Actor Tony Sirico of “The Sopranos” gave to Giuliani last quarter.
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Celebrity donors. You know they're out there. But finding them in those Federal Election Commission reports buried among tens of thousands of celebrity-impaired Americans can be a royal pain in the Oscar.
But we at the CNN Political Ticker have painstakingly reviewed the latest batch of presidential fundraising disclosures and have compiled that information in convenient list form, complete with bullet points.
Click below for The Ticker's list of celebrity donors.
HILLARY CLINTON (D)
* Ruby Dee, actress: $250
* Danny DeVito, actor: $2,300
* Fran Drescher, TV's "The Nanny": $2,300
* Joely Fisher, actress $4,600
* Tom Hanks, actor: $2,300
* Ed Helms, actor, “Andy Bernard” in NBC’s “The Office”: $250
* Sharon Lawrence, "NYPD Blue" co-star: $1,000
* Tobey Maguire, actor $4,600
* Marla Maples, actress: $1,000
* Paul Newman, actor: $4,600
* Rhea Perlman, actress $2,300
* Pauly Shore, actor $1,000
* Ben Stiller, actor $6,900 ($4,600 is the legal limit)
* George Takei, actor $1,000
* Lily Tomlin, actress $2,000
* Rita Wilson, actress $2,300
* Joanne Woodward, actress $4,600
CHRIS DODD (D)
* John Lithgow, actor: $1000
* Christy Romano, actress, singer, voice of “Kim Possible”: $300
JOHN EDWARDS (D)
* Oliver Stone, director: $500
* Mary Steenburgen, actress: $2300
* Ben Stiller, actor: $4600
* Peter Coyote, actor: $1054
* Sharon Lawrence, actress: $1000
MIKE GRAVEL (D)
* Mark Ruffalo, actor: $700
BARACK OBAMA (D)
* Adam Arkin, actor $250
* Paul Dooley, actor $2,300
* Jodie Foster, actress $1,000
* Jamie Foxx, actor $2,300
* Martha Hackett, “Star Trek” actress $2,300
* Bruce Hornsby, singer $2,300
* Anna Horsford, “Amen” actress $500
* Cedric “The Entertainer” Kyles, actor $2,500
* Eriq La Salle, actor $500
* Paul Newman, actor $4,600
* Tom Skerritt, actor $1,000
* Jean Smart, actress $4,600
* Jada Smith, actress $4,600
* Will Smith, actor $4,600
* David Sutcliffe, “Gilmore Girls” Actor $1,250
* Isaiah Washington, former “Grey’s Anatomy” Actor $2,300
* Joanne Woodward, Actress $4,600
DENNIS KUCINICH (D)
* Shelley Morrison, actress (“Rosario” on “Will and Grace”): $1600
* Alexandra Paul, actress, “Baywatch” co-star: $1300
* Deirdre Hall, “Days of Our Lives” actress: $1000
* Hector Elizondo, actor: $300
BILL RICHARDSON (D)
* Michael Douglas, actor: $3100
* Val Kilmer, actor: $2300
* Paul Newman, actor: $2300
* Edward James Olmos, actor: $2300
* Wendie Malick, “Just Shoot Me” actress: $500
* Steven Spielberg, director: $2300
* Kate Capshaw, actress, wife of Steven Spielberg: $2300
* Jodie Foster, actress: $1000
* Christie Brinkley, self-described as “Model/Mom/Environmental activist”: $500
* Bette Midler, actress/singer: $4600
* Sherry Lansing, former film executive: $2300
* William Friedkin, director: $2300
* James L. Brooks, producer/writer: $1000
RUDY GIULIANI (R)
* Tony Sirico, actor, “Paulie Walnuts” on “The Sopranos”: $1000
* Melissa Gilbert, actress: $4600
After spending a few years in L.A., I must say, where celebrities spend their money is not of any importance to me. By their own career choice, actors are generally the least (formally) educated cross/section of society. Much like signing a pitcher out of high school, I personally wouldn’t consider this group in a position of influencing my decisions on many topics other than maybe “lighting”, perhaps.
Posted By Bobby Vassallo : July 16, 2007 12:41 pm
I'd agree with you Bobby but I know from personal experience ... they don't know about that either. Not all are braindead ...but most are. Most are.
While he is very annoying, Pauly Shore is doing fine financially I suspect. His mother Mitzi Shore owned the legendary Comedy Store in West Hollywood on the Sunset Strip, which he now controls. It was the launching pad for MANY comedians. Raised in Beverly Hills, he was already wealthy before he even started a 'career'. He still is a touring headline and produced his own movie Pauly Shore is Dead that got some really good reviews.
So yeah, he's a goof but he's not completely destitute as some of you think.
Such tension, such hate, such feuding, I can't believe it! I mean, seriously people, BACK OFF PAULEY SHORE ALREADY! Geez.
Please also give out the "actors" or "celebs", etc who gave to all Republican candidates. As of today, I belive that there are more than just Giuliani running as candidate for the GOP
another friend of rudy who has been tainted by scandal or criminal activity...why do people think he is such a man of ethics and reform?
To: GOP Columbus, OH
They returned the things.
The ones that were not returned are the "W"s taken by Gore's staffs.
My analysis of the lists:
Paul Newman and his wife Joanne Woodward each gave $4,600 to Hillary and Obama but only Paul gave to Bill Richardson. Looks like Bill's a bigger consumer of Paul's foods.
Ben Stiller gave $6,900 to Hillary but, as you note, $4,600 is the legal limit. But he gave $4600 to Edwards, so I guess someone clued him in on the rules.
The news needs to give equal air time to Republicans and Democrats.
In this article, only one republican is listed... Guliani...
However, Adam Sandler, and Kelsey Grammer have both given money to Guliani, but they aren't listed.
But "no name" actors are listed under democrats.
CNN... GIVE EQUAL SHARE TO BOTH PARTIES.
We must be considered a fairly superficial audience for CNN to give this type of article top billing.
Are you tired of the role big money plays in the political process?
Be a part of the new movement. Visit http://www.freepoliticalparty.com for additional details. Contribute to the platform (questions and ideas, not money) of a new party free of the influence and entangling alliances associated with the fundraising process. My fellow Americans, together we can collaborate and achieve great goals!
Would you like to add any more Republican Candidates or is Hollywood really this narrow minded? This just proves you don't have to be smart to be an "actor".
Does this really count as news? Are you kidding me? This is like a combination of The New Republic and the National Inquirer... CNN has done it again!
Gee CNN. Your information highway is endless. Endless with drivel that no one much cares about. I challenge everyone of those celebrities to look into Dr. Ron Paul. After they do, I assure you that's where their dollars will go. I'm a democrat, but I'll be voting Republican this time around. Ron Paul in '08!!
Maytak....Yeah I agree, calling Democrats elite is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. And the democrats are more in tune for sure with the American public, hell if it wasnt for Al Gore I would never have known about this Global Warming Thing, I mean seriously you would think many scientist and other environmental agencies would have been looking at this stuff for the last 30 years.....where have they been?
Wow, all the money in Hollyweird and thats all they could fork up. Not only are they stupid they are tight. I would have expected them to at least donate the max allowed by law. But only a few did. Oh well I gave $25.00 to FRED. But I don't have quite the check book of these folks.
why is everyone so mad at this list? i doubt the intention here was award winning reporting...it's basically an us weekly article...relax.
It's very discouraging to read, yet again, another informational and objective piece of news media that is responded to so hatefully and contemptuously by Republicans. The fact that Democrats are exponentially ahead in fundraising efforts for the Presidential campaign and that they have not one but two candidates with general population vote count double that of the next closest Republican candidate resonates like victory in the air to me and countless millions of other Americans who are looking forward to the return of leadership in the United States.
Reading these posts makes me sad. I love how democrats think that big corporations only donate to republicans, just silly. I also love how republicans think that hollywood only supports democrats, again silly.
Granted, most "actors" are liberal and as mentioned in one post, "uneducated," and these are the demographics that make up part of the democratic base, so why would anyone be surprised that hollywood supports the party that is more concerned with secularizing America than building strong values.
This is just one man's observation. And if you haven’t figured it out I am a CONSERVATIVE, not a republican. I have to vote republican to get the best CONSERVATIVE in office. That by the way is Fred Thompson.
I don't get the purpose or interest in this topic; neither from a newsdesk/reporter nor a public perspective. How entertainers donate to political candidates is about as important to me as which cereal they chose for breakfast (doesn't even register on a scale.) A news organization has demonstrated that people will be interested in what they tell them to be interested.
Wow, big surprise. Hollywood's a liberal safehaven... It's not as if the evidence hasn't been there for years, all we've got now is numbers to put with the names.
In the TV presentation of this article it was stated that Mark Ruffalo isn't much a celebrity, but Mike Gravel "isn't much of a candidate, either". I would like to know where the fair and balanced news of CNN got THAT information. Mike Gravel's campaign is one of substance, where "politics as usual" does not prevail. Gravel has way more policy beliefs and way more conviction than the other candidates – how is a person who honestly has a vision for the United States of America "not much of a candidate"?
Polly who? It's good to know that I can cancel out any one of these largely unemployed, washed-up, has-been, untalented jerks with my $$.
All dems and a couple mentions for Giuliani – NOW, who's b1tching about Fox not being "fair and balanced"?!
Who cares! there are more important issues like the health care system, the war that is lost already, our soldiers, the school system in the U.S.
You can look up anyone on this site
Who cares what Hollywood gives to politicans...if we listened to what Hollywood tells us–we'd be mindless idiots.