Obama was not at home when fire hit
WASHINGTON (CNN) - A Capitol Hill house where Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama rents an apartment caught fire Sunday, but the blaze was extinguished quickly, a fire official said.
Obama, of Illinois, was with his family in Chicago on Sunday, a campaign spokesman said. No one was in the house at the time, no one was hurt and the damage was not extensive, District of Columbia fire Lt. Paul Wood said.
Wood said the fire broke out in the middle of the afternoon. It was contained between the third floor and the roof of the building, in northeast Washington, he said.
Robert Gibbs, a spokesman for the candidate, said the fire was likely started by a malfunctioning fan. He said Obama rents a second-floor apartment in the building.