July 6th, 2007

Paul reports more campaign cash than McCain

Paul raised $2.4 million in the second quarter.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - He's considered a long-shot to win the GOP presidential nomination, but Texas Rep. Ron Paul is boasting more cash-on-hand than Arizona Sen. John McCain's struggling presidential campaign.

The Texas Republican raised nearly $2.4 million in the second quarter, and, after all expenses, has a total amount of $2.4 million cash-on-hand, campaign spokesman Kent Snyder tells CNN. Paul raised $640,000 in the first quarter of 2007.

Snyder added that nearly all of Paul’s warchest was raised through the Internet.

Earlier in the week, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani’s campaign announced having $18 million in campaign cash, $15 million of which may be spent on the primaries. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney's campaign announced a warchest of $12 million for the GOP nomination fight.

Arizona Sen. John McCain, once the early favorite to win the nomination, reported raising a disappointing $11.2 million in the second quarter with only $2 million cash on hand - $400,000 less than Paul. His campaign said his support of immigration reform legislation hurt his fundraising ability.

Paul, with only 11 staffers on his campaign, runs a frugal campaign. The Texas Republican rarely travels to key campaign states. Snyder said the campaign is expecting to expand into additional states in the near future.

Paul registered 2 percent in the latest CNN/Opinion Research poll conducted June 22-24.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Adam

Considered a long by whom? CNN has a responsibility to cover ALL candidates as fairly as possible, otherwise there is no way their ideas can become noticed popularly. Until you start covering Paul and the other "so-called" second tier candidates fairly, you are abdicating your responsibility to the American people.

July 6, 2007 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  2. HoJo Ft Myers, FL

It would serve us right to elect a guy like Ron Paul.
    Just like some other famous folks in Congress, he has lied to his constituents.
    He is not a Republican.
    He is a libertarian.
    I don't know how many Republicans want to legalize drugs, but he does.
    I don't knowhow many Republicans want to go back to the foreign policy of the 1930s. But he does.

Learn about Ron Paul, before you vote for Ron Paul.

July 6, 2007 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  3. Zac, Wellesley, MA

I absolutely love hearing this! i have loved Ron Paul ever since i started following the political debates. he is a real guy...i completely agree with holly, "Ron Paul represents the peopl". I consider myself an independent, but i mostly have voted for democrats, but i am seriously looking at Ron Paul and praying he is our next president.

July 6, 2007 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  4. Tommy, Washington, D.C.

Are his supporters still an internet phantom only?

July 6, 2007 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  5. Scriven Taylor, Bellevue WA

Go Ron go!

Ron has a real chance to win. No corporate or foreign lobbies are giving to him.... it is all coming from the pockets of American people motivated for change.

Ron is the only person running who is not an executive activist... he believes in and will uphold the Constitution. How revolutionary!

[i]"Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act."
    - George Orwell [/i]

July 6, 2007 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  6. Mike, HI

I've been looking forward to hearing his numbers, and wow! I was afraid he'd end up under a million or something, but this is fantastic news. His shot at the nomination is looking more plausible every day.

As a college student, I'm very hesitant to spend any of my money, but I'm definitely going to give what I can to Dr. Paul.

July 6, 2007 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  7. Jim Erikson, Philadelphia, PA

Well I'm fed up with the big spending, big government politicians.

I for one am voting for Ron Paul. He's the only one speaking the truth.

July 6, 2007 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  8. John, Seattle, WA

A big thanks to the People who are making this possible. Thanks to Ron Paul for bringing attention back to Liberty. And thanks to CNN for noticing, keep it up and you won't be able to handle he love!

July 6, 2007 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  9. Gary Johnson, New York, NY

The latest Harris Poll has Ron Paul going from 2% to 4% in the past month. He is closing in on McCain in both cash and in the polls.

July 6, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  10. sharlen weymouth,ma

I guess we do naot all have illegals watching our kids, cleaningour homes and preparing our food as well as picking it up at the famers market like MCCain said? Heck if I did I might agree with him, he lives in a different world than he legislates to, thats for sure. Goodbye John, have a safe trip to Hanoi

July 6, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  11. Brad, New York, NY

The media should just admit that Ron Paul is for real and stop pretending otherwise. Mitts Romney would have only had $3 million if he hadn't just given himself a big loan of $9 million to save face (see: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0707/4790.html).

I think Ron Paul will be the frontrunner in the GOP race once the excitement over Fred Thompson wears off and people realize that Fred is pretending to be Ron Paul. Dr. Paul will be the nominee for the GOP when its all said and done and will battle Hillary for the White House.

July 6, 2007 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  12. Anonymous

I don't think the man who said Ron Paul has lied to the people is very mart in his comments. I am a friend of Ron and his positions are not exactly like this man describes. Of course he probably has not taken the time to actually find out the truth. And if he is not a republican then how is he running on the ticket. Does this make any sense?

July 6, 2007 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  13. Carl, Secaucus, NJ

I'm not a social conservative like Ron Paul, or even a Republican, but I admire his genuine belief in liberty. The fact he's been a successful Congressman for a major party (despite party opposition to him) shows he knows how to work within government to pursue his aims. He represents Galveston, Texas, which is not exactly what you'd call the lunatic fringe. I'm donating money to him out of the old-fashioned idea you should support someone you actually like, not just the lesser of two evils. I intend to vote Democrat, but the way I look at it, if you really care about your country, you want even the opposition candidate to be someone worthwhile, because what if they end up winning instead? The day after the election, you've still got a country to live in...

July 6, 2007 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  14. gary lynch, longview, texas

I think the man that said Ron Paul lied to the people is just telling his side of a story that he has not researched and obviously does not know anything about. I am a friend of Ron and he has always been truthful as far as I know. He is also running on the republican ticket so I don't know how you can say he is not a republican. The truth of the two items is not as this man is saying.

July 6, 2007 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  15. Patrick, Phoenix AZ

I am an independant and can't stand the status quo. I never thought I would even consider a "republican" ever again after the last 6+ years of a moron like GWB. While I think Ron Paul is a bit off his rocker on some topics he clearly is the best republican candiate out there.

I have no idea why I bother looking at CNN when people like Paris Hilton get top billing over people like Ron Paul. Are you still in the news business CNN???

This is a dash of good news but it sure would be nice if CNN and thier peers would give an even coverage to each of the candiates. Freaking Fred Thompson gets more coverage than actual candidates.

RON PAUL 2008!!!

July 6, 2007 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  16. Don, Los Angeles, CA

Thank you for reporting this story.

July 6, 2007 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. Jim, Providence, RI

You forgot to mention that Romney would only have $600,000 more than Ron Paul if Romney hadn't donated a ton of his own money to his campaign.

July 6, 2007 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  18. Dennis Drake Las Vegas Nevada

If Ron Paul backs what we are doing then he will Win in November as we are launching our Free Power Program July10th 2008 Energy Independence Day in America

July 6, 2007 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  19. Charlie, Port Orchard, WA

Go Ron Paul Go!!!

July 6, 2007 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  20. MJ, Seymour, CT

This little grassfire is emerging into a true wildfire. The special interest groups ie the military industrial complex, federal reserve, North American unionist, etc. are ripe for a long due torching. The amount of people that donated this past quarter will prove to be more impressive than the inspiring $2.4 million. Ron Paul's message is resonating with all ages and income brackets and most importantly with those that had become disenfranchised with our political process. I donated last quarter and will continue to contribute much more over the following months.

July 6, 2007 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  21. Chip Augello, Port Orchard, WA

Are you feeling the heat yet, CNN??? It's only going to get hotter. More coverage of Ron Paul will be inevitable. The American People are spreading the word!

July 6, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  22. Travis Pahl, Seattle WA

Chris:

You think that Ron Paul Supporters think Paul is no longer a long shot because his supporters all contributed the maximum. I suggest you look into his campaign a little more. His average donation has historically been much lower than most the other candidates. In past congressional races, he regularly ranks in the top 5 congressmen in terms of NUMBER of donors.

Ron Paul is not a long shot because he has MANY donors, and even more supporters that have not donated a penny to the campaign but have contributed many hours to the cause and will continue to contribute time to the cause.

July 6, 2007 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  23. eric, amesbury, ma

Go Ron Paul!

July 6, 2007 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  24. Editor

Dr. Paul has by far more momentum than any other GOP'er... That's because he's the only one with a chance of beating the Dems. No pro-war Rep can win. The country is feed-up. Look at the polls, look at the midterms. Paul is the GOP's last hope. They better get smart and fast...

Go Ron Paul!

July 6, 2007 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  25. WIll - Miami, FL

A note for those of you like HoJo from Ft. Meyers:

You're right, Ron Paul wants to "legalize" alot of things. You see, he believes that there should not be so many Federal laws. However, you're making a big mistake because of your ignorance of civics. Most issues are up to the STATES to determine. The Federal government has no Constitutional right to tell states what their citizens cannot do related to drugs, driving, sex, religion, and a whole host of other issues that we have Federal law on.

It is up to the Federal Government to ensure that your Constitutional rights are not violated and that you are protected.

Have you ever considered that there are so MANY laws that each of us probably break at lease one law every day.

Let's vote for those that want to give us BACK our liberty!

July 6, 2007 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |