July 8th, 2007

Cindy Sheehan considering run against Pelosi

Cindy Sheehan is considering a run for Congress

(CNN) - Despite swearing off public life earlier this year, peace activist Cindy Sheehan would run against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as an independent in 2008 unless the speaker moves to impeach President Bush, a Sheehan spokeswoman said Sunday.

Sheehan, a northern California resident, is taking part in a protest caravan from President Bush's home in Crawford, Texas, to Washington, which is scheduled to arrive July 23. Spokeswoman Tiffany Burns told CNN that Sheehan would challenge the speaker, who has held her San Francisco-area seat since 1987, unless Pelosi introduces articles of impeachment before then.

There was no immediate reaction from Pelosi's office to Sheehan's threat. The speaker said in November that calls for impeaching Bush were "off the table," but that Congress would push for an end to the widely unpopular, 4-year-old war under Democratic control.

Sheehan achieved national attention when she camped outside Bush's home throughout August 2005 to demand a meeting with the president over her son's death. While Bush ignored her, the vigil made her one of the most prominent figures among opponents of the war.

But in May, after congressional Democratic efforts to set a March 2008 goal for a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq failed in the face of a presidential veto, Sheehan quit the anti-war movement in disgust and declared that her son Casey - a U.S. soldier killed in Baghdad in 2004 - had died "for nothing."

She said she was exhausted by the personal, financial and emotional toll her campaign had taken, disillusioned by the failure of Democratic politicians to end the war and tired of a peace movement she said "often puts personal egos above peace and human life."

Filed under: Iraq • Nancy Pelosi • President Bush
  1. Kristy Sanborn

Well, I got my laugh for the night, is all I can say! This is just too funny, thank you Cindy, you are not only a disgrace to this country, but I am telling you, you, Cindy, are a disgrace to the memory of your son. Maybe no one else will say it, but I will. And you need to know it. Was you son one that wanted the paycheck, Cindy, but not stand behind the oath he took? Is that your anger, that maybe your son didn't want to go and defend his country? There has not been, Cindy, a draft for how many years? NO ONE forced YOUR son, Cindy, to join the Military.
    You, Cindy, and does anyone think Cindy reads this blog? I certainly hope so. Because, Cindy, you are trying to take your son's dignity, unless he really didn't want to go over there, and just wanted the check. But if your son was a true Soldier, then are trying to take something away from him. Something he died for, Cindy. Your son died with dignity, are you really willing to risk taking that away from your deceased son? You can not face the fact that your son died defending his country, the very country you are running down. You run our Country's President down, you run the country down...The SAME Country, Cindy, YOUR son died defending. That is very sad, and my heart goes out to you for the loss of your son. But you are NOT going to run down the country I live in, or the President of it. There have been President's I didn't agree with in the past, but I would NEVER do what you are doing, it would be too disgraceful the manner you are doing it in. If you want to run, its a free country, go for it. But don't use your dead son's memory to do it with.
    Stand on your own credits, not your son's, he stood on different ground, if he was a true Soldier.
    I can't help thinking when I read your words of your demand, if you son would be turning over in his grave at his mother's words, to his Commander in Chief and the Military that stand behind our President, remember, YOUR son was one of them, IF he was a true Soldier. If he was, Cindy, you are so dishonoring his name and what he stood for. And each time you make one of your speaches, or your demands, and run down our Military and its leaders, you remember one thing. That when I read them, I am going to visioning your son turning in his grave, knowing his mother is trying to make his memory a disgrace by her words.

July 8, 2007 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. 4Initiative to Impeach Bush, Boston MA

Bush should be impeached long ago. He and his administration should be brought to justice for crime against humanity for what has been done and continue to be carried out in Iraq, but more importantly for the lives this adminstration has put in harms way fighting in Iraq for the lies the administration has presented and still misrepresent.

The war is not what the people want, but the current adminstration does NOT serve the people, but rather themselves, their interests and pocket books!

July 8, 2007 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  3. cliff, honolulu hi

Go home Cindy. You will only make a laughing stock out of yourself. You have done your fair share.

July 8, 2007 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  4. Garrett Indianapolis, IN

So we think that do-nothing Pelosi can stand up against Sheehan? No way. Pelosi is in trouble on this one. Get her out, she can't even do her job. Impeach or face the wrath. Pelosi is in bed with the administration and she needs to be held accountable for it.

July 8, 2007 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. William Ligiu Ionescu, California

I think this is great! Are any of you sitters presenting articles of impeachment??

July 8, 2007 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  6. Tommy, San Francisco, CA

Way to go, Cindy. I will vote for you.

July 8, 2007 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  7. Johnny, Oceanside, CA

Jesus... this ladies ignorance and stupidity just gets worse and worse.... She disrespects the memory of her son, is an anti-patriot, and just an attention whore. It would be funny to see her run and fail like she fails at everything else.

July 8, 2007 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  8. Carl, Dallas, Texas

Hey Paul, it's also for all the democrats that strongly supported her to get votes, then tossed her cause away once in power... both sides, democrat and republican, are so full of greedy and dishonesty that it's time to simply get rid of campaign contributions, lobbyists, etc... makes me sick and it's why i will never vote until it changes

July 8, 2007 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  9. Charles :Ft.lauderdale ,FL

Apparently the Democrates are even MORE useless when given the power they so desparately want.It just goes to PROVE that neither party has any intentions of changing anything eccept the fullness of their pockets with money and power and of course notoriety....

July 8, 2007 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  10. Gary, Boston MA

The only sane voice in the crowd. Unfortunately she doesn't have a chance. Her foot isn't in the elite inner circle of the two-faced Demopublican Plutocratic Kleptocracy, or better known by the blinded majority in this country, your very own U.S. Government.

July 8, 2007 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  11. citizenhero

She doesn't have a chance in hell. And Pelosi's numbers are higher than Bush's, to the idiot who said they were lower.

July 8, 2007 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  12. Daniel, Richmond, VA

I don't really care much about Cindy Sheehan, but I'd vote for her in this situation. Pelosi's weak-knee decision to "take impeachment off the table" is idiotic at best. I'll vote against anyone who wouldn't vote to impeach this current administration after everything they've done in the last 6 years.

Pressure, negotiate, impeach.

July 8, 2007 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  13. diane mildred, la fayette. ga.

bush and cheny need to be impeached, before they completely ruin this country, they have already done a lot of damage.and they are getting away with it.

July 8, 2007 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  14. Hanes, Springfield MO

Cindy Sheehan, as well as others, should look ahead on the consequences if Bush was successfully impeached. We would get Cheney as President.

Democrats, no – Congress – just focus on ending the war in Iraq

July 8, 2007 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  15. Wendy, Spokane, WA

I think the main reason that no one has moved to impeach Bush, even with his low ratings, is the fact that we would end up with the next in line, Cheney. I can definitely understand Cindy Sheehan's disgust and frustration with the Bush administration. The one thing that so many of us cannot equate with is the grief that she feels over the loss of her son. I can't put myself in her place on that one. My son came home from Iraq with PTSD and back injuries. For that I will be forever grateful. As far as this country being run by men vs women. I think that anyone that runs for office in this country needs to have a course in common sense. The politicians are so far removed from the average person it isn't funny--misuse of funds and power, not listening to those that they are supposed to govern, etc.

July 8, 2007 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  16. Wayne Guindon

CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK........ What is that saying about a wet hen. Get back on your nest lady and lay some egss instead of all that squawking.

July 8, 2007 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  17. Anonymous, Santa Cruz, CA

Cindy, good luck! Go for it! I hope you win, if you do not, then maybe you
    can take enough votes away from her to
    get her out of office!

July 8, 2007 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  18. Anonymous, Los Angeles, CA

I'll vote for her. As a red-blooded, American Republican, it seems like just the right thing to do.

July 8, 2007 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  19. TB, San Diego, CA

Sheehan dishonors her son's death. Of course, her entire life dishonors his memory. Like Lindbergh the NAZI pacifist before her, Sheehan makes the day of a major war come closer.

July 8, 2007 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  20. Jim Escondido CA

Good Luck Ms Sheehan. I predict you will lose 10 to 1. You are being used as a patsy. Those who urge you to run could care less about you. I'm not a fan of the Democrats but I think Speaker Pelosi has done a pretty good job thus far. Just wish some of her fellow Democrats would concentrate on getting thing back on track instead of all their witch hunts. All of America mourns your loss. But, never, ever believe your son died in vein, because he didn't!!!! Of course, those who are pushing you into the lime light would like you to believe that cause that's part of their agenda. If you are such a peace activist, why not find some old WW II veteran and ask him about the sacrafices his family made back in the 40's....

If you can read this: Thank a Teacher!
    If you can read it in English: Thank a VET!!!!

July 8, 2007 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  21. Jan, Dallas, Texas

It is long past time to hold Bush accountable.... Pelosi sold out.
    Go Cindy !

July 8, 2007 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  22. Paul Johnston, Professor of Political Studies, UCLA

PRESIDENT BUSH JR. SHOULD HAVE BEEN IMPEACHED 2 YEARS AGO OVER THE IRAQI 'W.M.D.' LIES. WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE BY THE DEMOCRATS WHEN REPUBLICANS PUT BILL CLINTON THOUGH THIS HELL FOR ONLY HAVING SEX WITH AN AIDE?? ARE THESE 2 PARTIES IN CAHOOTS? OMETHING'S VERY WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY TODAY!

July 8, 2007 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  23. Howard, NY, NY

I think that Cindy Sheehan would do a heck of alot better job than Pelosi and any other person, she’s got what it takes, guts and brains, that is what we need.

Wow, you have to be kidding. I'll give you the "guts" part, but it seems like Sheehan is a little light in the "brains" category. She's become a self-parody at this point, and her insanity only hurts the anti-war cause. I'm sorry that she lost her son, but it's no excuse for her antics.

July 8, 2007 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  24. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Sheehan lost her mind. Congress is not a toy, you can not have it anytime you want. Sheehan used her son for her desire looks like, I am sorry. You should blame Bush not Pelosi. It sounds like somebody manipulated her in the back. Anti-war has nothing to do with Parties. If you are upset with Pelosi about Bush Impeachment why you change the Party, it doesn't make sense to me. I am sure Sheehan needs professional Psychologist's help.

July 9, 2007 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  25. Greeley, CO

All of this for the son she never had time, nor cared for until AFTER he was dead..........hmmmm, she does sound like a true politician.

July 9, 2007 12:29 am at 12:29 am |