July 14th, 2007

McCain confident despite campaign woes

McCain campaigned in New Hampshire Saturday.

(CNN)–Capping off a week of challenging news for his presidential campaign, Senator John McCain seemed somewhat unfazed by all the developments. "I've had tough times in my life. This is a day at the beach compared to some others," the Republican from Arizona, and former prisoner of war said at a campaign stop Saturday.

After the departure of several key staff members, and disappointing second quarter fund raising numbers, it was also revealed that the campaign only had $2 million in the bank, but he also has nearly two million in debts. Still, after raising more than $20 in the first six months of the year, McCain still expressed confidence in the viability of his campaign.

"I know how to campaign. In the state of New Hampshire, I can win in New Hampshire as I did in 2000. And I know that I can and I know that I will," he said to an audience in Claremont, New Hampshire. "I never was going to rely on money to win this campaign. I never was a good fund raiser, I'll admit it," he continued. "But I can out campaign any of these guys, and I will, and I can, and we're going to be doing just fine."

More departures from the campaign may be imminent. CNN has learned more staff members are expected to leave by Monday. A source tells CNN's Candy Crowley at least one senior staff member is among those who plan to call it quits.

McCain also campaigned in New Hampshire on Friday as well.

– CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Filed under: John McCain • New Hampshire • Race to '08
  1. Eric Rife, San Diego, CA

According to CNN's report on John McCain's campaign woes, "Still, after raising more than $20 in the first six months of the year, McCain still expressed confidence in the viability of his campaign."

That's amazing! That girl scout car wash is really starting to pay off!

July 14, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  2. W.McCain, Toronto, Ontario

he's all done

July 14, 2007 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  3. Glenda, McEwen, TN

He is no longer a contender as far as I'm concerned. I had an issure and called his local office and was sent elsewhere for help when he sits on the Armed Services Committee. Thanks to my son's training by the Navy's finest in boot camp he is now a patient on the psychiatric ward of a hospital in Pensacola Fl. He joined to Navy to work for his country and to get an education. He wanted to be a doctor. But that won't happen now. And Mr. McCain turned down the chance to help this lost sailor find his way to shore. So, how can I put any faith in him to take care of America if he can't help one still on our soil?

July 15, 2007 04:11 am at 4:11 am |
  4. cliff jones, honolulu hi

Well, he wanted to be like Bush. His true colors are showing Stubbornness and more stubbornness.

July 15, 2007 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  5. Providence, RI

He is two-faced! "Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under't" (Macbeth- act I, Scene V). He is JOHN MCCAIN.

July 15, 2007 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  6. JOHN DEAR

HOW COULD JOHN McCAIN SUPPORT A MAN LIKE PRESIDENT GOERGE BUSH, WHEN DURING 2000 PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN GEORGE BUSH AND HIS CORRUPT SUPPORTERS WERE THE MAIN CAUSE TO DESTROY AND TERMINATE THE POLITICAL OPPORTUNITIES OF JOHN McCAIN FOR ONCE AND FOR EVER.
    SEN. JOHN NcCAIN'S POLITICAL FUTURE IS IS OVER AND HE IS WASTING HIS RESOURCES AND HIS TIME FOR SOMETHING THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, BECAUSE THOSE WHO DESTROYED HIM IN 2000 ARE BEHIND THE SCENE AGAIN. AS A REPUBLICAN, I WANT TO RELAY A FRIENDLY ADVICE TO DEN JOHN McCAIN, FORGET THE 2008 PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN, YOU HAD YOUR BEST CHANCE IN 2000 AND YOU FAILED WHEN YOU WERE AT YOUR BEST. ENJOY WASHINGTON D.C. AND RETIRE.

July 15, 2007 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  7. Jack Jett, Dallas TX

Anyone who has a campaign manager that has to PAY to GIVE a BJ is pretty far down of the food chain.
    I assume he goes home and kisses his wife and kids with that same mouth.

Ahhhh......Family values.

I assume that CNN and Sanjay Gupta will explain to us how this is normal and okay.

CNN is going down the toilet if they don't get rid of Gupta and that annoying as hell Lou "one note" Dobbs.

Jack Jett

July 15, 2007 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  8. Leon M. Schochet Tucson,AZ

I have been trying with no no results to find out the current health of McCain. I think voters are entitled to know about any problems bot past and present out next president may have. Is this asking too much?

July 15, 2007 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  9. Rick, Chicago Illinois

Jack Jett, Dallas TX ... "CNN is going down the toilet if they don’t get rid of Gupta and that annoying as hell Lou “one note” Dobbs."

1) This isnt a thread on Sanjay Gupta or Lou Dobbs, and 2) if you don't like them, then don't watch CNN.

Something tells me CNN will get by just fine without your viewership!

July 16, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |