July 8th, 2007

Cindy Sheehan considering run against Pelosi

Cindy Sheehan is considering a run for Congress

(CNN) - Despite swearing off public life earlier this year, peace activist Cindy Sheehan would run against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as an independent in 2008 unless the speaker moves to impeach President Bush, a Sheehan spokeswoman said Sunday.

Sheehan, a northern California resident, is taking part in a protest caravan from President Bush's home in Crawford, Texas, to Washington, which is scheduled to arrive July 23. Spokeswoman Tiffany Burns told CNN that Sheehan would challenge the speaker, who has held her San Francisco-area seat since 1987, unless Pelosi introduces articles of impeachment before then.

There was no immediate reaction from Pelosi's office to Sheehan's threat. The speaker said in November that calls for impeaching Bush were "off the table," but that Congress would push for an end to the widely unpopular, 4-year-old war under Democratic control.

Sheehan achieved national attention when she camped outside Bush's home throughout August 2005 to demand a meeting with the president over her son's death. While Bush ignored her, the vigil made her one of the most prominent figures among opponents of the war.

But in May, after congressional Democratic efforts to set a March 2008 goal for a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq failed in the face of a presidential veto, Sheehan quit the anti-war movement in disgust and declared that her son Casey - a U.S. soldier killed in Baghdad in 2004 - had died "for nothing."

She said she was exhausted by the personal, financial and emotional toll her campaign had taken, disillusioned by the failure of Democratic politicians to end the war and tired of a peace movement she said "often puts personal egos above peace and human life."

Filed under: Iraq • Nancy Pelosi • President Bush
  1. Anonymous

Cindy Sheehan is such a brave woman. She stands out while others in this country remain silent. You say the deaths of the soldiers is the price for freedom?! Do you really believe You are 'free'? Think carefully, you lost your freedom long ago.

July 9, 2007 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  2. KN Geneva, NY

Once you've felt the white hot spotlight, it's a little hard to return to obscurity. I feel so sad for her – but to say that her son "died for nothing"?? What a slap in the face to this brave young man and his sacrifice.

July 9, 2007 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  3. Curtis, Athens, Ohio

The main problem with the poll numbers involving Congress is that they represent Congress as a whole. Congress as a whole isn't popular very often, but the House re-elects 90% of its members each time they come up and the Senate re-elects 80%+ of its members. For having low collective numbers, people hate Congress but love their congressmen/women.

July 9, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  4. Vince - Florida

Hey Cindy!! I hope that you decide to run for Congress! Please let me know where I can send a contribution! It's time SOMEONE stood up to Bush and held him accountable for his lies. NO WMDs-NO WAR!! Bush misled us into war because 9/11 turned usually fearless Americans into a bunch of cowards that feel the need to hide behind George W!! Well, I stand with you and say that's just NOT GOOD ENOUGH! This man and his minions who were alledged to bring back "honor and dignity" to the White House is breaking laws and killing people faster than we can imagine!! Pelosi needs to GO!! If she can't do her job and remove a criminal from the White House, then she's as guilty as they are! It is a breach of his Oath of Office to spy on Americans without a FISA Warrant, torture people in the name of a "War on Terror". He told Congress that if they gave him the power to go to war with IRAQ, he'd get a UN resolution. He LIED again. This is all about the money for Cheney and the Oil for W!! Anyone who doesn't believe that is not even living in the real world!! GO CINDY GO!!!

July 9, 2007 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  5. Anonymous

The price for freedom...who's freedom?

July 9, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  6. Krafty, Plano Texas

Next she will run in the Miss America pagent.... Her chances in that race is probably better. This is all so ridiculous.

July 9, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. J St. Paul, MN

She can't be serious?

July 9, 2007 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  8. Robert Nemeth, Kansas City, Missouri

Go Cindy – Tell me where to send the donation. Pelosi was given the constitutional power of impeachment by the unprecedent victory voters handed to the demowimps in 2006. By refusing to even consider using this only form of constitutional accountability available to deal with the unlawful excesses of Cheney and Bush, the democrats forfeit any further or additional support in the form of votes and donations.
    The idea of a regular citizen running for public office as an independent does unsettle and apparently threaten many bloggers, but is what it takes to fight the military industrial media corporate 2 party monopoly spin machine that spoon feeds many non-thinkers their illogical conclusions.
    Cindy's running gives us a choice not just some TOKEN and TEPID opposition that rolls over on presidential command and seeks only its own political advantage. Robert Nemeth

July 9, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  9. William, Berkeley, Ca

I think she has a good Idea to put pressure on Pelosi to keep in step with the promises she made. However, as a flaming liberal myself, I cannot support an impeachment of Bush at this time. That would do the most dangerous thing our country has ever had to deal with...Cheney as president.

July 9, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  10. Barabas, Hot City, TX

I'm sorry Sheehan's son died, but he CHOSE to be in the military and follow orders. Sadly, one of those orders can be "go fight for your country." But he CHOSE that route. I didn't enlist because it is my choice to not risk my life in a war. Thank God there are soldiers who are willing to do that – I salute them. Sheehan is a disgrace to America. If she runs, her campaign will fall apart just like her "anti-Bush" protest did.

July 9, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  11. Michel Maren

She is not qualified to hold office which requires more knowledge, experience and diplomacy skills than being a war protestor.

July 9, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  12. Judith C. Pier, Albuquerque NM

I am outraged at Cindy Sheehan turning her efforts from the perpetrators of the horrid offenses that justifiably grieve her to assault the Democratic slim majority that is using all its powers to put curbs into effect. The idea that immediate action is the only satisfactory response from a legislator is absurd. Congress is by design a deliberative body. Actions have been taken and are ongoing, but one may not begin any trial without verifiable evidence and most of us who abhor the Bush administration actions as fascistic and totalitarian from the beginning, must admit that the tactics have succeeded in preventing that evidence their crimes be substantiated. We must trust the Constitutional process if we are to survive as a nation. Those criminals who now "rule us" will not be brought down by the likes of Sheehan, who left her most effective soapbox, but by the legislators who gather the evidence needed to proceed. Sheehan will only damage Congression efforts by condemning those who actually have the power to put a stop to the President and his minions. Her own failure to persist should not allow her to damn others who are working equally hard in their own arenas. If she wants to run for office fine, but to attack now is irresponsible.

July 9, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  13. -Keith

I still, for the life of me can not understand what grounds anyone could have to impeach Bush. Sure, I will agree with most that he may have not been one of our best presidents. However, I don't think any president can come out of any long war with a good record. It saddens me that the vast majority of Americans no longer have to constitution or endurance of a long conflict. I today's fast moving work, were people can communicate with anyone, anywhere, anytime we simply have lost all patience and endurance to ensure a job is done. I fear that if WWII happened today, we would all end up speaking German. Americans today just do not have it in them anymore to stay the fight and make sure that when we leave, that the next president / congress never has to think about going back.
    Do I like the fact that we are still in IRAQ, no. Would I willing wish upon on troops to stay there for x more months or years, no. But, that is what must be done. Has anyone stopped to think that if the administration and congress didn't fight constantly ,like two year olds over a toy, that we could have already got the job done?
    While I'm on this rant, I agree with a few comments made above. I do not think out current gov't (as a whole) has our best interest in mind, nor have they for quite some time. I , like allot of people here, would love to see an additional 3rd and possible a 4th party. Having 3-4 major parties would help ensure that no one party could have a simply majority, thus forcing them to work together.

One last thing for this rant. I am really sick of Dems vs Reps conflict. Since when do we all HAVE to agree on every single point in order to get along. Since when do we not feel the need to comprise with each other on some points in order to obtain a win-win strategy. We have over 301 billion people in this country, we are not always going to agree on everything. For instance, at this point in time I plan on voting for Gulianni. However, I don't not agree with him an allot of his points, (mainly gun control, but that's another blog) however, I believe he can be a very good president. I think he has some really good ideas about fiscal responsibility. I do not have to agree with him on everything for him to be my leader (It would be impractical / illogical to think that's possible) , that's what democracy and freedom are all about.
    For instance, I do not like what Ms. Sheehan stands for, I will not slam her, but lets just say that I would not vote at gun point. However, I would fight (to the death if needs be) for her to be able to voice her opinion and thoughts. We need to stop trying to attack everyone that has different views. If someone wants to protest / run for office/ have sit-in, it doesn't matter, it is their American right to do so. It is also our job as Americans to ensure that they are allowed, unobstructed, to do so.

July 9, 2007 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  14. takomaparkibc

Pelosi and the rest of the Dems and everyone else for that matter should follow Cindy Sheehan's lead. She is a courageous and selfless woman who has worked tirelessly for what is right. She speaks the truth and we should all support her. We should demand the Impeachment of Bush and Cheney and work to repair the damage done in our name and to restore our constitution and our reputation. Both parties are bought by corporations. We need a revolution.

July 9, 2007 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  15. woody wentworth Bellingham WA

Good for Cindy!
    If I lived in SF I'd vote for her and would support a call for a Bush impeachment. It's been too long since I've felt proud to be an American. Even my Canadian wife feels completely let down by our current administration.
    We need to remove Bush if he lied and broke laws and regain our honored place in the world.
    It's not just us anymore – the World deserves better leadership.

July 9, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  16. KLC

To the anonmymous writer on July 8th 2007: I think should you realize the power in which your words contain. Not only are they demeaning to women, but they our American people look primative and naive. Women have equal capabilities to men, although they may not be the same in all aspects, we can be just as hard and just as powerful. Look at the Margaret Thatcher. Could you dispute that she ruled in an 'emotional' fashion?

Please CNN, remove the comment of 'his'. To me, that is a message of hate and discrimination.

July 9, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. tracy, los angeles, ca

i think that sheehan is just trying to make a point. i don't think that she really thinks that she will win, but the mere fact that she is challenging pelosi publicly may raise consciousness and alert the unaware citizens of this country that impeachment is an option that peolsi is trying to ignore. i think that many people in this country and abroad that have lost their loved ones in this useless war are just as enraged and hurt by the actions of this president and his cabinet. i wish her luck but i know that her attempts for justice and righteousness are in vain. just like it will be a long time until we have a female president or an african american president either. as sad as it may seem, it is the reality of this country. i guess i'll just move to italy or greece and get back to my roots, because this country is a great dissappointment to me and my family.

July 9, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  18. Michael

I would Support any Independent running for anything in 2008. I'm so sick of the Dems. playing politics with my vote. I thought they would do something about this illegal war and (like John Kerry said) those crooks in the white house. Republicans have had 6 yrs to do something, but they just gave in to party politics. The hell with both parties (dems amd reps). I want people who will act as the people who elected them expected. I don't want amnesty, I don't want this war to continue, and I want to see Cheney and Bush's ass in jail for murder and lying to the American people (IMPEACH 'EM Both). So, if the Dems. want do it I'll vote for an Independent who will. The Dems. no longer have my vote. They have not done jack for the American people. They are to worried about illegal mexicans who cannot even vote. Also China and a few politians are make so much off of hard working American's who cannot afford the shit China is sending us. Sell out politicans are hurting our country. What would our fore fathers think of these CROOKS in WASHINGTON – DEMOCRATS and REPUBLICANS...

July 9, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. ReadBtwthlins

Congress gave Bush overwhelming authority to invade Iraq. They would have to impeach themselves to impeach him. Which is not going to happen..

July 9, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  20. Warsnotthansr

Terrorist all over the world are rooting for her..

July 9, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. mikeelliott1

I thought she was done with being an activist? Wouldn't this qualify as a protest candidacy?

July 9, 2007 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  22. Anonymous

That district is the home to some of the most hard-core liberal voters in the nation...so anything is possible.

It would amount to a protest vote.

July 9, 2007 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  23. anonymous, greenville, sc

What is wrong with all of you people? Virtually everyone who has posted a comment is as disillusioned as Cindy Sheehan. I am so sick and tired of everyone complaining about everyone decision made by the Bush administration.

I am equally tired of fools who complain about how we have lost all of our freedoms. If you feel you no longer have the same freedom as you did before I think you need to leave the United States, because it is clearly not the country for you. Maybe you would like to go to China or a Middle Eastern country – because both of those countries will not censor you at all. You can have as much freedom of speech as you want there. Or maybe you could go to Zimbabwe where they are having an economic boom. The point is I wish Americans could recognize the fact that we have been blessed. We have been blessed in the sense that we still have the best economy on this globe, the most feared military on the this globe, the most prosperous nation on this globe, and as far as I am concerned the best nation ever in the history of mankind. Can you maybe quit complaining about how you have been wronged and lied to? You are privilege to be here in the United States. We as Americans have been spoiled for so long we do not know what it is like to suffer. Even our poor are rich compared to global standards.

As far as the Bush administration goes, I support them. No administration will be perfect. Bush cannot make both sides happy. Someone will always be upset with a decision he makes. Can anyone ever think of an administration that had a 100% unanimous support? You cannot because it has never happened. Well wait there was that one time Jimmy Carter gave Panama the Panama Canal back. I think everyone unanimously agreed that his decision was a great idea. Bush has made mistakes as every president does, they are human. However, he has been a good president. Bush owes nothing to Sheehan, and he definitely should not be impeached – for what, his crimes against humanity? I think it is funny that people portray him as a Joseph Stalin or Adolf Hitler.

In closing I wish the media would not even give Sheehan the time of day. Because she can clearly, not be taken seriously.

July 9, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  24. Jon, Sacramento ~ CA

Cindy Sheehan to run for House Leader??

BHAAHAA HAA HAA (wiping away tears) – best laugh I've had this year.

July 9, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  25. Robert Janesville Wisconsin

The United States will not be a democracy until there are no Republicans or Democrats in our government. I would rather have a government of Sheehan's than the crap we have now. Cindy may not be a rocket scientist, but at least she is not a traitor.

July 9, 2007 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |