July 8th, 2007

Cindy Sheehan considering run against Pelosi

Cindy Sheehan is considering a run for Congress

(CNN) - Despite swearing off public life earlier this year, peace activist Cindy Sheehan would run against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as an independent in 2008 unless the speaker moves to impeach President Bush, a Sheehan spokeswoman said Sunday.

Sheehan, a northern California resident, is taking part in a protest caravan from President Bush's home in Crawford, Texas, to Washington, which is scheduled to arrive July 23. Spokeswoman Tiffany Burns told CNN that Sheehan would challenge the speaker, who has held her San Francisco-area seat since 1987, unless Pelosi introduces articles of impeachment before then.

There was no immediate reaction from Pelosi's office to Sheehan's threat. The speaker said in November that calls for impeaching Bush were "off the table," but that Congress would push for an end to the widely unpopular, 4-year-old war under Democratic control.

Sheehan achieved national attention when she camped outside Bush's home throughout August 2005 to demand a meeting with the president over her son's death. While Bush ignored her, the vigil made her one of the most prominent figures among opponents of the war.

But in May, after congressional Democratic efforts to set a March 2008 goal for a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq failed in the face of a presidential veto, Sheehan quit the anti-war movement in disgust and declared that her son Casey - a U.S. soldier killed in Baghdad in 2004 - had died "for nothing."

She said she was exhausted by the personal, financial and emotional toll her campaign had taken, disillusioned by the failure of Democratic politicians to end the war and tired of a peace movement she said "often puts personal egos above peace and human life."

Filed under: Iraq • Nancy Pelosi • President Bush
  1. kauli

Well she's angry with Washington as are many Americans.

Is she any less qualified than Sonny Bono's widow who stepped in upon his death? I don't think so.

July 9, 2007 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  2. jerry page, laguna hills, california

mrs sheehan is right: someone has to
    begin articles of impeachment against
    a fool who thinks he is king, answerable to noone, rather than a man
    elected to serve us all equally.

July 9, 2007 05:06 am at 5:06 am |
  3. David Bailey, Hyde England

Cindy Sheehan is a brave woman, and I respect her enormously for the stand she has taken against the totally counter-productive war that Bush and Blair chose to fight.

I am less certain that it would make sense to try to impeach Bush/Cheney unless, in the light of ever more evidence of Presidential wrong-doing, the Republican party comes to the same conclusion.

Unless this happens, as I understand it, an impeachment would fail to achieve the necessary majority, and might actually be taken by Bush as a sign from God that he is doing the right thing!

July 9, 2007 05:16 am at 5:16 am |
  4. Richard, Denver CO

I'll take anybody in congress that has a backbone. Pelosi does not. Sheehan is has qualified as anybody to serve this country and has every right to run.

July 9, 2007 05:17 am at 5:17 am |
  5. Anonymous, San Diego California

Let the nut job festival begin. Put Nancy and Cindy together and you almost have a complete brain. Of what species, I'm not sure. Cindy should hire Paris Hilton to be her campaign manager and they could create a documentary to cover it. We'll call it, "The "simple" life".

July 9, 2007 06:40 am at 6:40 am |
  6. John Bert, Monroe, MI

I thought we got rid of her...

July 9, 2007 06:49 am at 6:49 am |
  7. anonymous

I am not sure her son would be proud.

July 9, 2007 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  8. Greg Boudah ~ expat, US Marine in Thailand

The death of her son is tragic. The fact that Bush and OUR elected reps. managed to manipulate so many Americans and allies with Sadaams "WMD" lies is tragic and wrong. These two facts ALONE are worth an impeachment.
    Cindy is NOT the right person to stand up against Pelosi however, I hope someone with some intestinal fortitude stands up and says "Bush, YOU are responsible for this mistake and YOU need to be held accountable".
    What bothers me is that when Clinton lied about Monica.. he was held impeached ~ how the heck can us Americans let Bush get away with this? His lie didnt kill anyone!

July 9, 2007 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  9. Mary, Beaver, PA

Cindy is right. Bush and Cheney should both be impeached for their crimes against the Constitution and the American people. We are still waiting (and just might have to wait forever) for the Democrats to have a backbone. We have no opposition party in this country because Democrats are just as culpable as Republicans. However, there will never be a viable and strong third party in this country because Republicans and Democrats, despite their combative rhetoric, would rather the other side win than have third, fourth, or fifth parties come to power and offer us real choice.

July 9, 2007 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  10. Jim, Houston, TX

The definition of terrorism, unaltered:

the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.

July 9, 2007 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  11. P. B. Chicago, IL

This woman has totally gone off the deep end. No one takes her seriously, and I'm sorry about her son, I really am. But the fact of the matter is, her whole basis of protest is "do what I say before I annoy you to death." If I were Bush I wouldent have met with her either. If I were Pelosi, I would simply tell her to go to hell.
    The woman has severe emotional problems, and I cant really blame her – she lost a son and that has to be a parents worst nightmare.
    She needs professional help. The people in her life that are close to her need to stop encouraging this kind of behavior.

July 9, 2007 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  12. Bob, Phila, PA

This lady needs psych help...I am not in favor of the war, but impeachment is just silly.

July 9, 2007 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  13. Brad, Columbia, SC

Some real constructive comments from the Anti-Cindy crowd: she's crazy; go away lady; no one listens to her anymore (not true); she's an attention whore; [insert sexist comment here].

But they're missing the point, as the Pro-Cindy/Anti-Anti-Cindy crowd is demonstrating: the truth is Bush-Cheney have committed enough criminal acts to warrant at least hearings on impeachment. Cindy Sheehan, as an American, has the right to say these things and seek office if she chooses. The voters will decide her fate, not us internet comment board-dwellers.

At any rate, if being crazy were cause for removal from the public forum on important events, I wouldn't have to see Ann Coulter every other time I turn on the TV.

July 9, 2007 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  14. Donny Phillips

this is great ! hope she does and wins.
    That knocks pel out of her seat as house speaker and puts a newbie in the dems side w/o experience. win/win if she gets its

side note: sorry she lost her son in the war, but this has eaten her up and destroyed her life, I hope she is asking her self why she is continuing with this and waht her motive is

July 9, 2007 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  15. John,Ontario,Canada

The proposal of President Bush impeachement is very unrealistic.I understand the great loss sufferd by Mrs. Sheehan,but US military is built on volunteer basis.If we don't fight terorism today-and Irak war is just this kind of fight-tomorrow will be too late.

July 9, 2007 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  16. Colin Ball, Nelson, New Zealand

Ms Sheehan is absolutely right. Impeachment is the only appropriate tool with which any adequate correction can be internationally recognised.

July 9, 2007 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  17. Dick Moyer, Spring, TX

If I could afford to live in California she'd have my vote!

July 9, 2007 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  18. WDRussell, East Liverpool, Ohio

For those who posted without reading the story.
    Cindy is not running for Speaker, she might run for the seat held by Nancy Pelosi.

July 9, 2007 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  19. Eric, New Jersey

Cindy Sheehan represents the dangerous attitude that our country is somehow better off if we simply stay out of other countries affairs.

I sympathize with her loss of her child and I hope I never feel the same pain. Her methods of influencing change are not effective though.

I do not think Cindy nor many of her similarly-minded war critics comprehend the impact of pulling out of the middle east on the terms they are dictating.

July 9, 2007 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  20. Brandi, Meadville PA

There is one very strong reason not to impeach Bush: "President Cheney."

That being said, if the motion were to impeach both Bush and Cheney, I'd bet there'd be overwhelming support.

July 9, 2007 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  21. Greg, Raleigh NC

Even if she does beat Pelosi, she would just be another nut in the the congressional fruit basket.

July 9, 2007 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  22. kween Cohoes, NY

Sheehan's premise is all wrong. The Democrats haven't failed the American people on the issue of war. The Republicans have by putting a monkey wrench in any conversation about withdrawal until now when their own political futures are questionable. So, to go after Nancy Pelosi if she doesn't move to have Bush impeached is indeed dumb. I admire Sheehan for her initial contribution in trying to end the war, but now this is rather vengeful on her part. She's not really properly mourned the loss of her son, it seems. She'd best work on that.

July 9, 2007 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  23. F. Scott, Minneapolis, MN

I really hope Sheehan runs. Maybe a miniscule vote total, even in the ultra-left San Francisco district, will finally make her understand how far out of touch she is with actual voters. She's a "one trick pony", and only fringe voters are moved to cast their lot with them. I'm sure she's a nice lady, but it's been sad to see her try to stretch her 15 minutes of fame into a mini-series.

July 9, 2007 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  24. KDE, Washington, DC

Cindy Sheehan has chose to greive publically. When she didn't get the kind of support she had hoped for she blamed Bush and the GOP, then she blamed the democrats and finally the American people for not caring about "her campaign."

Please go back to your shattered life, pick up the pieces and carry on.

July 9, 2007 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  25. Phil Hillsboro,Texas

Why doesn't this woman just fade away? She has more people that don't like her not for her stance, but for complete disrespect for the office of the president,and now she is going after the speaker. I can't believe what she is doing.

July 9, 2007 09:04 am at 9:04 am |