 15, 2007 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  11. Shawnie Cannon, Grants Pass, OR

What I get out of Bill Schneider's story is that we Americans are (thankfully) not so shallow. We vote for who we think will lead the country best, not for who we would invite to dinner or root for in the next beauty pageant. And that is true for both Democratic and Republican parties.

June 15, 2007 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  12. Deb, Webster NC

Tom,
    We do know she stands for pandering to the far left, changing her stand to suit polls. We do know she now wants to pull out from Iraq, leaving a bloodbath (think Gaza) instead of a young democracic ally in the Middle East. We do know she and the left feels that assisting brave Iraqis who are trying to fight terrorists from gaining a launchpad in the central Mid-East, is not a worthy effort for our military or our national security. If we leave this fight, our world standing against fanatics and tyrants drops to zilch. We must stand firm and defeat them now, yet Hillary would cave to them. That's all I need to know about her.

June 15, 2007 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  13. Matt Houston, Texas

For all those defending Hillary I still havent heard of anything good she has done?

So according to DMW she should be voted for because of her husband being President. The fact that she has been with him to further her political goals is supposed to be a moot point.

Kelsey things we should vote for her because she did well in a Democrat state.

Keep those solid reasons coming. She definately seems to be a great candidate (sarcasm). Eventually we will be able to overlook all those speeches she gives pandering to whoever she is speaking to and we can believe she is just a "good person"

June 15, 2007 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  14. Loraine Pace DeBary Florida

I think Obama has a lot going for him in this Presidential campaign but I still have not heard anything of substance in what is shown on t.v.,
    therefore unless his speech's change I would have a hard time voting for him.

June 15, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  15. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

If I have to choose between affection and respect, I'll go with respect every time. Bush is what we got when voters used the test of whether they would want to have a snort with him. I want someone whose command of facts and sense of integrity I can trust.

June 15, 2007 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  16. Fabio Escobar, Amherst NY

What a lame "analysis." Saying something "matters" is about as meaningful as saying it exists. In other words, it says just about nothing and commits the speaker to no significant claim. This then allow the speaker to not have to defend the claim, since none was ever really made.

This kind of "analysis" is what passes for serious reportage in the United States. All entertainment, all the time, and no serious thought or analysis.

June 16, 2007 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  17. james hummel fairport ohio

clinton is a republican posing as a democrat

November 8, 2007 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |