June 24th, 2007

Hutchison: Stem cell research "right thing to do"

WASHINGTON (CNN)–Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R – Texas, disagrees with the President’s veto on federal funding for stem cell research. On CNN’s Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer, Sen. Hutchison said, “I think to take the embryos with very strict requirements for making sure that you can't create one to destroy it, to take those and put them into research that has so many possibilities to cure diseases is the right thing to do.”

Sen. Ron Wyden, D – Oregon, agreed, saying “I think the president made a huge mistake. It's going to mean a lot of our best scientists go overseas, and particularly it's going to deny hope to those who are suffering, those with Parkinson's, Alzheimer's. That's wrong.”

–CNN Associate Producer Jennifer Burch

Filed under: Senate
  1. Rich Quigley, Huntley, IL

The veto of the embryonic stem cell research bill was a huge mistake, setting the U. S. back in scientific advancement. Each day, fertility clinics destroy embryos that could be used for medical research. Bush is either woefully ignorant or just pandering to the conservatives. Meanwhile, due to his stubborn resistance to change, millions of people with debilitating diseases will have less hope of a cure. I sincerely hope that we get a more enlightened president in 2008.

June 24, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. Chris R

Bush is so wrong about this. Those embryos are going to the dump every day! Where is the conservative uproar of those tiny, microscopic babies?! Nowhere, because the public would not stand for only allowing fertility clinics to create only as many as are implanted. The conservaties know they would be ousted in one second if fertility clinics were shut down or restricted to only freezing 2 or three embryos at a time.
    As for his nonsense of the public should not have to fund the destruction of potential humans then maybe I should not have to help fund the destruction of 18 year olds in Iraq!
    I have a child whose future depends on the this avenue of reserch.

June 24, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  3. Elaine Suhre

I can't believe it. One thing I agree on with Bush. I don't know his intentions, but I know mine. To preserve life of any kind. Death is final, no matter at what stage of development it occurs.

I don't understand the need to use Embryonic stem cells when Science makes new discoveries every minute/hour showing that stem cells from other organs can be coaxed into acting like Embryonic stem cells. The answer for and use of these hypotheses may be in the future, but we have waited very long to find some of the scientific answers/ideas we now have. We as a people need to become a bit more aware there are other things besides us as humans that are important and practice some humble, delayed gratification, instead of the immediate gratification we are conditioned to expect. We all want it NOW, but at what price to our integrety?

June 24, 2007 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  4. Steve, Fairmont WV

This is what we get for electing a president with a C+ average...

June 24, 2007 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  5. John Montgomery, St. Petersburg, Florida

I think that anyone who opposses the use of usimg stem cells for research, that, if a cure is found for any disease through this research, that they sign a waiver to never use the cure, on moral grounds, for their own personal use, or any of their relatives or friends, if and whenever a cure is found. Let's see how many of these high and righteous individual(s) would sign this waiver.

June 25, 2007 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  6. Molly R, Springfield Missouri

No human suffering is as important to this president as placating his extreme right-wing base. We "elected" him,(or allowed him to remain in office despite everything...) so I guess we deserve him.

June 25, 2007 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  7. Lee, Dallas, Texas

To Elaine Shure....
    Where was Bush's intense feelings for the sancity of life when he lead Texas to be the state to execute the most people? His feelings on embroynic stem cells are strictly political expediency. The man has now beliefs of his own.

June 25, 2007 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. JC,Michigan

It is nice to "preserve" life but these embryos will be discarded. Perhaps the "gratification" refered to should be applied to banning IVF.

The Senator is right on this issue.

June 25, 2007 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  9. Adam H., Oklahoma City OK

I think embryos should be used to their fullest. Reason and common sense demands it to be so. However on a question of morals, I don't believe we should "grow" embryos for this purpose. Let people voluntarily give embryos for science.

Also, you know why our government allows 18 year olds to join the service? Because people that young are more readily blinded by ambition and more easily manipulated. Get 'em while they're young! That's the true American motto. I've had military personnell lie to my face in my own home in front of my family. Just so the recruiter could meet his quota. In case you are wondering, at the age of 18 I asked him if the Reserves are sent out first because this was at the start of the Iraqi War. He said no they are rarely sent out ever. The very next day 2,000 Reserve were sent to Iraq to fight and die for an unclear reason. War on Terrorism... hah thats laughable. NEWS FLASH: There will always be terrorism. Our government does it too. We pull pages from someone elses book though a man named Hitler.

June 25, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  10. Joel Noblett, Atascadero, California

We students of science understand bioethics and the morality that our society faces in everyday decisions. President Bush whom I had personally voted for has lost perspective on the American public and their needs. Yes their are other alternatives out their too but not supporting our research in science will leave America traveling behind the other countries. We must understand to hesitate or stop the race to keep ahead only allows the opportunity for other nations to become the new leaders in research while we argue with our own elected representatives about what we need as a country for the benefit of all in that pursuit of happiness not misery.

July 18, 2007 02:55 am at 2:55 am |