July 18th, 2007

Elizabeth Edwards takes starring role

Elizabeth Edwards stars in a new campaign ad.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Sen. John Edwards’ wife appears in a new ad debuting in New Hampshire Wednesday where she describes her husband as someone “who can stare the worst in the face and not blink.”

“I have been blessed for the last 30 years to be married to the most optimistic person that I have ever met,” Elizabeth Edwards says in the ad. “But, at the same time, he has an unbelievable toughness.”

John Edwards, who was his party’s vice presidential nominee in 2004, is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination.

Despite a battle with cancer, Mrs. Edwards continues to play a visible role in her husband’s presidential campaign by traveling the country and delivering speeches on his behalf. But this is the first ad the campaign has launched that solely features Mrs. Edwards.

And even though Mrs. Edwards continues to be a very public face of the campaign, a top campaign aide bushed aside suggestions that she is becoming the dominant voice in the campaign.

“That’s silly,” Edwards’ Deputy Campaign Manager Jonathan Prince said in a conference call Wednesday with reporters.

– CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Hardie, Raliegh NC

The worst Edwards has faced so far has been scuff marks on the floor of the multimillion dollar b-ball court in Chapel Hill.

July 18, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  2. W is Still the Prez

So as we can see, Mr. John "I'm the Breck Girl" Edwards is going for the pity votes through his sick wife.

Shame Shame Shame Mr. Breck Girl

July 18, 2007 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  3. susan Bell

John Edward has a brilliant wife who totally supports him and his bid for president. She is his best friend and a great spokesperson.

She speaks with kindness and compassion which this country desperately needs.

July 18, 2007 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  4. Jennifer, Houston, TX

Right, Hardie, scuff marks. Clearly that was harder than the death of his sixteen year old son or his wife being diagnosed with breat cancer.

I'm so tired of people in this country taking cheap swipes at candidates. Especially when they're dead wrong.

Do you think you're clever? You're not. You're ignorant. Maybe you should do your part to help America by educating yourself.

July 18, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

An attorney that made millions by suing doctors – and then running for President complaining healthcare is too expensive and should be made available to all Americans...

A) The hair-care products have disabled Mr Edwards from understanding the cost of Malpractice and it's relationship to general medical costs for patients these days

or

B) Mr Edwards is hoping for hundreds of new clients after the Canadian-style program is made available to Americans – who then sue because they were forced to wait 2 months for the next available medical appointment.

Maybe Elizabeth could answer it for us? How would she have felt waiting several months for treatment of her illness if forced into such a system?

July 18, 2007 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  6. T M Charlottetown PEI

I admire Mrs. Edwards determination in the face of her adversity. However, to continue with the Presidential Campaign after learning his wife's cancer had returned, gave me the impression John Edwards is a very self-centered individual. Even with Elizabeth's media statement that she wanted him to continue the campaign, I feel a better man would have put her health issues and future first.

She is the mother of their three children after all. If his wife does not come first, I would think the mother of their children would. In my view, this indicates a poor sense of responsibility and priorities.

I don't feel this couple is the Real Deal. I also don't feel Elizabeth should be critiquing other candidates. It only makes her husband appear more weak and incapable.

July 18, 2007 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  7. GoFranken, Minneapolis

Did you all know Edwards is ahead in IOWA?

EDWARDS/OBAMA '08

July 19, 2007 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  8. Jennifer, Houston, TX

T M, what would you have them do? Sit around at home, stare at each other & wait to die? Elizabeth is healthy right now. Her treatment is minor, and doesn't require other people to care for her. She will likely live for many years to come. And that's what she wants to do – live! Who are we to judge how she lives her life? Her children seem well taken care of, and they have a mother who is full of life, fighting for something she believes in. She is spending her life on something that she is passionate about. What could be better than that?

Seriously, I would like to know...what would you have them do differently? What, exactly, is it that they are doing wrong? What should John Edwards be doing to take care of her? How is he not putting her first? He's not holding up her treatments, he's respecting how she wants to live her life...please, I would like to know specifically what you think they should be doing with their lives.

Not that we have any right to tell them, but I have heard this criticism before, and I would really like to know.

July 19, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  9. Tricia M Charlottetown, PEI

Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca
    "Canadian-style program is made available to Americans"

If you are speaking to the Canadian Health Care Program I wonder if you truly understand the same?

As a Canadian I can tell you this:

1) We dont' pay for Doctor visits, Surgeries, Specialists, Cat Scans, MRI's, X-Rays, Blood Work, Eco Cardiograms, or any other procedures.
    2) We do not pay for hospital stays regardless of the number of days, weeks, or months.
    3) We do not pay for our yearly physicals with our GP.
    4) Our Senior's have a Green Card which gives them a discount on their prescriptions and eye exams.
    5) Our Social Assistace recipients receive prescriptions free. They and their children receive the same free medical care as other citizens. Emergency dental work, eye exams, and glasses are also covered. By emergency I mean, a tooth that is causing pain and needs extraction, etc. And I'm sure there are other dental and optical procedures covered as well.

6) If we require a Specialist out of Province it is paid for. If we require surgery out of province it is paid for. We can also request to see a Specialist out of province free of charge.
    7) Those wanting additional coverage for prescriptions, dental, semi private and private hospital accomodations can buy into other Provincial and/or Corporate Insurance Plans for extra coverage.

I know an Islander, now Nursing in Texas, who can't afford the surgery she needs. She gave up her Nursing Position as she couldn't bare seeing the number of sick people being turned away due to lack of funds for health care services in Texas. Seniors, Children, alike.

Canadians wouldn't leave home for a vacation in the US without purchasing additional health care coverage as we are all aware of the astronomical costs of Health Care should we be hospitalized in the US while travelling.

I wouldn't trade my Canadian Health Care for your present American Plan for any amount of money. So, before you give others the wrong impression on our Canadian Health Care, check it out.

I can call and have a Dr's Appt. the same day if it's a serious problem and/or in a day or less than a week. Most surgeries here are conducted within a month and if they are crucial they do their Utmost to schedule them ASAP.

I posted this before but it didn't make the grade for some reason? Maybe CNN is biased on Canadian Health Care or doesn't want Americans to know the real truth about our Canadian Coverage. Of course the way they unjustly slammed Moore I guess I can understand why.

July 20, 2007 07:44 am at 7:44 am |