June 15th, 2007

Jolie: Is celebrity too distracting in presidential politics?

Watch Jolie tell CNN's Larry King she doesn't have a favorite candidate yet in the '08 race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Actress and activist Angelina Jolie told CNN she doesn’t know if she will publicly support a 2008 presidential candidate and wonders whether it is a good idea for celebrities to get involved in the White House race.

In an interview that will air this evening on “Larry King Live,” Jolie discussed her relationship with actor Brad Pitt, politics, motherhood, and her new film, “A Mighty Heart”, where Jolie plays Mariane Pearl, wife to the Wall Street Journal writer Danny Pearl who was kidnapped and murdered in 2002 while researching a story on shoe bomber, Richard Reid.

CNN’s Larry King asked the actress whether Jolie has ever supported a candidate.

“No, not publicly. I’ve never been that passionate about anyone,” she said. “I’m trying. I am learning a lot about all the different candidates, Republican and Democrat, and I am trying to see if there is one that I am passionate enough about.”

Jolie then added, rhetorically, “The question is: Does celebrity help? You know. Is it a good thing to get involved or is it more distracting?”

On August 27, 2001, Jolie was named a United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Good Will Ambassador.

Catch Larry King Live Monday-Friday, 9 p.m. ET.

– CNN Senior Producer Alex Wellen

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Derek, Abilene Texas

Didn't think I'd ever hear a celeb say something that intelligent...guess that speaks volumes on what I think of America's upper echelon...actualy, Paris Hilton speaks volumes of America's upper echelon (for said upper echelon...thats means rather poorly) but I digress.

I'd prefer it if celebs stayed the *radio edit* out of the elections. With the kind of money they make and the large number of charities in the world they dont need to clutter the media with they're oppinions on politics to make a difference. Jolie as a good example of that and she is not the only one...google it.

Why should we listen to celebs? If we dont trust politicians or the media then why should we allow Hollywood effect our vote? After all its our vote, and last time I checked a hot enough fire will at least fatigue steel to the point of catostrophic failure if not melt it...and some metals (like magnesium) can actualy catch on fire. However according to some celebs thats all part of a conspiracy.

That was a crack at O'Donnel by the way.

June 14, 2007 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  2. preciousmetal

She's right, celebrities should not try to stimulate votes for a certain candidate. People that look up to that celebrity may vote for someone just because that celebrity said so. Unfortunately many people are swayed by simple things like that, and they cannot think for themselves. Another unfortunate is sometimes "political" celebrities use this to their advantage. My best advice is for people to think for themselves, choose who they think should lead our great country.

June 14, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  3. Mary, New Orleans, LA

As a girls' girl, I have never felt one way or another for Ms. Jolie after her questionable hook-up with Mr. Pitt, but I have to give her credit for understanding where to draw the line with her celebrity. I was waiting for a celebrity to realize that backing a political candidate does not necessarily help. Being from Louisiana but living in L.A. during the last election afforded me the opportunity to see first-hand how out of touch the people there are with the rest of America. The celebrities I know honestly felt that they could sway the vote in their favor. What they did not understand is that while they may be able to sway fashion and other trends, most people draw the line and understand that just because these people are famous does not mean they are even necessarily educated to make decisions for our country. In conclusion, it sounds like Ms. Jolie truly is smart enough to understand that.

June 14, 2007 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  4. Christie, Glidden, Iowa

I applaud Ms. Jolie. I have refused to go to several movies over the past years because the actors have put their political opinions in the national news. I don't give a rat's butt what they think of this or that politician. They need to stick to their trade.

June 15, 2007 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  5. Matt, Austin, Texas

Those theories about the maximum temperature that could be created by a plane-fuel fire not being hot enough to melt the specific, reinforced steel in those towers don't stem from comments made by celebrities; they come from scientists with multiple degrees. I'm not saying I believe those theories, but don't think that they become popular because people in this country mistake celebrities for physicists.

All I have to say is, good for Angelina. If you don't find a candidate you're passionate about, you shouldn't pretend that you have. I know I was never as motivated to become so involved in politics until I found a candidate worth being passionate about.

June 15, 2007 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. DOLLY1424, San Francisco, CA

Angelina is a very special woman, not only as an actress but a sincere human being...she tries in her own quiet way to learn the issues of the world and help in whatever way she can...she does not crave for attention or approval....she spends her money and time and go to dangerous places to witness first hand the poverty in the world and pasionately involve herself, her money, her life...more power to you, Angelina, and God bless your family...

June 15, 2007 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  7. Lee, Birmingham, AL

I can't believe I actually heard an intelligent thought from a celebrity!! Somebody call Rosie quick so she can issue a new unfounded rant about Jolie and how she caused the latest conflict in Gaza!

June 15, 2007 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  8. DAN ANDERSON MOHAVE VALLEY ARIZONA

ANGELINA JOLIE WHY DO ALL NEWS RANT AND RAVE ABOUT HER BEAUTY WHICH I DISAGREE AGE WILLTAKE CARE OF THAT LOOK IN THE MIROR. THESE HOLLYWOOD ELITES ARE SO IN LOVE WITH THEMSELFS IT MAKES ME SICK LOOK AT JULIE ROBBINS OF PRETTY WOMAN WHERE IS SHE NOW

June 15, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  9. Wendy, Goldsboro NC

Thank God a celebrity finally realized they do not belong on TV trying to tell me who to vote for...they are there to entertain the world, not attempt to control it.

I must say, after reading her comments I have more respect for her than before. I have always liked that Ms. Jolie used her fame to draw attention to major world crisis. That is what fame and power should be used for. Get out there and make a difference in the world, not the next election!

June 15, 2007 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  10. Patricia Ogino, North Pole, Alaska

I want to “Thank You Jolie” for putting that comment out there. I believe it would be more distracting. Even though, I am curious, I would not want to see anyone being influenced by their idols in choosing who they vote for.

June 15, 2007 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  11. Richard, Ewing, NJ

I am glad that Angelina Jolie is not going to public endorse a politian. I am also sad that she is doing because she know her endorsement is distracting. The sad truth is that a good portion of Americans listen to celebrities for advised. Otherwise, this is a non-issue.

As for Rosie's conspiracy theory of "never heard of fire can melt steel".... That is just plain stupid. First, fire can melt steel. Second, you do not need to entirely melt steel to collapse a building. The temperature just need to be high enough to weaken the steel so that the weight of the building push itself down. Have you even see movies of ancient blacksmith? Blacksmiths shaped iron weapons by pounding and hammering them on hot fire, the the iron is not "melted". The temperature for soften a iron/steel structure is far lower than the temperature to melt it.

June 15, 2007 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  12. Narcissus, Ypsilanti, Michigan

Angelina: Please, please, please go away!

June 15, 2007 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  13. James Buchanan, Laurel, MD

I applaud Ms. Jolie. I have refused to go to several movies over the past years because the actors have put their political opinions in the national news. I don’t give a rat’s butt what they think of this or that politician. They need to stick to their trade.

Posted By Christie, Glidden, Iowa : June 15, 2007 9:48 am

And what, pray tell, professions should we listen to for political advice? Journalists? Hah, their integrity was compromised the moment they accepted sponsorship money. What "trades" are fit to make comment in this country about the events that move the world.

The correct answer is "all of them".

Remember, they're citizens too. They can voice their opinions just as loudly as the rest of us. They, like anyone else, can spend their time, money and energy on whatever cause suits them. Free speach's only limit is how far you can afford to spread your message.

June 15, 2007 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. felicia

Smart answer by Angie. Celebrities sure can be a distraction sometimes. Politics is such an opinionated field that i truly feel the only person to sway your vote should be the candidate not a celebrity who may have no idea of the economic pain you are going through.My advice to the people is access your life style and detrmine if you need a change

June 15, 2007 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  15. Mike Smith, Louisiana

It is refreshing to see a celebrity discount celebrity status in the political realm. Yes, it is a distraction, and it doesn't necessarily help a candidate.

I have a lot of respect for Jolie striving to live a life different from the typical hollywood star, for her U.N. work, her adoptions, and for putting up with that ugly blonde guy.

June 15, 2007 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  16. Nick, Davenport, IA

Great post James. The other night I saw on Fox News a political disscussion between Bill O'Reilly and Dennis Miller. I thought to myself, "What qualifies these two people over any other celebrity like Jolie"

June 15, 2007 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  17. Fitz,Houston,Tx

should i sign a release before i make a comment ms jolie?

June 15, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  18. Trame, Chicago, IL

She is absolutely right, now I wish our so called “religious leaders” will do the same

June 15, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  19. Hammond, Brunswick, ME

We do not care, okay?

June 15, 2007 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  20. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Informed and independent voters do not care what relatively uninformed and uneducated celebrities think about anything. Neither should anyone else.

June 15, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |