July 13th, 2007

Obama takes a page from Oprah

Watch CNN’s Abbi Tatton report

WASHINGTON (CNN) - In a new campaign tactic this week, Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama's campaign began promoting a series of book clubs in the key primary state of New Hampshire.

CNN Internet Reporter Abbi Tatton has a closer look at exactly what they're reading.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Sara Caldwell, Nevada

Book clubs are not new to the campaign. They are common groups started by supporters.

July 12, 2007 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  2. Sam Koliyah Coatesville Pa

That Is Smart I Love It

July 12, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  3. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

A book club! How nice! (Sarcasm)

July 12, 2007 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  4. Stewart Austin TX

I have read both books because I was curious about Obama. I read Dreams first expecting it to be fairly dull reading. I was amazed.He is a great writer. It was written immediately after he left Harvard Law so it was long before he ran for any office.I enjoyed it a lot.Audacity of Hope is equally brilliant. Participation in a Dreams or Hope book group would be very interesting.

July 13, 2007 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  5. shawn

the last thing we need is any more comments out of that fat chick rosie odonalls black sister

July 13, 2007 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  6. Loyda, Santurce, PR

quite smart... after all, if he does not get the nomination, at least he will be richer, thanks to the royalties!!!!! a win-win situation for someone I believe is being financed by the REPUBLICANS as a strategy to weaken Hillary... hehehe

July 13, 2007 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  7. Lavelle

I really think loyda is crazy! kids only say stuff just to say them. When will we grow up and take things seriously?

July 13, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  8. Moses, Cincinnati, Ohio

People who shout when they have nothing to say will soon eat their word. Barack Obama is in to suprise Thomases and those who lead them around. This coming presidential election will put lots of people to shame. Those who wish to shout may continue doing so, and they may continue telling themselves how well Hillary performs in the polls, but just wait and the see. If you think anyone can run faster than his shadow, then continue dreaming. The force is coming and it's the will of the Father.

July 13, 2007 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  9. Azizon, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

what is it about the republican party that seems to attract big time self righteous hypocrites? everytime someone gets caught of doing something naughty....you know it's some republican somewhere. And this is the party that claim to be the moral compass.....what a joke, just like the president lol

July 13, 2007 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  10. Seth Goldstein, Nashville TN

That is ridiculous, who cares about a book club from a guy running for President? This sounds like a cheap ploy to sell books. This guy won't get the nomination anyway because as far as we have come in race relations, Americans are not ready for a black president. I am not sure they are even ready for a woman president. I would love him or Hillary to be elected, but I don't know if it will happen. I think John Edwards is the best bet.

July 13, 2007 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  11. Pamela Brown

Can this guy do or say ANYTHING original?! All of his proposals are either Edwards-Lite or Clinton-Lite. His only original proposal was to after being elected to spend 50 Billion (that's right BILLION) on global education. Not U.S education but global. Now he is doing an Oprah-Lite? What kind of kool-aid are these people drinking out here?

July 13, 2007 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  12. Frank Johnson, Dayton, Ohio

Having read "The Audacity of Hope" I am supporting Barack Obama because he's a clear thinker and has the right idea about how to bring the country together. If people want to get to know Obama better, they should read his book. And, if you don't want to buy it, check it out of your local library.

July 13, 2007 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  13. Andrea, Lincolnton NC

The media especially cnn will write anything as long it is good press for Obama. Even something as stupid as this.

July 13, 2007 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  14. Timmy, Berlin, CT

At least the democrats read.

July 13, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  15. Ernest Dickinson, North Truro, MA

Fox News caught Clinton and edwards plotting to try to oust the lowere ier of candidates from future debates. Kosynich is outragaed by thr "Imperial candi" Where is CNN coverage??

July 13, 2007 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  16. Justin, Richmond KY

John Edwards did that two years ago or so, when he was trying to keep his supporters involved, he by so by promoting books about poverty and getting his supporters to discuss them–I'm not sure how successful those were, I don't particularly think people will get involved in the political process because of a book club, but its nice to see that the presidential candidates at least have an idea of how to promote literacy–more than I can say for the current occupant of the White House.

July 13, 2007 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Bill, Covina, California

I hope the books Obama chooses are not as vague and misleading as he is. He is a great dancer.......around questions that is.

July 13, 2007 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  18. Ann Dothan Alabama

Ohh Bama is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations /Those who think he is right for America's future should look into The North American Union and the Amero. For a quick update Obama has pledged along with Billery and Edwards that they will work towards getting rid of the borders and instituting a common money. But lets forget that and praise his new book club?? Ann

July 13, 2007 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  19. James Atlanta GA

Maybe he should point out some nice books on basic economics. That way he can read along with his supporters and find out why government intervention into the economy, high tax-rates, and protectionist trade policies are WRONG! Maybe start out with John Smith's "Wealth of Nations." It was written a couple hundred years ago, so Obama really needs to catch up.

July 13, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  20. Glenda Webb, McEwen, TN

Tried to contact Obama on behalf of my Sailor and the abuse he suffered in Obama's home state and was turned away. How will he help the country when he refuses to help my son. Please help me help my son come home. Write to Joe R. Campa on behalf of the discharge for seaman Apprentice Webb, that he will push the papers to send my son home. His fax number is 7036973594. God bless

July 13, 2007 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. Chris in Thorofare, NJ

What are Obama's political credentials again?

One also has to ask – who are these groups donating super millions to Obama and what do they want in return? Why is it seen as a good thing when multimega corporations donate so much to a candidate when it is a red flag that he is bought and sold by said companies?

But he sure can smile! And run a book club. Let's elect him to the presidency during one of the most important eras in America.

Please don't fall for media flash and more of the same. Look into Ron Paul!

July 13, 2007 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. Marsha, Portland, Oregon

Obama is so egotistical – I'm going to start a book club, and your first assignment is to read a book that I wrote all about me! And the next book will be about me too!!

July 13, 2007 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  23. Arturo Gomez Universal City,Tx 78148

Orack Hussein Obama is the hope of the Republican Party to be the nominee, that is why they are puting money into his campaign like they did to Lieberman. The Republican fears Clinton so they are banking on the news media to inflate Hussein.

July 13, 2007 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  24. Cathy, La Jolla, CA

Ann from Alabama should rethink joining a book club herself? Her "facts" are not based in reality...try going to a candidate's website, town speech or try this…reading their books to obtain their policies...not quoting sound bites from talk radio. Your "facts" are simply wrong.

July 14, 2007 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  25. John, Chicago

I will never vote for a gun grabber like Obama. I will never vote for a Big Government lover like Obama. I will not read his books and I will not listen to his propaganda.

July 14, 2007 07:36 am at 7:36 am |