June 16th, 2007

Mitt Romney's wife takes a fall

Ann and Mitt Romney

DUBUQUE, Iowa (CNN)–At an "Ask Mitt anything" event at the Best Western in Dubuque, Iowa on Saturday, Ann Romney fell to the floor as she stepped off a small stage she was sharing with her husband. She recovered quickly, quipping that she was bucked off a horse earlier in the week and that this fall didn't compare to that. The stage was only a few inches high.

She later made light of the tumble, joking to me "I fell on da butt in Dubuque".

The campaign said that she fell because of "stage failure". One of the legs of the riser folded up as she stepped toward the edge.

Ann Romney suffers from multiple sclerosis, which is in remission.

– CNN "American Morning" anchor John Roberts

Filed under: Iowa • Mitt Romney • Race to '08
  1. Kevin, Tucson AZ

I love how you always pick the best pictures of the candidates.

June 16, 2007 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  2. Kevin, Austin, TX

This is not news! Please keep your campaign trail writing to things that matter, not to little mis-steps that happen to every human being at some point.

June 16, 2007 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Patomic Energy, Atlanta Georgia

I just found out that Mitt Romney ate breakfast this morning. He put ketchup on his hash browns.

June 16, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. Phil Kenny, Los Angeles CA

Interesting that a little stumble or trip makes the news! Here's the real news, check out the latest Datamar survey that came out today. Rudy dropped like crazy – McCain is at 4 or 5%. Romney somehow jumped up to something like 35%–in CALIFORNIA!

Other news, google this: UltiMitt

June 16, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. Wolf Ditzier, Manhattan, KS

That is the farthest thing from news I have seen outside the Paris fiasco of recent days. Why do you report when people trip?

June 16, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  6. Nathan, Berkeley, CA

All the news that's fit to print, eh? Obviously this type of blog-type format has a much lower bar with which information is judged worthy of print than would be the case for more traditional formats. Nevertheless, the CNN political ticker does explicitly claim that its content is "the latest political news." Candidates wife slipped, jumped up, wasn't hurt, made a joke, and life goes on. To me, there is no definition of news for which this would make the cut, and I would love to hear from the editors/reporters/bloggers/whatever at CNN a justification as to their own definition of "news" under which this piece counts. This isn't news, it isn't even gossip. About the best I can think is that its simple youtube type voyeurism.

June 16, 2007 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. Adam Gross, Sunnyvale, CA

Wow, this is definitely not news. I feel less intelligent for having read this.

June 16, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  8. Aaron, Salem OR

Speculation as to how the wife of a candidate fell off a stage? Is that really newsworthy? Wow.

June 16, 2007 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  9. Daniel SLC, UT

Maybe God made her fall?

June 16, 2007 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  10. Johnny, Provo, UT

This is worthy of front-page news? Give the poor woman a break.

June 16, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  11. Julie, Ballwin, Mo.

Why is this news worthy? Do we enjoy reading about others travails so much that this would make news? I'm sure this is embarrassing to her, but the fact you post it on CNN headlines only serves to amplify her embarrassment. Stick to reporting real news.

June 16, 2007 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. Steve, Andover, MA

Anyone catch this on video? LOL

June 16, 2007 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  13. S. Richard, Olathe, KS

How exactly is this newsworthy?
    Anyway, I'm awfully fond of Ann Romney and I am glad she's OK.

June 16, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  14. Robert Trebes; Rio Rancho, New Mexico

Why don't we see her fall on her butt over and over, like we did Miss USA? Does her husband's money and power have anything to do with it? The fact that she's all white and Miss USA half black? The desire of the media to make the story of the Miss Universe pageant Rachel Smith's fall rather than the Mexicans' horrendous scapegoating of her throughout the competition for the sins of her elders, and her incredible grace, poise, and courage in response, of which Americans would have been rightfully proud had they been properly informed

June 16, 2007 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. jon

And this is relevant news why?

June 16, 2007 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  16. Marie, Cumberland, MD

Why is someone falling news? I think it's crass to make a news story out of someone falling. What purpose does it serve other than to embarass?

June 16, 2007 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. Heather; Heidelberg, DE

Oh my goodness! Someone fell?! Right on the ground?! Good thing you were there to cover it...

June 16, 2007 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. North Liberty Iowa

I was at the event and was sitting near the front when the platform collapsed under her as she was stepping off it. The platform obviously wasn't set up correctly.

That you would mention Ann Romney's MS is completely inappropriate.

Also, the above story was changed as it origianally said that Ann Romney "misjudged the edge of the platform."

I'm glad they actually got some of the facts straight since then, but still . . . bringing up MS? Poor form.

June 16, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. Janine, MA

First of all, I am glad Mrs. Romney is all right. She's awesome.

Second of all, can all of you little imbeciles just shut up and stop complaining about every article or blog post? If you are so sick of the news industry then go become a reporter or start your own blog and cover the things you want to cover. My God, I can't stand it.

June 16, 2007 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  20. Travis

Robert Trebes, did you actually make this a race issue? You need to look in the mirror and ponder who the moron looking back at you is.

June 18, 2007 04:42 am at 4:42 am |
  21. Lori Stewart, Grants Pass OR

It isn't a race issue. It is curious how a story like this could possibly be manipulated into one. Falling down at Miss Universe while strutting your stuff is of far larger consequence, and you would have to document that if another "white" Miss USA fell at the most inopportune moment, it would not be covered, in order to make a convincing racial accusation out of it. I felt sorry for Rachel, she walked into Mexico City's animosity and she fell, etc. Wasn't her best night. As for letting us all know that Ann fell and reminding us of her MS, I couldn't roll my eyes dramatically or sarcastically enough. I have to agree with the general sentiment that it was in poor taste.

June 18, 2007 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  22. RC, Concord, NH

I am not a Romney supporter, but layoff the spouse!
    We don't need all this Soap Opera stuff. The real facts on the candidates are sufficient.

June 23, 2007 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  23. Melissa

why on earth can't the media mention Ann's MS? Isn't Liz Edward's cancer mentioned? Is it the stigma of MS?? Mitt seems mortified and embarassed by it – he is the jerk. Everything must be perfect for Mitt? It is not. MS must be one of the most horrendous things to suffer with! I would never wish it on my worst enemy!

July 2, 2007 12:48 am at 12:48 am |