June 22nd, 2007

Reid has a place for Bush's veto stamp

Reid had some tough talk for the White House Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is known for his tough and sometimes controversial talk toward the Bush Administration, and on Friday the Nevada Democrat offered a newly biting comment in response to the White House’s veto threat of the Senate’s energy bill.

"They can take their rubber stamp and you know what they can do with it," Reid said Friday. "We're going to continue to do what we think is right for the American people."

The Senate passed the bill Thursday night in a 65-27 vote that aims to raise gas mileage standards for cars and trucks for the first time in 20 years. The bill passed after Republicans successfully blocked an effort to impose $30 billion in new taxes on oil companies.

The House is set to take up its own energy package next month.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. R. Foster Las Vegas, NV

Yes, "scary" Reid says they are going to do what they think is right for the American people. I wonder, does that include claiming transparency when there is nothing but murky "stuff"? He talks a good game about cleaning up our Congress; passing an energy bill that is meaningful; increasing gas mileage (politicians have talked about this for as long as I can remember and still NOTHING meaningful ever gets done to develop alternate energy sources). When gas prices go up they start talking (and it is nothing but talk)and then after awhile the interest fades away....and we are back to square one.

The democrats (I am one) rode into office proclaiming they were going to make the government "transparent". They would make sure the American people knew what they are doing. They are no different than the other party. I am ashamed to be a Democrat and will be switching my party affiliation to Independent because then I can hold my head high. And, that is a big step for me because I have been always been a Democrat except for about one year that I was a Republican. Not anymore, thanks to the scoundrels we have elected.They are ALL self serving and disingenuous. It makes me want to throw up.

June 22, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. Carol-Brooklet,GA

The all too easily understood insinuation by Harry Reid concerning the President's veto stamp is another example of his coarse, alley-type attitude, which I find unbecoming of anyone holding an elective office of our government. By now I should be used to it. He doesn't seem to be able to open his mouth without demonstating he is a first class politician. That is not meant as a compliment. For once, I would like to see true statesmanship in our government, working together in a bi-partisan effort to do the work of the people. His conduct undermines any possibilty of that happening.

June 22, 2007 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  3. Bob Smith Port Angeles, Washington

I am starting to wonder if there isn't something seriously wrong with dirty harry. He seems to be anti american and has un unfounded hatred for President Bush.

June 22, 2007 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  4. Francesco Calco --Olmsted Falls, Ohio 44138

If Harry Reid was a middle class dude and lived in aworking man's neighborhood, his kind of attidude and "up yours" rebuttles would keep him a few steps ahead of the local dogooders; however, in his present situation- he is messing with the citizen people and their families that for over 200 years fought to keep our America safe from ilegal foriegn intruders: unless they had proper right of passage. Now, this Harry Reid– full of his own "tough and controversial"-old man 'Ego' crap-in his stance to just toss our nation into the hands of 12-15 million "ilegal imigrants"–at the stroke of a pen !–thinks that this will be a profound and grand enlightmet for the United States- that will forever put him in the history of belevolence for all people-to blind in twisted mind to see that some
    280- million American Citizens are at the point of civil rebellion at this government–should that knife in our back–come to pass. You, Mr. Harry Reid, and your fellow dececivers are selling out the only real freedom ever achieved in the world.

June 22, 2007 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  5. Paul N. Saddle River, New Jersey

Good for Harry Reid. The President has said that America is addicted to oil and now he is threatening to veto a bill that will reduce America's dependence on foreign oil and help to secure energy for our future and truly help our national security. The president should keep his word and sign in to law a bill which half of the senate republican caucus supported, doesn't even contain new taxes on oil companies, and has the support of the American people. If their is anything wrong with this bill, it is that it doesn't go far enough. Blocking this bill will enable other countries to continue to hijack our foreign policy and national security. A veto would not be good for our country.

June 22, 2007 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  6. Will - Miami, FL

Wow. He still hasn't realized that the democrats were not elected to take over the office of the President.

You need to realize that you are not able to control the President Mr. Reid. Get over it and try to actually HELP America for a change instead of trying to defy the President and the other party.

PS. Tell Mrs. Pelosi the same thing...

June 22, 2007 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  7. erika morgan black dimond wa

Harry is Pelosy's pit bull doing his stuff, playing his part. He is supposed to play up to the left so folks like me think we are being represented, I just wish we'd have folks in Washington who understood the gravity of this wrong road we are on by all politicians, and who would stand up for what is right for a change. PS the heightened standards are the only thing that is correct for our environment, we've got to stop pooping on our own and neighbors door steps we can do better!

June 22, 2007 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  8. Rose Cicero: Windsor, Ct

Give the Dems. credit for a veto proof bill. A Razor thin Democrat's majority leaves the Republicans the power they need to stay in Big Oil's pockets. Reid's got the right place; but it will have to go there after my foot!

June 23, 2007 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  9. Anonymous

Oh I cant' wait to hear all you Republicans have to say about YOUR energy bill:

Drill oil along our coasts leaking oil all over our beaches, spoil Alaska's pristine environment, build toxic nuke plants that leak, more preferencial treatment and subsidies for the oil robber barons, and keep our troops in Iraq to protect our imports until 2050.

June 23, 2007 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  10. Anonymous

for alexander
    I met your dad in Wakefield RI while he was in a dealership today. and he proudly showed me this article he is very proud of you!
    May I add he is a very nice gentlmen himself it was my pleasure to read the article and meet your dad.
    Jeanne (speedcraft)

June 23, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. RETIRED NAVY, KY

Why dose the democrate party put such arrogant people in charge. This man has done more to damage morale in the military and those who are tring to protect the USA. When will the party of Jhon Kennedy stand for whats right in stead of whats politiclly correct. I do not support the Bush in all things, But REEDs comments are immature at best.

June 23, 2007 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  12. Ann Brunswick ME

Ried is out of control; he's like a rabid animal, foaming at the mouth with foul speech. He should be put out of the government body.

June 23, 2007 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  13. Tricia M Chtown PEI Candaa

I feel the Dems are doing a great job and just wish it was 2008 so they could take full charge!

Harry Reid speaks the truth and with both Conviction and Diction. Two more talents Bush Unfortunately lacks!

Bush has done nothing for the past year only VETO. Truly Shows his little boy attitude.

I don't know anyone could have done more damage to the Military morale or America than George Dubya! And the only ones trying to protect the USA are the Dems!

What's right in my moral view is for all countries INCLUDING CANADA to Pull their Troops out this hopeless, unnecessary from day one CIVIL WAR and let them go home to their families and let Iraq get on with the important business of cleaning up and stablilizing THEIR nation.

Common Sense and Sight tells me the US in Iraq is causing more destabilization. And that Peace will never be attained while US and Nato troops are there.

June 24, 2007 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  14. Fabio Escobar, Amherst NY

There's nothing newsworthy here. It's just rhetoric. Cable news networks have allowed their staffs to be hijacked by any political machine with the wherewithal to issue a statement, any statement, even if said statement doesn't say anything substantive. CNN should exercise some courage and simply say "No" to these idiotic stories.

June 24, 2007 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |