July 2nd, 2007

A Harkin to endorse Clinton

Ruth Harkin, right, with Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin.

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) - Ruth Harkin, the wife of Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin, will back Sen. Hillary Clinton in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, a well placed source tells CNN.

This is a major endorsement for Clinton, who only weeks ago had come under fire from some Iowa Democrats after one of her senior campaign staffers suggested the New York senator should skip Iowa and invest time and money in other early voting states. Clinton disavowed the advice laid out in a memo leaked to the news media and is campaigning in the Hawkeye State this week with her husband, former President Bill Clinton.

"This is personal for her," said the source of Ruth Harkin's decision to endorse Clinton. The source added that Ruth Harkin is feeling very strongly about the New York Democrat's candidacy.

Harkin's husband will stay neutral in the race, added the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Ruth Harkin served President Clinton's administration as president of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation. She was the first woman elected to the position of county attorney in Iowa, when she took office in 1972 in Story County.

– CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Dear Mrs. Ruth Harkins;
    You did right thing with a great decision, you will be proud of yourself and for our Country. I am sure your husband will support Hillary Clinton soon. Nice people love Hillary very much, I respect your endorsement and God will bless you.

July 2, 2007 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  2. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Insignificant news.

July 2, 2007 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  3. BilL W, Coatesville, PA

Let's see – a senator's WIFE, not the senator himself – endorses Clinton. And this is "a major endorsement for Clinton"?

What am I missing?

The senators wife must not care if the same 2 familes rule the white house for 24 years.

July 2, 2007 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  4. cclerke Peachtree City, GA

George Bush is not the only one to claim the punishment didn't fit the crime.
    Bush and the infamous heiress share a common disrespect of justice.
    In Bush and Cheney's administration, compromising an intlligence agent does NOT deserve ANY time in the slammer.

July 2, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  5. Stony Maloney

She is beastly looking.

Should have waited until next year before this endorsement.

Obama is going to take over The Skirt.

July 2, 2007 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  6. Howard Luttrell, Owensboro, KY 42301

If only the election were today!! As with Ruth Harkin, I too support Hillary and have proudly had a "Hillary for President '08" bumper sticker on my car for several months now.

July 2, 2007 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  7. Janice Coffman Maumee OH

Mr Bush it will be a relief
    when you leave office. You don't listen to the American people. Your actions show how unworthy you are to be President.

July 3, 2007 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  8. Alan Herman Pompano Beach, FLA

I am glad to see that Tom withheld endorsement. I feel it is too early to endorse and that Obama is a better choice, however, I am still withholding.
    I love Tom Harkin and only wish HE would run. I worked on his campaigns before and clearly see him as the truest of all politicians and hold the upmost respect. I am backing Obama because he seems to hld the same values of Tom. Ruth is a great woman who I hold dear respect, but I do not look at her endorsement with Ms. Clinton as being anti-Barack, but only a strong vote for a strong woman.
    I only pray that we all have a good selection of both Republican and Democratic candidates this next election. Having a choice makes a difference. On the Demo side I hope it is either Obama-Clinton or Clinton-Obama and we can bury our way too you ng society (America) behind us and move onto electing people rather than race, gender or religion.
    Let the best candidate win regardless of all of the above.
    Warmest Regards and Remember to Vote!
    Alan Herman
    Pompano Beach, Florida

July 3, 2007 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  9. Pfc Marjus Andreason, Ft. Richardson Alaska

Fine if Mrs. Harkin wants to select an early candidate, but I think the senator has learned his lesson.

First of all, jumping in to support a candidate who will absolutely CANNOT win the General election (Hillary) is not cool.

But when I remember the shocked look on Senator Harkin's face as he watched in disbelief at the "Dean Scream", I can see why he has decided to hold off this time until our nominee is set in stone.

Look at the blogs, the forums, the progressive sites - they are all indicating the same thing; NO on Hillary Clinton (sorry mainstream media!)

I believe those meetings that General Wes Clark has been having with Senator Obama may be beneficial.

What a ticket – Obama/Clark

Thanks for holding off this time Senator!

July 3, 2007 05:07 am at 5:07 am |
  10. DR from GB, Wi.

Show me an endorsement from a NON- Fmr. Clinton Administration CRONIE and then I will be impressed. These endorsemnts are a joke. They had signifigance in the past, but now, they seem to be "purchased" like Vilsack and the two South Carolina State Sens., or they are from peolpe who are convinced the OWE the Clintons (Members of the CBC) Show me a REAL heartfelt endorsement for Hillary Clinton who actually wants to endorse her as opposed to having this strage look on their face as if they are being blackmailed. ROFLMAO!

July 3, 2007 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  11. John, Washington, DC

Breaking News: Howard Dean's Uncle has endorsed Obama. Huge News!!!!

July 3, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  12. Matt Houston, Texas

How is this big news?

She worked in the Clinton Administration. Who do you think she is going to support?

This is just another example of what Bill and not Hillary is doing. This is more support courtesy of her husband...Eventually she will have to run on her own ideas and thats when she will fall flat on her face. She wont be able to handle Obama.

July 3, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |