July 2nd, 2007

Protest marks anniversary of 'Bring 'em on'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Protesters Monday marked the fourth anniversary of President Bush's "Bring 'em on" dare to insurgents in Iraq by marching outside the White House chanting, "Keep 'em safe, bring 'em home."

The protest is part of a campaign called Americans Against Escalation in Iraq.

"It's a call for Americans and lawmakers to break from the president and to end the Iraq war responsibly," program organizer Tom Matzzie said.

One protester, Sgt. John Bruhns of Philadelphia, said he was stationed in Baghdad during the initial U.S. invasion four years ago, and was horrified by Bush's statement. "I was scared for my life. And the fact that the commander in chief personally invited the enemy to attack us is unacceptable."

Although the president has said he regrets saying "Bring 'em on," Matzzie said he now wants Bush to claim responsibility not just for the "reckless statement, but for the reckless war policy, too."

More than 3,500 American troops have died since the start of the Iraqi War.

– CNN's Karen Hopkins

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. ReadBtwthlins

Tom Matzzie is the Washington Director of MoveOn.org. He advocates on issues including Social Security, the Courts, the Environment, budget and tax issues, the war in Iraq and other issues important to MoveOn.org donators. Prior to joining MoveOn, Tom worked for the Kerry-Edwards campaign. And from 2000 to 2004 he worked at the AFL-CIO.

Tom is the poster boy for the culture of corruption. Why is CNN pushing his agenda over our democratically elected officials agenda??

July 2, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. LoooseyGoosey

Matzzie's incompetence is notorious. Taking political advice from Matzzie is like taking driving lessons from Patrick Kennedy.

July 2, 2007 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  3. Tom Z, FL

More CNN Bush-bashing. CNN is so left-wing I'm surprised they haven't tipped over.

July 2, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  4. Mike, Omaha Nebraska

You didn't present any evidence of corruption. Please, show me some evidence.

July 2, 2007 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  5. Bobby

Chertoff is in the service of traitors and is one himself. A fence was voted on. It was signed into law. Mr. Chertoff is a lawless individual and should resign. He is not carrying out his first priority which the American People have assigned him to do, which is to build the fence/wall, and eliminate illgeal immigration.

July 2, 2007 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. Bob Goldie, San Francisco, CA

That's what we get for having a shoot-from-the hip Texan wannabe in high office (not meant as an offense to all Texans). Remember one of the criticisms against John Kerry was that he was an "intellectual elite"? That was supposed to be derogatory, but the irony reveals itself each and every day with our current world policies and subsequent reputation.

July 2, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. Jared, Bennington, VT

I thought Tom DeLay and Duke Cunningham were the poster boys for the Culture of Corruption? Come on, now, how many poster boys can we have?

July 2, 2007 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Intellectual elite? The idiot Bush had better grades than he did when attending Yale.

July 2, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  9. Justin, Arlington TX

ReadBtwthlins-

I do not think I understand your argument. Since when did reporting on an incident become pushing an agenda? Is it because CNN cited a person of whom you do not approve? I ask because I would think a story on about a protest would in some way involve a quote from the protest leader.

As for the story itself, I cringe every time I think of the comments Mr. Bush has made throughout his term. A great deal of his comments have only served as self bolstering salves to soothe over mishandled and ill planned policies. As Sgt. Bruhns states so eloquently, “…the fact that the commander in chief personally invited the enemy to attack us is unacceptable.”

July 2, 2007 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI Canada

Just wish I could have been there to assist the protesters in some way.

Anyone against the War in Iraq has my undying loyalty and support.

I agree, Bring em home. And the sooner the better.

This Putin/Bush Social Camera Shoot with Flowers for Barbara and Laura is disgusting at best.

Is there anything Bush won't do to get his pet projects off the floor? He's even turned Russia against him! What's left for him to destroy single handedly?

When he is going to get it? The World can't wait until they don't have to see his Smug, Arrogant Face on their Tubes.

Now he's using the London and Scotland terrorist attacks as another fear factor and excuse for his SURGE! The only thing that needs to surge is rational thinking and sound administration in the White House.
    Unfortunately that is an impossible feat to accomplish with the present Government!

July 2, 2007 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  11. Mike, Corpus Christi Texas

I remember well that outlandish statement of "my answer is bring them on." Talk about polarizing the entire world, here's another one.

"When I was a kid I remember that they used to put out there in the Old West a wanted poster. It said, Wanted: Dead or Alive.".....GWB, Wash.DC 9-18-01.

July 2, 2007 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  12. Jeff, San Francisco CA

That "bring 'em on" remark only confirmed what was already obvious: how little Bush really cares about the troops he sent into unnecessary and pointless danger.

July 2, 2007 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  13. Brad, Columbia, SC

“When I was a kid I remember that they used to put out there in the Old West a wanted poster. It said, Wanted: Dead or Alive.”…..GWB, Wash.DC 9-18-01.

Hilarious. I can see it now: little George W., strolling up and down the dusty streets of places like Tombstone, Dodge City, and Deadwood... waiting out by the hitching post while Pa slips into the local saloon for a sarsaparilla... and gazing curiously up at some Wanted poster, with its edges slightly and inexplicably singed, and cataloging the image away in his mind, to be recalled at some later date...

July 2, 2007 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. Jerome Woolfork, Los Angeles California

It was truly a sad day for this country when President Bush uttered those words. Frankly, I was embarassaed that the rest of the world would see our so-called "leader of the free world" making such an irresponsible and stupid statement. I only hope that the American people will not forget this president's arrogance. I hope they think about his statement each time the number of American dead rises.

July 2, 2007 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  15. Ed Turner III, Indianapolis, IN

People who complain about "Bush Bashing" but not about our brave men and women being killed and maimed in Iraq really, really, scare me.

July 2, 2007 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  16. Kathie, Spring, TX

We impeach a president because he lied to the Supreme Court about a "bj". Yet we have an oxi moron who bought, cheated and stole his way into office, continues to lie to the American people and nothing is being done. We have thousands of our soldiers being killed all because of this idiot... This idiot needs to be impreached NOW..

July 2, 2007 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  17. Rachel, San Diego CA.

To start, I'm glad Tricia M Charlottetown isn't an American; her opinion is insignificant. Second, bring 'em on! While some of you may want to run, hide and appease our aggressors, some of us believe in fighting, even in the defense of citizens who have never served in the military, but pretend to know so much about it and demand that our troops (many of whom volunteer to be there) come home. The President challenged our enemy. Whether you personally see them as the enemy or not, they hate us all the same. Grow a backbone. Nice political attack. In your next article, underneath the American military death count, please include how many were killed on September 11th, along with the citizens abroad, at the hands of extremists. Your story would be a bit more balanced that way.

July 3, 2007 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  18. Mary, Beaver, PA

Swaggering is easy for someone who doesn't know the meaning of sacrifice. It's easy to make brave remarks when it is someone else who has his tail in the sling. Incidentally, did this guy ever fight in his own war (Vietnam)? Of course not. BTW, those people who are whining about the Bush-bashing here and the left-leaning bias of CNN are pretty dumb themselves. Anyone who thinks that the politics in this country can be described as simply Red or Blue is an idiot. I'm a conservative who is disgusted by this administration. You remember conservatives, don't you? They are SUPPOSED to be the people who believe in limited government. Oh, I forgot. Conservatives are now the people who open the US Treasury to the Pentagon and say, "Help yourself." To think that we can end terrorism by trashing the Constitution is to give in to the enemy. To think that we are going to end terrorism by big talk is just plain stupid.

July 3, 2007 10:14 am at 10:14 am |