July 16th, 2007

Richardson not interested in No. 2 spot

Richardson said Monday he’s not interested in being vice president..

WASHINGTON (CNN) - His impeccable résumé, foreign policy credentials, and relation to an important battleground state landed New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson on John Kerry’s shortlist for the vice presidential nominee in 2004.

But Richardson, currently a Democratic presidential hopeful himself, said Monday he’s not interested in the No. 2 post if it was offered at some point down the road, telling CNN “There is a better job, it’s called governor of New Mexico.”

“I’m not running for vice president, and I believe after this debate is over I’m going to win - but I don’t want to be vice president,” Richardson told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “I’ve got the best job, governor of New Mexico.

“I can go ride my horse and get into foreign policy, as I have done as a governor,” he added.

In addition to his current post, Richardson is a former U.S. congressman, ambassador to the United Nations, and energy secretary. He has also engaged in several talks with North Korea.

In 2004, Bush won New Mexico by only 6,000 votes.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. J.O., Seattle, WA

I think I remember John Edwards saying exactly the same thing: when running for the Democratic nomination in the last presidential election, Edwards unequivocally stated that he would never accept an offer to run for Vice President. Then he did run for VP, which made me lose a lot of respect for him. I hope Bill Richardson isn't telling a similar lie.

July 16, 2007 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  2. Richard, Austin, Texas

Impeccable Resume? Wasn't he the one in charge of Los Alamos (Energy Secretary) when the computer hard drives with top secret information disappeared from labs there? I remember quite clearly the media and Bil Richardson were having a love affair trying to set him up as presidential candidate shortly before the computer drives disappeared. Right after that Richardson magically disappeared from the media spotlight until now.

I think Vice president would be too much for him to handle much less president.

July 16, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Much more experience than Obama, much more integrity than Hillary, much less hair-obsessed than Edwards, a much better choice if we were a Board hiring a CEO for our government.

July 16, 2007 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Tens of millions of Americans spoke out making it clear to the senate in no uncertain terms they expected their senators to vote down the immigration bill that ultimately failed. That was the will of the American people. Go to Americans for better immigration.com and look at Bill Richardson's immigration rating and ask yourself if we need to fight the next president like we has to fight this one to do the right thing for America. Bill Richardson is just another George Bush in my book

July 16, 2007 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  5. Paul, Baltimore, MD

"Impeccable resume?" Isn't that editorializing? Nothing against Richardson, but shouldn't make it clearer who said this? Sounds like the reporter is making the statement

July 16, 2007 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  6. Earl

He is lying and any candidate that says that is lying. Many candidates just say that because they want the voters to realize that they are serious about running for President.

July 16, 2007 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  7. Samir, Saint Paul, MN

I would like to see Governor Richardson as the next Secretary of State, he certainly has the stature and the foreign policy credentials

July 16, 2007 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  8. Walter Rodriguez,HOUSTON TX

I will suport Richarson if hi ran for president,

July 16, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  9. ACA, San Diego, CA

Seriously, what are his chances of getting the Democratic nomination... they're slim to none. That's too bad. I really like Richardson, and I think he would make a great American leader.

July 16, 2007 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  10. Dug Corpolongo Albuquerque NM

For the sake of the country, I hope he changes his mind.

July 16, 2007 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  11. Rich, Fogelsville PA

He's not interested...now.

July 17, 2007 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  12. James Atlanta GA

Seriously, would we really want him as our VP. Every time he has been in a position to show us how he would be a better candidate than the rest of the field he has "choked." His answers to simple questions that other candidates aced were confusing. He also has a tendency to shove his resume in our face. Past actions only count so much. Leadership, here and now, is also a good judge of how well you will be as a president too. If everyone voted based simply on what canidates did in the past, Sen McCain's campaign would be booming, instead of imploding, right now for the GOP's nominee. Show us something for the here-and-now and the future Gov. Richardson, and you may have a shot.

July 17, 2007 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  13. RightyTighty

Bill Richardson is the only dem with valid experience to be our next President. The others have nothing but a window show for the leftist.

July 17, 2007 11:14 am at 11:14 am |