July 3rd, 2007

Biden raises $2.4 million

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Joe Biden, D-Delaware, raised at least $2.4 million for his presidential campaigns in the last three months, a campaign aide tells CNN. At least $2 million of that total can be spent during the primaries.

Here's how Biden stacks up so far against the Democratic fundraising totals:

• Barack Obama: raised $32.5 million overall
  • Hillary Clinton: raised $27 million overall
  • John Edwards: raised $9 million overall
  • Bill Richardson: raised $7 million overall
  • Chris Dodd: raised $3.2 million overall
  • Joe Biden: raised $2.4 million overall

(Note: Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel did not release fundraising estimates)

1. Jon Sweeney

I'm sick of seeing who has raised the most money for the campaign so far. Why do we as Americans put up with such nonsense? I want a candidate who will run for president who's poor. That way we all will know what we're getting. An average American who cares about America, and not whose purse is the biggest! Vote for me Jon Sweeney – I am an average American with nothing to hide and $2,000 in the bank. After you stop laughing – think about it for one second. You have never heard of me, I'm not rich, I'm not a politician, and I wouldn't have a snowballs chance in you know where of winning because it's all about who raises the most money!

July 3, 2007 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  2. tomcat27834

PLEASE AMERICAN....Joe Biden deserves your consideration. Look beyond the "political machine" and lets bring this proven leader to the forefront. Joe Biden has earned his dues.

July 3, 2007 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  3. corey welton, apex, nc

In other words, he's at the bottom of the pack, with regards to fundraising. So why might this garner any attention at all - save the notion that Biden (D-MBNA) is a darling of the American media?

July 3, 2007 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. John Campbell, Harrisburg, PA

It isn't about who raises the most money though. It is all about where they get their money. Barack Obama has refused to accepted donations from PACs and Interest groups. He is taking it from "average American people" just like you. I have less then $2,000 in the bank and I am only 19 years old, however I gave Barack $25. It is all I could spare. I believe candidates should be accountable to the people. Like I said it isn't aobut how much you raise it is about where you get it from.

July 3, 2007 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  5. Frank Johnson, Xenia, Ohio

I think Jon is wrong. Without an actual election taking place, the money being contributed and the number and kind of contributors are the only ways of keeping score at this point. These people care enough about their candidate to invest their hard-earned dollars in the effort to get their message out. Naturally, I think it says something very significant about Barack Obama, an upstart candidate who out distanced the establishment candidates like Hillary Clinton.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hillary. I voted for Bill every time I could partly because his wife is saavy and smart. But at this point I am going to pay close attention to Barack Obama. I think everybody should and these numbers underscore that suggestion.

July 3, 2007 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  6. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Jon,
    I disagree. Americans vote with their dollars. They support who they will ultimately vote for because they are putting their money where their mouth is.

Campaign funds is an early gauge of who is generating the most voter support, not because they have money, but because they're worth supporting.

July 3, 2007 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  7. Joan Kors, Los Angeles, Ca.

Joe Biden is THE most qualified person to be our next President in these very difficult times that Bush has put us in. I don't care how much money he raises – he'll blow people away in the future debates, do really well in Iowa, and THEN the public will pay attention.

July 3, 2007 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. Tom Corino, Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ

Joe Biden is by the far the most qualified candidate. The country really needs to wake up and listen to him speak. Others are finally realizing he has the best plan for Iraq, a plan he devised well over a year ago.

July 3, 2007 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  9. Barbara - New York

Senator Biden is the most qualified,the most experienced and he would make an outstanding President. He was right on Iraq, from day one, and he has the only real plan for Iraq, and all of the candidates are coming around to Senator Biden's plan.
    This should not be about who has raised the most money, it should be about who has the experience, passion. Take a look at Senator Biden's record. He is the most qualified, and would make an outstanding President.

July 3, 2007 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |