July 12th, 2007

Bush: Iraq benchmarks report 'cause for optimism'

President Bush answers reporters' questions about Iraq Thursday during a White House news conference.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A report on U.S.-set benchmarks for Iraq shows "satisfactory progress" in eight areas, while highlighting that there's "more work to do" in other areas, President Bush said Thursday.

"Of the 18 benchmarks Congress asked us to measure, we can report that satisfactory progress is being made in eight areas," Bush said during a White House news conference.

Iraqis "have provided the three brigades they promised for operations in and around Baghdad," said the president. However, Iraqis have "not done enough to prepare for local elections or pass a law to share in oil revenues."

Full story

Time.com: Can Bush Save the Surge?

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Mike, Al Quaeda is Sunni FYI

July 12, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  2. jack

George keeps talking about "winning" and he seems to have this rosy view that if given just a little more time the tribes in Iraq that have hated each other for hundreds of years will all come together and be our world partners! Is there anyone in this country (other than George) that think this has any possibility of happening?

July 12, 2007 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. bret, atl, ga

It was a mistake to go in there, it's a mistake to stay. Nothing is made any better by us being there, nothing says things will automatically get worse (one wonders how they could) if we leave, and we have every reason to believe things might get a lot better with us gone.

– Ron Paul.

July 12, 2007 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  4. Luis, Miami Florida

give it to George W. The man who gave you no child left behind...8 satisfactory out of 18. That is 44% and is a failing grade on any test. That means no funds?
    Come on George W. Your legacy is compromised on this war... remember what Colin Power told you.. if you brake it you own it....
    MR Bush you own this one.
    bring our soldiers home....

July 12, 2007 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Jeff, Houston, Texas

I am almost at a point of saying, yes, we are stuck in this quagmire and it is going to take a very long time to undo what has been done.

But, may we please, please, get someone else in charge?

Even a republican, one with an education, and not one with over blown opinion of himself.

But I should not be all negative. At least we are all safe from gay marriage, major corporations can still ship jobs overseas, our borders are as empty and wide as the space between our exhalted leader's ears. Whew! I can sleep better now!

Its not just the war folks. Look at EVERYTHING he is doing to us.

July 12, 2007 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  6. Bob, San Francisco, CA

Shawnie-

I'll answer one of your questions addressed to Pete about unbiased news. First of all, I completely agree with you that all major news networks can do better jobs in investigative reporting and not give any attention to distractions like Paris Hilton. However, when you use the term "liberal media", which is a lame, conservative-invented buzzword, it reveals your own bias. With that in mind, I doubt you used to be "one of us".
    What geography lesson did you take that all of a sudden made you support this war? Perhaps in that lesson somewhere you would have learned that we poured gasoline on the fire by trying to take over a country for oil. You see, when we do something like this, the only people who don't realize the evil of such an act are the ignorant (i.e., those who buy into the propaganda of the Neo Cons). There is a good reason why the majority of the world despises the US now.

Oh, to answer your question: Check out the NEWS HOUR on PBS, or NPR on the radio. You might dismiss those as "liberal media" as well, but they're not; people use that blanket term for any journalism that does not support a right-wing agenda.

July 12, 2007 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. Brendose, Oceanside CA

Funny, I was listening to his speech in the morning, then go online and see that Al Qaeda is as strong as pre-9/11.......Does anyone really believe Bush anymore? Well America, we dug our own grave, now me must lie in it. I hope everyone is happy that they voted for Bush 2 TIMES. "There's an old saying in Tennessee – I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee – that says, fool me once, shame on – shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." I think that Bush quote sums up our nation's thought process! Please, someone with a brain run for president!!!!!

July 12, 2007 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  8. RightyTighty

Satisfactory progress. 8/18 goals completed. Thats more than can be said for our public education system. Time to abandon it too..?

July 12, 2007 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  9. ReadBtwthlins

More proof of a bias press was on full display at this conference. What a disgusting example of prgressive corruption our media has become.

July 12, 2007 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  10. MediaJunkie, Washington, DC

I agree that the war has turned into a quagmire, and that the reasons for going to war have turned out to be false. But to be honest, not a lot of time has been given to Bush's troop build-up strategy. It seems some members of the GOP are changing their minds in a matter of weeks after supporting the strategy. It's an unpopular war, but we made the mess and we need to clean it up. I don't know that the troop surge is the answer, but I don't know that setting a withdrawal date is the answer either.

July 12, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  11. SFT, Orlando, Florida

Numerous comments are being made on the consequences of pulling out of an unwinable war in Iraq. Exact same comments, with fears every bit as strong as today's, were made about Viet Nam [no, we've no monopoly today on fearing outside threats]. 60,000+ dead U.S. soldiers later, we did pull out of Viet Nam. None of the feared consequences; all of the dead soldiers. History can't always predict the future but it sure can make it easier to evaluate potential consequences of our actions. It can also help us better understand that many potential consequences of reversing mistaken actions aren't as likely as we either fear or are convinced to fear. In this case, it's too late to utilize history for the former but not too late to use it to evaluate the latter.

July 12, 2007 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. Mike, Corpus Christi Texas

How bout that picture at the top, with that smug look, and that smirk, well by God, you just know what Der Fuhrer is thinking! Looking back at the previous elections, I'm proud I voted for Al Gore and John Kerry! Interesting that our Canadian friends call him a 'shrub,' that's original!

July 13, 2007 05:28 am at 5:28 am |
  13. Marilyn Hegarty, Twain Harte, Calirornia

I am feedup with King Bush this is a
    country by the people and for the
    people not for dictator Bush.

July 13, 2007 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Bob-

"However, when you use the term “liberal media”, which is a lame, conservative-invented buzzword, it reveals your own bias. With that in mind, I doubt you used to be “one of us”."

I believe that you just revealed your bias as well.

Bob, Wow, that was a very nicely worded, condescending reply. Who is "one of us"? Who decides who is "one of us"?

I don't have a lot of respect for people who impune the thoughts and motives of others. People are so complex that we rarely get it right.

Despite your doubts, my story is real. I disapproved of Bush and have been quite bothered by our presence in Iraq for a long time now.

What adjectives would you use to describe the media? Liberal and conservative are generally accepted words not intended to insult anyone. They describe an ideology, a general stance or approach. Two things I am certain of, the conservative media is quite the minority (and not a lame liberal invented buzzword). I am also sure as heck we don't have a balanced media, so if "liberal media" is an incorrect term, what is the correct word? Democratic? If the media predominantly supports supports a left-wing agenda, what is the proper reference to that media slant?

It is OK to acknowledge that the media tends to favor the "one of us" side of the aisle. And at times, might be out of balance – as in the case of the Irag war, not asking enough "What happens if we pull out?" questions. The consequences could be far worse than anyone bargained for.

There is a very good video segment on this Blog that appeared today and describes in part what I have been learning as of late. "What if US pulls out of Iraq? It deserves more investigation. It deserves a good thorough run through since a lot of people want to do just that.

July 13, 2007 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. Bob, San Francisco, CA

Shawnie-

Your point is well taken, and I mostly agree with you. I wish the media would ask better questions myself. I do think, however, that there are some good reports within the mainstream media that still keep it relevant. Otherwise, what are we both doing here on a CNN blog?

Yes, I suppose I did reveal my own bias...ooops!
    Cheers,

July 13, 2007 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  16. Mary Brennan, Fort Washington, MD

We must wait to hear from General Petraeus on the Iraq situation. We only undermine his work and urge Al Qaeda to kill more of our troops by wimpering about failure. Iraqi civilians are joining the fight against Al Qaeda which means they feel confident enough to defy the terrorists. That is the best indicator of success!!!! We can't betray them like we did to the Vietnamese.

July 14, 2007 01:45 am at 1:45 am |