July 6th, 2007

43 celebrates his 61st

President Bush, center, with Washington Nationals' president Stan Kasten, left, general manager, Jim Bowden and part owner, Mark Lerner, back row, at RFK Stadium Thursday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The President and first lady departed for Camp David Friday morning, where Mr. Bush will celebrate his 61st birthday.

Mr. Bush said “thank you” to a shouted happy birthday as he walked to Marine One on the White House South Lawn.

Thursday evening, the President went to RFK Stadium where he watched about six innings of the Washington Nationals-Chicago Cubs game. He arrived in the first inning, sitting in a skybox with members of the Lerner family that owns the team, General Manager Jim Bowden and Team President Stan Kasten.

Pool reporters at the game say a foul ball hit by Nationals’ catcher Brian Schneider hit off the presidential skybox in the 2nd inning, but bounced back down to the seats below. No word what the health-conscious president actually ate in the box, but the group shared hot dogs, peanuts, Cracker Jacks, nachos, chicken tenders, soda and water.

This was the fourth time Mr. Bush has attended a Nationals game since baseball returned to Washington in 2005. The Nationals lost 4-2, making the home team’s record 2-2 when the president is in attendance.

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Matt, Santa Ana, CA

President Idiot celebrates his birthday. The worst gift to this country was this moron...thank you to all who voted for him.

July 6, 2007 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. Peter from Orlando, FL

Impeach. Now.

July 6, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. Bubba, Swainsboro GA

I gotta say it doesn't look right, him sitting there all happy while we've got guys strung out all over the Middle East.

July 6, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  4. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

I'm with Peter. Impeach Now...
    An Impeachment Party is more in order of the business of the day.

Instead of 61 candles they could have
    a placard with signifying the number of years in office and the number of years the world suffered devastation under his reign....then bid him farewell as the door hits his brain on the way out!

DUBYA: Dolt Under Bar Yodelling Again

July 6, 2007 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

Enjoy your birthday, Mr President! Don't let the weak-spined whiners get you down. Just remember when it comes to impeachment: Clinton 1, Bush 0

Oh – let's not forget Hillary voted for the War!

July 6, 2007 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  6. Missy Manner

Happy Birthday Mr. President.

And you are welcome Matt. I voted for the best candidate and he won.

July 6, 2007 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  7. John, Tampa, FL

I really don't care for his policies either, but it's President Bush, not "Mr. Bush".

July 6, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  8. Lisa K., South Portland, ME

I'm sure there are many U.S. soldiers whose birthdays are today as well, but they can't celebrate with their families like george can, because they're deployed, or dead. I hope he knocks back a couple for them and says I'm sorry.

Impeachment is the only answer for this brutal war criminal.

July 6, 2007 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. Dan Neslon Lincoln Nebraska

Our president has that same smile on his face as when he talks about the war in Iraq. It's hard to believe that the leader of our country can take time off for a baseball game when according to many of the Republicans we are in the some of toughest times in our history. I don't even have time to do something like this and I only run a small company let alone the whole country.

July 6, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  10. Carl, Dallas, TX

He may be a bad leader, but if he was so bad, how did he get re-elected? Furthermore, I don't care who is running, they are all crooks and liars because I am a firm believer that people that run for president should have a small and equal budget so that rich candidates with deeper pockets take away from the smaller fish. If obama or clinton wins, the same thing will happen with them that did with bush and the former clinton. Only difference is the grandness of it. Bush has done some awful things, but in fact, they all do awful things because I don't think they are credible people. That's why I'll never vote.

July 6, 2007 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. John, St. Louis MO

Number of Democratic Presidents Impeached- TWO (Clinton, Andrew Johnson who was the War Democrat candidate)

Number of Republican Presidents Impeached- ZERO

I don't agree with 80% of what PRESIDENT Bush has done, but he was still the better choice two elections in a row...

July 6, 2007 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  12. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

To Lisa K and all the other foaming liberals bellyaching for impeachment:

If your case for impeachment is so cemented, why doesn't the house and senate move for it (both controlled by democrats)? Either 1) the dems in office are too afraid or incompetent... or 2) there is no case – just the rantings of frustrated liberals.

I suspect both are correct.

Happy Birthday again Mr. President!!

July 6, 2007 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  13. Levi in Anchorage, Alaska

I'm not a big fan of the President. I'm not a big fan of Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk either.

Mr. Brusk, the correct title isn't Mr. Bush it's either President Bush or Mr. President!

July 6, 2007 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  14. Ryan, New York, NY

Jon,
    For as many times as I've seen you throw that "Just remember when it comes to impeachment: Clinton 1, Bush 0" line, I'd have thought you'd do some research on the procedure.

The Republicans wasted our time in 1998 since it didn't accomplish anything, and it would be a waste of time to do it now. Especially since people that would normally support it would be outraged that we'd remove him during a war.

The reason it wouldn't happen is that it requires 2/3 of senators to remove someone from office. Not looking too likely with the 50-50 split and a horde of partisans in office. Bush could probably crucify the 2nd coming of Christ on television and still wouldn't get removed from office.

July 6, 2007 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  15. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

To Ryan ~ New York...

Thank you for a basic civics lesson. To further help YOU understand the impeachment process – The House of Representatives draw up Articles of Impeachment and vote on Impeachment of the President. If the vote is successful, the case is sent to the Senate for a full hearing and vote. TO REMOVE the President 2/3rds of the Senate must approve. However, to simply "Impeach" the President requires only the action of the House of Representatives.

So – based on your explanation – because the Senate wouldn't vote to remove President Bush, why bother? I guess THAT'S standing up for what you believe, eh?

If the house of reps (again controlled by democrats) can't formulate one article against President Bush – I guess the "Impeach Now" crowd really is just whining and bellyaching?

July 6, 2007 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  16. Geo in South Texas

Way to go Jon...these republicans cannot read worth a darn, so they must depend on other "smart" republicans to explain procedure and I believe the smartest one they know is their president.

July 6, 2007 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  17. Tricia Charlottetown PEI.

The excuse for a Leader of the US
    might be Mr. President or President Bush in Anchorage Alaska but here
    he's Mr. Shrub et.al.

July 6, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  18. Mike, Corpus Christi Texas

Happy Birthday MrPresident, and thank you so much for your failed foreign policies that have made our country the most hated, the most despised nation on the face of this planet, and in the history of the entire world! You know, that's really a great feeling! I'd say you're 'batting a 1000'.... Hmmmm, overtones from Texas Ranger baseball?

July 7, 2007 04:47 am at 4:47 am |
  19. indy911truth

all I can say is 7 minutes. It took him 7 minutes to react when our country was under attack on 9/11 and he would rather hide out in a school with hundreds of innocent and possible victims than stop two more planes from blowing up. Shame shame...

July 8, 2007 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  20. Gary, Boston USA

Is he gone yet? Oh.. I guess not. Ok. someone knock on the door to my fallout shelter when he's gone. Assuming the country still exists. If the Neo-Con New World Order doctrine takes foothold. I'll hopefully be ready on time. I plan to read up on war profiteering and arms trading. A good backup plan if I say so myself.

July 8, 2007 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  21. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

The only reason Bush has not been impeached is because Cheney is his Vice President.

It would be like going from the Fire to the Fire...America would still continue to smolder in the Ashes.

Why would Republicans or Democrats waste all that energy and end up with exactly the same calibre of leader as the one Impeached?

July 10, 2007 12:58 am at 12:58 am |