July 16th, 2007

McCain's communications team out

McCain faced more staff resignations Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. John McCain's embattled presidential campaign took another hit Monday when almost his entire press shop resigned their posts.

The decision by Brian Jones, Danny Diaz, Matt David, research director Brian Rogers and South Carolina press secretary Adam Temple to step down was not unexpected, but was yet another sign the Arizona senator will have to rebuild a campaign - that once boasted a roster filled with some of the GOP's most talented political operatives - from scratch.

"It has been my sincere honor and privilege to serve Senator John McCain," Diaz wrote in his departure email. "Best of luck to each and every one of you in the days and weeks ahead."

Today's resignations come less than one week after several senior staffers including Campaign Manager Terry Nelson and Chief Strategist John Weaver stepped down when the Arizona senator sought to restructure the campaign operation.

Moving forward, McCain's New Hampshire spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker will head the press shop, while longtime confidante Rick Davis will lead the campaign.

– CNN's Mark Preston and Candy Crowley

Related: McCain war chest larger than expected

TIME.com: John McCain, Maverick No More

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Please stop

Unfortunately in this country money is the only thing that gets you close to presidency and 2.5 mil "in the bank" wont do it. We are tired of hearing about this guy in every story that has nothing to do with him.

July 16, 2007 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  2. Ben, Nashville TN

Well, make that 4 Ron Paul supporters. I have number 5 sitting next to me in my office. Ron Paul's only drawback right now is a lack of name recognition. I'm not trying to spam, but I ask that those of you who disregard Paul please just visit his website ronpaul2008.com and watch the 'freedom is popular' video. If you do that and come back with complaints, works for me. I think many are writing him off without even finding out who he is firsthand.

July 16, 2007 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. nv

Jay, how do you explain the 20,000+ volunteers in Ron Paul's grass roots campaign?

This revolution is very real.

July 16, 2007 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  4. Mike, HI

"no one cares about McCain or RON PAUL. CNN stop telling us about a fate that is already determined. And DR. Paul supports stop pushing a man who we all know has no chance."

Woohoo! That's the voice of democracy!

July 16, 2007 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  5. Paul Hinrichs, Ventura, CA

Partial text of a letter I faxed to McCain this morning: "There's no fool like an old fool. Give it up, old man. I'm nearly seventy years old; I know whereof I speak."

July 16, 2007 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  6. Rich, Los Angeles, CA

The best candidate out there is Dr. Paul. The rest are all jokes and are bought and paid for, take from special interest groups, and so on and so on.

The Bush regimes needs to be wiped out permanently. Impeach Cheney and throw his ass in prison before he has another heart attack.

July 16, 2007 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  7. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

Senator McCain is a true patriot that has served his country well...but his time as a viable presidential candidate has passed. Someone, perhaps his wife, should tell him to bow out gracefully.

July 16, 2007 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  8. Joe Ramos in Los Angeles

A Soldier Reflects

A marvelous letter in the July 16, 2007 American Conservative:

Regarding Kara Hopkins's "Stupid Party" (June 18), I too have been thinking about the exchange between Rudy Giuliani and Ron Paul about 9/11. I have been a lifelong Republican and have been a supporter of the war, which I can back up with a Department of Defense DD Form 214 showing my service in Iraq. After quite a lot of reflection, I still hold the same beliefs about why we are at war. However, my sense of how we should be fighting it has changed.

I voted for Bush in 2004 because I couldn't vote for a guy who openly admitted to comitting atrocities in Vietnam while he was an officer and should have had the leadership and moral courage to stop. And I supported the war because both Clinton and Bush told us there were WMD. God help our civil liberties if Saddam drops one of those on an American city, I thought, though I was not of an interventionist mindset. (I believe that all of our soldiers should have returned to within the U.S. borders after the end of the Cold War.)

I served my tour in Iraq after it was clear the WMD would never be found and stood by my helicopter and saluted with tears in my eyes as the body bags containing the remains of my fellow GI's (some weighing less than 30 pounds) were loaded.

As I crisscrossed thousands of square miles of Iraq, I had high expectations about the country becoming free and prosperous. I was there for the first two elections and hoped with all my soul that they would quit killing each other and, of course, us. After I got out of the country, I followed the news every day, searching for some hint that the violence was abating. I listened in vain. We cannot install a democracy there. The hatred is so deep that we would have as much luck invading Lebanon, Palestine, and Israel, combining them into one country, and having them vote in one democracy.

Every great general in history knew when he had lost a battle and had sense enough to withdraw, regroup, and rethink his strategy. Once soldiers see that they are dying in vain, a general rapidly loses the support of his men—and even more so when he is giving orders from the rear. It doesn't help when they know he didn't spend time in the foxholes in his youth.

If Americans believe we are at war with all of Islam or we are at war to keep the oil flowing, then we had better buckle down and fight all out like WWII. Quit trying to pretend that we can go on enjoying peacetime lives while tossing a few sons and daughters toward a far-off battle. It is going to take a lot of bodies to kill 1.5 billion Muslims.

If, however, as I believe, we are at war with a radical few, then we need to get out of the Middle East and deprive al-Qaeda of the rallying and recruitment point American occupation provides. Those thinking I have become an appeaser and pacifict could not be more wrong. It is my firm belief that all things in this universe are about force and counterforce and the struggle to survive. Terrorism will always be with us, and I will fight without hesitation for my freedom and right to live, but war is a ghastly thing that brings out the worst elements of human nature. If we can find different strategies that cost fewer lives and defuse the constant human struggles wherever possible, we must go that route.

I was wrong about the war and have to admit my mistake. As I look around for a leader to replace Bush, I have to go back and see who was making sounder judgments than I during the time of 9/11 hysteria. It wasn't any of the "top tier candidates," Democrat or Republican. That person was Ron Paul.

JOEL (LAST NAME WITHHELD)

July 16, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  9. Gary DuVall, Chicago, IL

Yeah, this is really someone we could have confidence in if he were President. When he has to rebuild his entire campaign from scratch multiple times and spent far more than he had, I have very little confidence that he could ever be an effective leader.

Honestly, he'd be great in a cabinet position, but certainly not as the Commander-in-Chief.

December 18, 2007 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  10. Ian, Eastham MA

>Unfortunately in this country money is the only thing that gets you close to presidency and 2.5 mil "in the bank" wont do it.

Good thing Ron Paul raised more than 18 million this quarter! Yup! He's going to win. Why don't you look at his website and see for yourself.

Vote on the issues people, not who people tell you "can win". The person with the most votes wins.

December 18, 2007 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |