June 27th, 2007

Clinton helps launch new think tank

WASHINGTON (CNN) – New York Senator and presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton stressed the need to rebuild alliances abroad and bring troops home from Iraq in a speech on Wednesday at the official launch of a new think tank, the Center for a New American Security.

"Every challenge we face begins with the biggest challenge," Clinton said. "Restoring our leadership by once again valuing alliances, respecting our values and understanding that American strength is more than just the show of force."

Clinton, who was introduced by former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, criticized the Bush administration for keeping open the terrorist detention center at Guantanamo Bay, saying that it "weakens" America's moral standing in the world and harms national security.

The Center for a New American Security, which is located in Washington, will be dedicated to "advancing a strong, centrist national security strategy."

– CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Kathryn - Metairie, LA

When Hillary is elected President of the United States in 2008, the troops WILL COME HOME - FOR GOOD, and OUT OF HARM'S WAY; that is, if there are any troops left, thanks George Bush, the idiot that he is.

June 27, 2007 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. Nothanks

The Center for a New American Security, which is located in Washington, will be dedicated to “advancing a strong, centrist national security strategy.”

A centrist strategy from Hillazilla.., What a joke!

June 27, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. Providence, RI

I am with Kathryn. When Hillary is elected President in 2008, America's poor image to the world will be restored...

June 27, 2007 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  4. Nothanks

Europe loved Bill because he made us look like fools. Hillazilla will do the same..

June 27, 2007 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  5. Rolf S., New York, NY

That think tank's name has a familiar ring to it. Sounds like PNAC. The Project for a New American Century.

Probably another bunch of neoconservatives.

June 27, 2007 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  6. Sheila Howison Dallas, Tx.

Dear Senator Clinton,
    I'm what my Mother would call a "yellow dog Democrat". She was a Mayor and a Judge in a small redneck town of 1400 people, and dealt with ignorant people. I'm very disturbed in the direction my party is headed. You appear to be supporting this Immigration bill wanted by Kennedy, Reid, and this President. WHY! Dear God Senator Clinton with all due respect "We the People" are fed up with this warped and dishonest administration. Where is our Kenneth Star? Please I implore you to stop this madness, or I really believe this Nation will be doomed. Thank you for the many things you have done for this Nation and the World. You will have my Vote, and I would be proud to campaign for you.

Sincerely,
    Sheila Howison in Texas

June 27, 2007 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  7. Corey Gardner, Houston, TX

Senator Clinton, I have the upmost respect for all that you do with respect to trying to find viable solutions to the world's and this country's hugest challenges. You are definitely the best qualified to assume the Presidency, bar none, yet I know that it will be an uphill battle for you. When you receive the party's nomination, I will be there to offer my support.

June 27, 2007 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  8. Emily, Vancouver, Canada

'Terrorist Detention Center?' This is how the mainstream media gets a bad name for the increasingly disillusioned American people who feel that right wing bias is the norm here. Whether these people are terrorists or not is not known; given due process, surely a basic human right, and what used to be an American one, we might find out. Terrorist SUSPECTS is what Guantanamo holds. Many of them have been tortured past the point of sanity so we may never know. Is this really what America wants to be represented by? Is our media sloppy, or biased? On the strength of this kind of description, I fear the latter. I would love you to (Please!) prove me wrong.

An American in Canada

June 28, 2007 03:46 am at 3:46 am |
  9. Mike, Corpus Christi, Texas

Anything that Sen. Clinton does will be by far, much better than anything that was accomplished by the bush administration. Come to think of it, I have a hard time coming up with any GOP accomplishments in the last seven years! Duh!!.....

June 28, 2007 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  10. Bill W, Coatesville PA

"Anything that Sen. Clinton does will be by far, much better than anything that was accomplished by the bush administration"

Really? Remember that alot of people voted for George W. Bush because they were outraged and sick of Bill Clinton, and thought that "Anything that Bush does will be by far, much better than anything that was accomplished by the Clinton administration."

Having a bad president in office is no reason to vote for another bad candidate. And Hillary Clinton is a problem waiting to happen. You think the Muslim world hates us NOW???

Watch what you wish for, because you might just get it.

June 28, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Must be another pro-Clinton thread, Any negative comments are deleted.

June 28, 2007 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  12. Mike, Corpus Christi, Texas

Thank you Bill, because I do wish it!! People need to get over what happened in the past with the 'monica affair.' By sending US troops into Iraq, instead of staying the course in Afghanistan to defeat Al Qaeda and the Taliban, was the ultimate sin, and far worse than anything that happened under Bill Clinton.

June 28, 2007 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  13. Mike, Corpus Christi Texas

No, I don't think this is a pro-Clinton thread. I posted a reply back to Bill, and it was deleted. I said nothing derogatory in my remarks. It makes me wonder how sensitive the censors are here on CNN??

June 28, 2007 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |