June 19th, 2007

Bloomberg, Schwarzenegger ponder presidential ticket

Bloomberg and Schwarzenegger joked about forming a presidential ticket Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger grace this week's Time magazine cover, and on Tuesday the two joked about forming a presidential ticket.

"There would be a fight to see who would be the presidential candidate and who would be the vice presidential candidate," Bloomberg said during a joint appearance with Schwarzenegger at a University of Southern California political conference. "He would want to arm wrestle for the top spot; I would want to check the Constitution."

Schwarzenegger, a native of Austria, cannot run for president according to the Constitution. Bloomberg meanwhile has repeatedly denied claims he has any plans to mount a presidential bid in 2008.

But that didn't stop Schwarzenegger from predicting the New York Republican would make "an excellent candidate" because "he's all about fixing problems and creating a great vision for our future."

READ MORE on "Bloomberg and Schwarzenegger: The New Action Heroes"

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Steve Hnetkovsky, Albion Il

After reading the Time piece on Bloomberg and Schwarzenegger I think I might support them for a Presedential bid. I supported Perot, (before he became paranoid) and would dearly love to have men who have vision AND take action to lead us, especially now.

June 19, 2007 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  2. Connie, Louisville, Tn.

They would certainly take the country in a different direction than the current administration. That would be a welcome change.

June 19, 2007 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  3. Diane, Nassau, NY

What does Arnold not understand about not being eligible to run???

June 19, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  4. Ellen, Reston,Va

This is the best news I have had in years. They have my vote and I am sure millions of others will also vote for them. The American people are tired of both of our parties who just fight each other and get nothing done.
    This is great news! I believe our heroes have arrived!!!!!!!

June 19, 2007 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  5. Leo Dupre, Gilbert AZ

I'd definitely vote for them. Can Schwarzenegger be a VEEP. If so it sounds like the best news I've heard in a long time!!!

June 19, 2007 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  6. Ben Hamilon, Ruston, La.

I would consider Mr. Bloomberg for President If I was ceretain he would
    not choose Schwarzenegger as a running mate.

June 19, 2007 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  7. Dr. Jim Conaway

Given the actions (or should I say, inaction) of the previous Republican Congress and the current Democratic Congress, the time is finally hear for a viable third party. With Blumberg in the top seat and Schwarzenegger as his VP, perhaps we still have a chance to rectify the damage done by the Republicans and Democrats over the recent years. Perhaps Unity '08 will consider them as nominees.

June 19, 2007 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  8. Matt, Miami, FL

The article seems to suggest, by omission, that Schwarzenegger could run/be elected/serve as Vice President. If it does assume this, it misses the 22nd Amendment, providing in relevant part: "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States." At least the article got the part about Arnold being constitutionally ineligible to be President right. The 22nd Amendment fills the gap the article leaves.

June 19, 2007 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  9. Anonymous

EDIT: Said 22nd Amendment, meant 12th. 22nd Amendment = presidential term limits. 12th Amendment = no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

June 19, 2007 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  10. Bill W, Coatesville, PA

Schwarznegger is NOT eligible to run for president, and not VP. He was not born in the US. People would be extremely foolishnin this day and age to vote for any change to that law. If we change the rule to let Arnold run, then we have to let the guy from India, the guy from Mexico, the guy from China, or anybody else who wants to run. You can't change it just for Arnold and nobody else – please remember that. Can you imagine another country planting and propping up one of their people to be president of the United States? It could happen if people are dumb enough to let this law be changed.

June 20, 2007 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  11. Jack Guthier

are you kidding me, these two are some of the most neo con anti american people in our country and you would chose them to run our country.
    give me a break.