June 25th, 2007

McCain calls Supreme Court ruling 'regrettable'

McCain said Monday he finds the Supreme Court decision on a McCain-Feingold provision "regrettable."

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, expressed disappointment Monday over a Supreme Court ruling that stuck down a key provision in the McCain-Feingold campaign finance law.

McCain's statement, issued by his presidential campaign, came shortly after his GOP presidential rival Mitt Romney applauded the ruling.

"While I respect their decision in this matter, it is regrettable that a split Supreme Court has carved out a narrow exception by which some corporate and labor expenditures can be used to target a federal candidate in the days and weeks before an election," McCain said.

"It is important to recognize, however, that the Court's decision does not affect the principal provision of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, which bans federal officeholders from soliciting soft money contributions for their parties to spend on their campaigns," he added. "I am grateful to the Bush Administration and all those lawmakers, both past and present, who have joined us in our efforts to put an end to the corruption bred by soft money. Fortunately, that central reform still stands as the law."

In a 5-4 decision on Monday, the court’s majority concluded that the specific guidelines of the bill relating to issue ads — aired mainly on television — were overly restrictive. Under McCain-Feingold, such ads can be banned 60 days before a general election, and 30 days before a primary.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: John McCain • Mitt Romney
  1. c

as usual. mitt is right on with policy, mccain is not.

but mccain is a maverick!!!! We love him for it. He is principled!

so what, he is wrong and stubborn.

June 25, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  2. Greg , ashburn VA

can we offically say yet mccain 2008 is done , toast go home ect. yet? Is'nt his campaign having problems raising campaign money for 08 run?

June 25, 2007 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. Tom - Dedham, Mass

I agree, Romney is what is right about my party, the whole package. Being from Mass. I have a real knowledge of the guys smarts and he is top notch.

He tried to do so much in this one party state, but the politics as usual fought him every step of the way.

The Presidential election is easy compared to fighting Speaker DiMasi, the legislature, the House, our beloved Senators, biased Boston globe and the other losers that masquerade as "leaders" in this state.

Mitt 2008

June 25, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. JC,Michigan

Unfortunately, we have too many ill informed voters who get information from political ads. I do not pay attention to them because they treat the truth as playdo to be molded to their whims.
    I still enjoy TV except for during campaign season.
    I had no problem with McCain-Feingold. Someone called McCain a maverick but he wears the Bush brand. As for Romney there is no way I would ever vote for him unless Mattel wants him to replace Ken.

June 25, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  5. Will - Miami, FL

Freedom people. FREEDOM! We do NOT need laws that restrict ANYTHING about campaigning. If people are swayed by political adds, that's called freedom. If people don't try to learn the truth about a politician, that's called freedom. Even if morons vote for creeps, it's FREEDOM. We cannot allow the state to control information and choose what information should be allowed.

McCain is a moron (as demonstrated by the immigration bill and the campaign finance bill) and I am glad that his supporters are finally aware of it. I honor and respect McCain the military hero but I loath and detest McCain the politician.

June 25, 2007 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  6. cliff, honolulu hi

I feel sorry for McCain. He's stuck between wanting to do whats right and wanting to be president. The conservatives call him a traitor and the liberals are afraid of what he will do in office. I don't think that he will ever be able to overcome these stumbling blocks.

June 25, 2007 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  7. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

I think McCain meant well, and his bill actually makes some sense. Unfortunately the liberal media is all most people would have for fact-checking after the vacuum created by the ad ban and that would be out of balance too.

June 26, 2007 09:08 am at 9:08 am |