June 19th, 2007

Clinton family takes on Sopranos in announcing campaign song

Watch the Clintons parody the Sopranos' final scene.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - It's not everyday the Clintons would want to be compared to the Sopranos.

But in a gimmick intended to drum up buzz for her campaign's new theme song, Democratic White House hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton, and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, star in a new video that parodies the HBO mob show's famously (or infamously) ambiguous final episode. (Watch video: CNN Internet Correspondent Abbi Tatton reports on the new Web video)

In the Web video, Bill and Hillary Clinton are seated in a busy diner as Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” plays in the background. The couple flips through the diner jukebox, looking over the nominees for the campaign song. The actor Vincent Curatola, who played Johnny "Sack" Sacramoni in the HBO series, makes a cameo appearance, walking by the table and suspiciously eyeing Hillary. Like Meadow Soprano in the final episode, Chelsea Clinton – not seen – is supposedly outside the diner parallel parking.

As Hillary decides on a song, Bill muses: “My money’s on Smashmouth.”

The video also pokes fun at Bill Clinton’s long-publicized struggle with weight. Hillary orders a basket of carrot sticks for the table, to which Bill responds, “No onion rings?”

The anticipation builds to when Hillary is about to announce the song contest winner, then the video abruptly cuts to black.

The video then instructs viewers to go to another page on the New York Democrat's Web site to learn what song was chosen – Celine Dion's “You and I”

The campaign says over 200,000 people voted in the contest since it launched in mid-May, and 25,000 wrote in their own suggestions.

Clinton will likely be the first and only candidate to share a theme song with Air Canada, which once used the upbeat tune in a television ad campaign.

The announcement is accompanied by a big red “Contribute” button on Hillary’s web site, urging supporters to donate “before the upcoming FEC deadline.”

– CNN Associate Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. John, Baton Rouge, LA

The winning song is "Lunatic Fringe" by Red Rider.

June 19, 2007 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  2. Tricia M Charlottetown, PEI Candaa

Yea, Celine Dion is Canadian! But as another poster commented now lives in Las Vegas, Making Lots of Money for Americans! She's a very Talented Artist and Very Compassionate Humanitarian. Celine donated a large sum to the Katrina Disaster and gave an interview to CNN teary eyed about the Katrina Victims still on their roofs for three days! Yeah she's Canadian, and it shows!

Our Military in Afghanistan are Canadians too! They are there fighting George W. Bush's War. Sadly many of our heroes have died along with many Americans, British, et al. We at home have endured Tax Increases, are putting up with less than adequate Health Care,et al to pay for George W. Bush's needless War.

In Gratitude he refuses our lumber, potatoes, and pork. Slaps our markets with weighty tariffs, forgets the name of our Prime Minister, and in general fashion Snubs us.

Yeah, Celine and I are both Canadians, who are like all Canadians, proud of our Nation and quick to come to the aid of other Nations, or foreign citizens in need.

I say Hillary could have done much worse as far as a Campaign Theme Song.
    Congrats to the Contestants! I don't hear Celine complaining about her talent being used by an American. Then many Canadians are Pro Hillary, myself just one of the many. I'm sure no Canadian will mind Hillary using Canadian Talent to boost her Campaign. After having to suffer the effects of Bush's Reign, I'm sure every Canadian would jump at the chance.

All Anti Canadian comments welcome at Canadiansforpeace.com

June 20, 2007 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  3. Bill, Reston, VA

I just wanted to add something to my earlier comment. We need to turn the page and end the potential dynasty the Bush/Clintons have had for 20 years.

Obama '08!!!!

June 20, 2007 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  4. Pat M Chtown PEI Canada

t Banks Stillwater, Okla
    "Bill Clinton made a mockery of America when he was in office, Hillary showed she didn’t care about morality"

If anyone has made a mockery of America in my mind, it is none other than George W. Bush! He has been known as "Mr. Shrub" since his days as Govenor of Texas when Texas Death Row statistics were highter than those of any other country in the World!

And on the subject of morality – I guess it's immoral to have the courage and strength to stay in a marriage and take the high road but morally sound to initiate a war on a false premise sadly resulting in millions of innocent civilians being killed for reasons beyond their control or understanding! Not to mentions the thousands of military heroes who will never come home!

Pleaseeeeeeeee give me a break.

June 20, 2007 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  5. Brian, Central California

Hillary is what America Needs! I have traveled to many countries and I can not tell you how many times I have heard bad things about Bush and great things about the Clintons.

Hillary is reaching out to the internet crowd – a lot of whom will be voting for the first time. She is a very smart lady and she knows how to campaign. Everyone else may as well step down – We have us another Clinton for 8 more years – THANK GOD!

Love you Hillary!

June 20, 2007 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  6. Tom W, Dedham, Mass

Ahh, the 90's, that was when the birds were singing and the world loved us so much and the interns and others were gaga all over over our President, while the "smart" and strong(?) first lady said nothing. One indescretion you can possibly tolerate, but repeated flings?

That is not a powerful woman, that is a power hungry woman.

I would have so much respect for her if in front of congress she rightfully flipped him off and said "I want a divorce".

June 20, 2007 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  7. Mike, Gastonia NC

Several years ago, my Mom told me that she would leave the country if Hillary was ever elected President. She passed last year so she will not have to leave but a son should always listen to his Mom!

June 20, 2007 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  8. Bill W, Coatesville, PA

I'd go with "Evil Woman" by ELO

June 20, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  9. Debra Bradenton Florida

To jim conley, chatsworth Ca

In answer to your question, 581 days.

Debra

June 20, 2007 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. K. Springer, NY, NY

I watched the video several times and have yet to find a scene where I both Bill and Hillary are present. They appear to be in several scenes together but it looks like some clever editing to me.

June 20, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  11. Debra Bradenton Florida

"You and I" composers – Aldo Nova and Jacques Duval

June 20, 2007 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  12. Nick, Iowa City Iowa

Its amazing that so many people judge candidates based on things like this. Everyone I've ever met who voted for GW Bush say they did so because he was cool, or funny, or a regular guy, or tough. What??? This got us where?

And even after moving to put the first constitutional changes into effect which LIMIT rather than EXPAND citizens' rights (minus Prohibition)...even after appointing cronies that lie and scheme like Cheney and Rove, who hire/fire on ideology (and again, lie) like Gonzales, who don't 'waste' time planning, or becoming informed, or using common sense like Rumsfeld, or can't respond to Katrina because they were an underexperienced old-boy network appointed FEMA director like 'Brownie'....even after creating this lie that people still believe that Iraq helped al-Qaeda in order to get us into-Iraq...even after we've bullied every country that wanted to help after 9/11 into saying 'forget you America'....even after we've created a War Czar to manage America's war(a freaking War Czar, talk about wrong direction America!?!)...even after the gov't was caught altering scientists' reports on global warming to deny its existence...even after circumventing congress to try and torture captives and spy on Americas...after calling the Constitution of the US 'quaint'...

You want to bash someone's commercial, choice of song, and the singer's nationality?!? I would expect this on Fox'News'...but CNN?

Unfortunately we – collectively – reap what we sow.

How about going to the candidates' websites and spending a precious hour of your time deciding who might be the best person to lead your country for the next FOUR YEARS?

June 20, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  13. David, Dallas TX

Bruce in Franklin, TN wrote: Most people have already made up their mind about Hillary one way or the other. She’s been front and center in the public eye for almost 20 years.

I would agree that most Republicans have made up their mind about her. For example, I think if the Clinton's donated all their personal assets to charity, people like Joe in Midlothian and t Banks in Stillwater would denigrate it as an attempt to turn money into votes.

Hillary's numbers and Obama's shift around from one week to the next among likely Democratic voters. I agree with what you said–this was an effort to solve the likeability problem. Unlike you, I think she has a real chance of winning the presidency, and I think this video helped.

June 20, 2007 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. Steve Morrison, Ottawa ON Canada

The entire concept is wrong on so many levels. A Dion song, a copied video idea, and the making of a campaign song selection look like a big thing. It reflects all the negative image and flaws that the rest of the world sees in the American democratic process. The greatest of all being flash over substance. What does she stand for? Where does she want to lead America and the world? It also reflects the demise of a meaningful political process into catering to a pop culture instant media machine and being more worried about the images than the ideas.

June 20, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  15. Eric - Portland, Oregon

Republicans: go away.

June 20, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Great! Clever! An add like this continues to pull me toward a 'HILLARY VOTE'. Keep up the witty, positive direction.

June 20, 2007 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. Dwayne Landry, Los Angeles CA

I loved this and the fact that she can take care of business and have time to be human. Who the hell wants a mindless thoughtless robot in office...oh that would be everyone that voted for George W. GO HILLARY. You have my support, money and confidence.

June 20, 2007 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  18. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Hillary Clinton, you are the best, you are the next President of USA. We love you and we vote you. Don't listen junk people's trash. You have the complete qualification, Americans know it.
    Just marching forward with your husband together, we welcome you any day and any time until you move in to the White House.

June 23, 2007 03:16 am at 3:16 am |