McCain said Friday he is confident he will win the GOP nomination.
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Despite a shrinking staff and nearly depleted funds, Sen. John McCain said Friday his presidential bid is still headed to victory.
“We go to the town hall meetings, we fix our financial difficulties, and we win,” the Arizona Republican told reporters while campaigning in the crucial primary state of New Hampshire. “I am very confident; you can see the response you get here today from the people in New Hampshire.”
The GOP presidential hopeful also brushed aside suggestions he no longer has adequate recourses to compete in the early primary states after several key staff members departed following bleak second-quarter fundraising numbers and excessive spending.
"We've always had relatively small staff and we've never been able to compete on money. We'll win the same way we almost won in 2000," the Arizona Republican told reporters.
Asked about possible misspending by campaign staffers, in light of his years railing against misspending by Congress, McCain said, "When I see mistakes, I correct them."
McCain also acknowledged his stances on some of the most controversial issues have dogged his campaign. "My position on immigration was obviously not helpful with the Republican base," he said. McCain was among a bipartisan group of senators that worked out compromise legislation aimed at overhauling U.S. immigration laws. The bill was ultimately defeated in Congress, partly because many conservatives rallied against it, arguing it offered "amnesty" to illegal immigrants.
He added, "I think my position on the war in Iraq has obviously at least not been helpful with independents."
McCain has been a very public advocate of keeping U.S. troops in Iraq.
Now that Ron Paul has more cash than McCain, can CNN finally cover him???
I certainly hope he does not win the Republican nomination. It would just verify two things.
Just like McCain insisting on allowing 20 million illegals citizenship going against the will and wishes of most Americans, his nomination would be against the will and wishes of the vast majority of Republicans and the American people.
If he were to get the nomination it would guaranty the Republicans would not regain the Whitehouse.
Then maybe it would be good for him to get the nomination. It would almost assure an independent was elected. Come on Lou. run for president. The only votes you would get is the 80% of Americans that are fed up with both parties, the president and the congress. The other two parties, Democrat and Republican could split the remaining 20%.
Great point Ian. Lets see what happens.
John McCain lost the nomination when he rushed to Liberty University to receive the holy unction of Father Falwell and bent down to kiss the fundamentalist ring. Everyone knew this was pure hypocrisy, a la Sen. Vitter. Hypocrites and adulterers God will judge. Or, at least, the voters will. Negatively.
According to Shakespeare," A dagger in man's smile." " A man may smile and smile and smile, and still be a villain." "to be or not to be, that's the question." Shakespeare is not only a writer, but also a psychologist(metaphorically). So he knew human psyche, and that is JOHN MCCAIN.
Go John Go! Thank you for being willing to lead and do what is in the common interest of Americans on the tough issues.
His support of amnesty and a futile war, two major issues the public has spoken loud and clear about, would indicate that he doesn't have the people's interests at heart anymore. Therefore, it baffles me that he would still expect the people to support him. He also seems to be in time warp because he keeps talking about what he did in year 2000. I see all cards stacked against him, money or no money. The press should start giving more coverage to people who have a chance. I'm interested in learning more about the viable candidates.
Jeez, I was starting to worry- hadn't seen a "mccain is imploding" article in about a day.
Watching this veteran self-destruct by embracing the war and amnesty for illegals is an act of political torture upon Americans. Please bow out gracefully now Senator.
Turn out the lights the partys ober