July 7th, 2007

Giuliani consults women's guide on NASCAR

Giuliani was to attend a NASCAR race Saturday

(CNN)-On the spot from local media, Rudy Giuliani revealed what he has been reading to prepare for a NASCAR race Saturday night. "Its a female guide to NASCAR. It was given to me by the person who wrote it," the former New York mayor told reporters in Jacksonville, Florida. "She participated in a fund raiser for me, she's an expert on NASCAR." Giuliani said his advisors had also suggested "NASCAR for Dummies" but he had not read that yet.

"I've watched NASCAR on television before, I haven't gone to one. I'm real excited about it," he said when conceding he was a relative newcomer to the sport. "I did go to a track once in Kentucky and drive around," during a fund raiser for Senator Jim Bunning of Kentucky.

Giuliani was campaigning in Jacksonville and Orlando on Saturday. He was to attend the 49th annual Pepsi 400 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona, Florida Saturday night.

– CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Filed under: Race to '08 • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Paul Sabino, Benoni, South Africa

Here is a lady who knows about cars...her hubby is a lucky man!

July 7, 2007 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  2. Alexei, Philadelphia

This fits in perfectly with Giuliani's previous behavior. He's reading a book for women after having gone around dressed up as a woman while Mayor of New York.

When will someone get the guts to run a poll asking whether the American people will vote for a President who cross-dressed as a grown man?

July 7, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  3. Tim

Giuliani has time to read a woman's guide to Nascar, but he doesn't have time to read the 9/11 commission report?

July 7, 2007 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  4. JT George

Wonder if Rudy was going kick off the start of this race by stating,
    "Gentlemen, Start Your Dalliances"?
    Just too bad Mitt didn't show up for this event...he could have strapped his dog to the top of a car and driven four hundred miles himself.

July 7, 2007 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  5. JB Black Forest, Colorado

He so needs to not show his true ignorance for the sport!! He should be embarrassed that he said what he did. I am someone who has followed it all my life and I come from the West coast where there are only a few races a year. How can someone be from the east coast where the majority of the races held and NOT know NASAR!! And the best part I am a woman and I know more about the sport than most men out there today!! I think he was a good mayor ...... but stick to the sports you know!!

July 7, 2007 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  6. Mike, Tuscaloosa, AL

First of all, enough of about NASCAR and politics. The viewer ratings for this sport has gone down every year the past few years.

Second, why does CNN think it is important for people to know the Rudy needed a guide to NASCAR to learn about it? If this really has a bearing on the 2008 election, we are in trouble. The leader of the free world, and the person who sets our foreign and domestic policies should not be judged on because of his NASCAR knowledge.

July 7, 2007 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  7. R. Forester Toledo, Ohio

Giuliani is as arrogant as they come. The man makes me ill. I see nothing but phoniness that emanates from him in increasingly pandering and ridiculous displays of "faux coolness".

July 8, 2007 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  8. Worstnewsever!!!,seymour, IN

Why would anyone care about this. Oh wait- unless CNN uses a SEXIST headline to put it on its front page, just to get web hits. What- are you not busy enough to cover the real news of the day that you have to throw out this headline? DISGUSTING! (I used to think CNN was a place to go for honest reporting, but not anymore!)

July 8, 2007 04:19 am at 4:19 am |
  9. NY

> How can someone be from the east
    > coast where the majority of the
    > races held and NOT know NASAR!!

I can tell you how: due to lack of interest. Cars driving around and around and around...and around, could anything be more boring and irrelevant?!

July 8, 2007 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  10. Diana W., Beaufort SC

I believe it's time the Federal government looks at the tax structure of states such as Florida, Texas and Tennessee. They have no state income tax and seem to function pretty well thru the collection of state sales taxes and property taxes. A federal sales tax instead of an income tax would insure that there are no tax evaders.

July 8, 2007 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  11. Eamon Gallagher, New York, NY

NASCAR isn't really a sport. It is an event, one in which ridiculously huge amounts of beer and fuel and advertising are consumed. Rudy's attempt to pretend he actually cares about anything else than the New York Yankees–which is a perfectly fine team to care about–just goes to show that he is a showman, pandering to the people west of the Hudson River who like to watch cars go around and around and around in circles, which is a metaphor for Rudy's worldview–it starts on 9/11 and ends on 9/12 and picks back up on 9/11.

July 8, 2007 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  12. Patti, Cocoa Beach, Fl

He was at the race in a black Rolls Royce. At a NASCAR event in a black Rolls? That's not exactly being in touch with the fan base!

July 8, 2007 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  13. Bill Cain, Berkeley CA

So what?

July 8, 2007 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  14. Dan (Baltimore, MD)

July 8, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  15. ALAN, ORMOND BEACH, FLORIDA

THANK YOU RUDY FOR SHOWING UP IN DAYTONA. WHERE WAS OBAMA AND BILLARY,
    NASCAR TO GOOD FOR YOU?

GOP, GOP, GOP !!!!!!!

July 8, 2007 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  16. Lori, Mount Juliet, TN

Personally, I don't care if he knows about racing or not. When I did live in NY, he made the city a gret city to live in. Koch, although loved by everyone ran a crime ridden city and Bloomberg has pretty much let the city slip into the old days before Giuliani. I left NY last year, maybe if another Rudy came on board, I'd consider visiting. Rudy may not be loved for his ways, but he's what we need. Just like a good parent.

July 8, 2007 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  17. Paul

"I love all the attacks on Rudy here. It goes to show how frightened the dems are of him."

Haha, I'm a Republican, and he scares the hell out of me too! Mainly because he doesn't know jack about foreign policy, hates states rights (a national ID card.. are you kidding me?), and will only continue Bush's record-setting deficit spending.

You neo-con disciples of Bush please go and waste your time on this 9/11 profiteer, while the rest of the true conservatives (who understand conservatism) will be busy supporting Ron Paul – the next president of the United States, and hero of the American Republic.

July 8, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  18. Will - Miami, Fl

Note to CNN Political Ticker editor(s): I am recording the posting of this message. It is the 4th time that I've attempted to post it. I will post this on YouTube and every other site that I can if you delete this post this time. You are welcome to remove this first paragraph – I only want the important portion posted.

Who cares about what NASCAR fans think. That's just pandering. What's important to the American patriot is what the firefighters really think – it tells a story that the media has ignored!

Look it up people. Keywoards "Rudy Giuliani Firefighter Union Letter".

July 8, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  19. Steven Oshinsky, Miami FL

Giuliani is my favorite among the GOP contenders.

He pushed for really tough handgun controls while he was mayor of NYC, and was very critical of the lack of controls in the southern states. A large share of the handguns on NYC streets were coming from the southern states

July 8, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. nikto, Los Angeles, CA

Get rid of guns forever!!

Support Giuliani!!!!

Your guns are gonna' be history!

Woo hoo!

July 8, 2007 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  21. don

why do people like guliani?

he seems so unappealing to me. it might just be his lisp though. hard to imagine another president that hsa a speech impediment.

July 8, 2007 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. Garrett Indianapolis, IN

Does anyone realize that his message is one of terror and fear? He doesn't even try to invoke an iota of a hope message. It's disappointing that his extremist views are accepted and/or ignored. God help us if he gets the nomination. God help us all...

Vote for HOPE FOR AMERICA
    Vote Ron Paul.

July 8, 2007 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  23. Paul Johnston, Professor of Political Studies, UCLA

FORGET CORRUPT GIULIANI!... PRESIDENT BUSH JR. SHOULD HAVE BEEN IMPEACHED 2 YEARS AGO OVER THE IRAQI 'W.M.D.' LIES. WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE BY THE DEMOCRATS WHEN REPUBLICANS PUT BILL CLINTON THOUGH THIS HELL FOR ONLY HAVING SEX WITH AN AIDE?? ARE THESE 2 PARTIES IN CAHOOTS? SOMETHING'S GONE VERY WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY TODAY!

July 8, 2007 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  24. Leonard J. Erdman Albuq N.M. 87111

Ever since Rude Rudy criticized Ron Paul in the debates, I lost all respect for him. Not a chance he will get my vote. He proved how little he knows about the Middle East crisis, the people, Muslims, sectarian violence, war and terrorism. He saw a chance to Toot His Horn about being the Mayor of N.Y. during 911. You have to understand something before you can begin solving it, and Rudy G. clearly does not.

July 9, 2007 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  25. andy phx

'I love all the attacks on Rudy here. It goes to show how frightened the dems are of him. The more they attack the more I gain hope that he will defeat the dems and be the 44th President of the United States. Vote Rudy into the White House!'

You're right. We are very frightened that he may have a chance at being president. That would mean 4-8 more years of bush/cheney! You're dreaming though if you think we're afraid for one second that he even has a sliver of a chance. He doesn't. Keep having your stupid wet dreams douche bag. NA NA, NA NA NA NA, HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE!!!

July 9, 2007 12:33 am at 12:33 am |