June 19th, 2007

Giuliani: The more the merrier

Giuliani campaigned in Texas Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said at a press conference Tuesday in Houston that he would welcome former Sen. Fred Thompson and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich to the GOP presidential race.

"I think they should all join, be part of it," Giuliani said. "From my point of view, I'm not running against anybody in particular. I'm running to convince the Republican Party and the American people that I should be the next president."

Giuliani, while acknowledging certain differences with social conservatives, said that he thinks he has "a very good chance of winning the Republican nomination." He called himself the "strongest fiscal conservative" in the race and said his views on the war on terror and the economy will help him appeal to most Republicans.

– CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Fred Thompson • Newt Gingrich • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Bob, Houston TX

I think this picture captures Giuliani at his best...

June 19, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  2. Joe, Bronxville, NY

uh, I'm a democrat and even I think this picture is a little unfair. still, if it convinces a few more people that Giuliani is the spawn of Satan, it can't be all bad.

June 19, 2007 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  3. Dan (Baltimore, MD)

I love comments like the above. It shows how strong Rudy is when people put forward their best attack and can't even muster anything more than making fun of a candid-shot photograph. It goes to show how impervious Rudy Giuliani is to attacks of substance. Let's put Rudy in the White House!

June 20, 2007 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  4. Michael, East St. Louis, IL

Why don't we start talking about Rudy before 9/11? Discuss what type of Mayor he really was, and maybe get some real research on his potential mob ties. It seems that we don't want to talk outside his halo.

June 20, 2007 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  5. Robert Cadalso, NYC, NY

Giuliani sure looks like a lunatic. He has a very strange look in his eyes.
    This guy looks like trouble.

June 20, 2007 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  6. Rick Kansas City, MO

How is Rudy the strongest fiscal conservative? That sounds like an outright lie to me.

June 20, 2007 09:50 am at 9:50 am |